Will this Kind of Outrage Never Stop?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Will this Kind of Outrage Never Stop?

Post by ajax18 »

I hear Minneapolis is looking for some good police officers. Anyone here need a job?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

The jury in Minneapolis has reached a verdict. Brace yourselves!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:40 pm
The jury in Minneapolis has reached a verdict. Brace yourselves!
Dang you! You beat me to it! Yes, brace ourselves for sure.

This verdict came back fast. I'm thinking guilty. I really think that at least the manslaughter charge warrants it.

We'll see.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

There's tons of these. This is mainly where I've been following.

WATCH LIVE | Verdict to be announced in the trial of Derek Chauvin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm48swwALnc
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If this man doesn't get jail time, all hell is going to break loose.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

GUILTY AF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Thank goodness for small favors.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm
GUILTY AF
I’ve never seen a verdict form that used those terms, but they might be applicable in this case.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I know there are people freaking out over this, but my biggest takeaway is that a jury weighed the evidenced and found the accused guilty. Our judicial system, whatever one thinks of it, is pretty remarkable sometimes. Personally I believe he was appropriately charged and rightfully found guilty when viewed not in context of the media coverage, but from the trial - if you paid attention to it. I’m glad to see that a person who in the past would’ve had a good chance at walking because he’s a LEO and the victim who was objectively not awesome from a legal perspective, both received justice. I think my only real add-on would be that, imho, real justice would’ve come in the form of our society shifting our massive funding of a military industrial complex to a mental and physical healthcare system that helps instead of criminalizes. We’re way too aggressive and adversarial with one another, systemically. I know the world has a lot of issues, but I’m not sure we should be expending treasury dollars on everyone else when we’re decaying from within. An anecdote:

My neighbor has a daughter who’s been in and out of jail due to drug addiction and her related actions. She even lost her children to the state. I was talking to the neighbor and she mentioned that her daughter went to a treatment program ran by the Other Side Academy here in SLC. There she finally was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, treated, made it through the program, and stabilized enough to become a staff member. For the first time in her life her brain is balanced out, and she has a meaningful existence. Instead of jail, crime, and an early death she actually has a shot to live a life free from the bonds of addiction and mental illness.

I’d like to see more of that, and less of us dropping ordinance on some cave dwellers at literally millions per mission. The cost of warfare is a sin so egregious and onerous that it turns my stomach when I see hundreds of Americans walking around like zombies in my own city. There has to be a middle ground between what we’ve been doing and ‘free everything’. Surely we can figure this out.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:56 pm
I think my only real add-on would be that, imho, real justice would’ve come in the form of our society shifting our massive funding of a military industrial complex to a mental and physical healthcare system that helps instead of criminalizes. We’re way too aggressive and adversarial with one another, systemically. I know the world has a lot of issues, but I’m not sure we should be expending treasury dollars on everyone else when we’re decaying from within.

I’d like to see more of that, and less of us dropping ordinance on some cave dwellers at literally millions per mission. The cost of warfare is a sin so egregious and onerous that it turns my stomach when I see hundreds of Americans walking around like zombies in my own city. There has to be a middle ground between what we’ve been doing and ‘free everything’. Surely we can figure this out.
+1,000,000

I happen to have a client in downtown Minneapolis, and perhaps 20 minutes before it hit the news, I got an automated phone call notifying me that the jury had reached its verdict and that I should get out of the city immediately.

I was just notified that we can go back to work tomorrow, so apparently there won't be riots.