Schryver embracing the Transmitter methodology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Schryver embracing the Transmitter methodology

Post by _sock puppet »

Over at the once aplty named MAD board, Will Schryver recently explained that he believes that as to the BoAbr, Book of Mormon, BoMoses and D&C 7, JSJr was just a transmitter.
Will Schryver wrote:My study of the [Joseph Smith Egyptian Papers, i.e. the KEP] has convinced me that the text of the Book of Abraham was produced similarly to the Book of Mormon (and also the Book of Moses and D&C 7): it was effectively transmitted through the Prophet Joseph Smith. I do not believe that Joseph Smith took much of an active role at all in terms of the formulation of those texts. I believe the evidence is more or less conclusive in that respect. Frankly, I think those who see things otherwise have been blinded by an overwhelming motivation to explain what they perceive as the "problems" presented by apparent anachronisms in the text, as well as other elements they believe to be inconsistent with a "divinely delivered" text. I, on the other hand, believe those considerations must be utterly ignored when examining the textual and historical evidence. The evidence must be permitted to speak for itself, untainted by any motivations to liberate the Book of Mormon from the perceived shackles of what are otherwise believed to be its textual anachronisms. I don't believe we can ever come to an accurate understanding of the seemingly anachronistic elements in the text if we do not accurately understand the nature of how that text was delivered through Joseph Smith, and I (and others) are convinced that when it comes to these restored ancient texts, the evidence suggests overwhelmingly that Joseph Smith was (with very few exceptions) merely the medium through which the text of the Book of Mormon was transmitted.

It makes one wonder what Will's explanation would be, then, for why JSJr fashioned himself a "translator", or how then he explains away god's errancy concerning the anachronisms if JSJr was just a transmitter.
_jon
_Emeritus

Re: Schryver embracing the Transmitter methodology

Post by _jon »

I wonder if posting on MAD was what Schryver had in mind when he thought (wrongly as it turns out) that someone would take his scholarship seriously enough to publish it...
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_floatingboy
_Emeritus

Post by _floatingboy »

for reals. odd that he can't (won't?) see all the glaring problems with such a statement. just takin' it on faith, i guess!
-"I was gonna say something but I forgot what it was."
-"Well, it must not have been very important or you wouldn't've forgotten it!"
-"Oh, I remember. I'm radioactive."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Folks, this is why William Schryver' "work" (and I use that term loosely) will never be published or taken seriously by the apologists again. Oh, and also all of the misogyny.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

It seems Will has been looking and thinking about the papyri and the KEP too long. That is, the rational part of his mind (wee as it may be) can no longer explain away all the inconsistencies between the papyri and the BoAbr text, particularly in light of the KEP tie-in.

Best just to untether the BoAbr text from that pesky papyri, the Book of Mormon from those darned plates, etc. It sort of leaves JSJr hanging out it the wind. All those years with Moroni appearing in JSJr's bedroom at night, there being a stone box in the hill, seeing but not getting the plates, a giant white toad slapping JSJr, him thinking that he was translating and calling himself a 'translator' as part of his religious title as the titular head of early Mormonism--all just a ruse. God somehow needed JSJr to think he was translating ancient texts when he was, all along, not doing so. Quite the elaborate scheme for god to perpetrate on JSJr, rather than just tell JSJr that he was going to be a transmitter--you know, sort of how god just talked to him face to face in the grove. No, that wouldn't do, this JSJr couldn't be trusted to know that's how it would work, elohim needed to go to this elaborate ruse.

And then there is the elaborate ruse around the BoAbr... .
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

sock puppet wrote:It makes one wonder what Will's explanation would be, then, for why JSJr fashioned himself a "translator", or how then he explains away god's errancy concerning the anachronisms if JSJr was just a transmitter.

Sort of like the radio tower thinking it was solely making the sound. Was this idea accepted on that forum?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace