DCP Responds to Getting "Fired" from the Review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Responds to Getting "Fired" from the Review

Post by _lulu »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I love . . . the Institute.
Which is why he's not going to fund raise for it any more.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:* I don't intend to "go nuclear." I love the Church, the University, and the Institute.

Sure you do. It's all about love. But you'll just use conventional weapons. No need to use weapons of mass destruction. Knives and guns will do just fine. Right?

Paul O

Come on Paul, just because all of us at one time or other have been emotionally wounded, it does not mean we abandon all we hold dear whether it be our jobs, cars, faith or favorite brand of diet cola.

"Going nuclear" at BYU can be as simple as passing of the Jell-O during Cougar Day.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

lulu wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:I love . . . the Institute.
Which is why he's not going to fund raise for it any more.

Hmmmm... it looks like there will be a position open for a fundraiser. Should I apply? I'm usually around the $400K mark every year...
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

harmony wrote:Hmmmm... it looks like there will be a position open for a fundraiser. Should I apply? I'm usually around the $400K mark every year...

Go for it. You'll have to live BYU standards though.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Cinepro posted this on MDD:

By furthering religious scholarship through the study of scripture and other texts,
Brigham Young University's Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship seeks to deepen understanding and nurture discipleship among Latter-day Saints while promoting mutual respect and goodwill among people of all faiths.

This is the MI's Mission Statement, and he rightly asked, "Where does apologetics fit into this?" The thing is, they revised this at some point. It used to list "defending the faith" at part of the mission (If I recall correctly). A lot of the people on that thread seem to think that DCP et al.'s brand of apologetics is necessary to defend the faith, but that just isn't true. People like Bushman, Givens, and Quinn can be considered "defenders of the faith," too. The difference is that they aren't conducting smear campaigns, waging ad hominem wars, and so on.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

lulu wrote:Go for it. You'll have to live BYU standards though.

I live BYU standards without needing the Honor Code.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Scratch :smile:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
People like Bushman, Givens, and Quinn can be considered "defenders of the faith," too.

Although my scope of knowledge in very narrow concerning the names you list above (I have heard/read of them to some degree), It is my opinion that Bokovoy is near the top of any "defenders of the Mormon faith" list.

in my opinion he is a great guy, brilliant, compassionate, and has long ago earned my deepest respect and admiration. (I frequently enjoy his "light" that he so graciously and humbly shares) :smile:

Just wanted to add him, for what it's worth.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Hi, Ceeboo.

Sure: Bokovoy could be considered a "defender" of the Church, though he has said that he has no interesting in apologetics, mainly (in my opinion) because of how tainted that term has become, thanks to the antics of the MI Mopologists.

You know: there is great irony in the fact that the MDD-ites are now demanding that the MI and the Review be allowed to do "apologetics" (that's the exact word they use), in spite of the fact that they are so touchy about being labeled "apologists," as if it's a perjorative.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Ceeboo wrote:Although my scope of knowledge in very narrow concerning the names you list above (I have heard/read of them to some degree), It is my opinion that Bokovoy is near the top of any "defenders of the Mormon faith" list.

in my opinion he is a great guy, brilliant, compassionate, and has long ago earned my deepest respect and admiration. (I frequently enjoy his "light" that he so graciously and humbly shares) :smile:

Just wanted to add him, for what it's worth.

Peace,
Ceeboo

I agree, Ceeboo. But I think David Bokovoy has let it be known that he is no longer going to engage in apologetics.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Kishkumen wrote:I agree, Ceeboo. But I think David Bokovoy has let it be known that he is no longer going to engage in apologetics.

David needs a real job.