Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Re: Misconceptions about the Mormon Church (U.K.)

Post by _Mary »

Just like the days of old, the persecution of Mormons is continuing. The hatred for the lds church knows no bounds. And what did the lds church do to deserve it? Not much. But who is the source of such hatred?

Sigh... No one is persecuting Mormons here Why Me, anymore than Martin Luther was persecuting the Pope. Good grief.

I would also hazard a guess that no-one actually 'hates' the Mormon Church. I strongly dislike certain practices, theology, doctrine and culture but then again some of it I really like/d.

I do expect the church to be honest as they taught me from a teenager onward. So I repeat Why Me...

Was Stephen Kerr being dishonest, disingenuous or plain ignorant in his presentation of the history of polygamy?
How could he have presented the information in a way that would have been both honest and succinct?
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Mary wrote:
Sigh... No one is persecuting Mormons here Why Me, anymore than Martin Luther was persecuting the Pope. Good grief.

I would also hazard a guess that no-one actually 'hates' the Mormon Church. I strongly dislike certain practices, theology, doctrine and culture but then again some of it I really like/d.

mary, mary, mary....the general trend on this forum is to be critical of the lds church and dump loads of garbage on it. The lds church is hated by many posters. Have you seen Infymus and hobos posts? What you need to do is to use your sociological imagination by taking a step outside yourself to see the board, anew.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Sammy Jankins wrote:Misconceptions about the Mormon Church

Not sure who put this together, but I thought it was interesting that they tried to address some of the difficult issues in this short video.

My name is why me and I support this video. Spot on.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Mary wrote:
Was Stephen Kerr being dishonest, disingenuous or plain ignorant in his presentation of the history of polygamy?
How could he have presented the information in a way that would have been both honest and succinct?

Mary, mary, mary...we all know that this is a 6 minute video dealing with the misconceptions that people have of the lds church. And it did a good job. Thus, the hatred in the comments section. Since people do not have to give their real name, they can flame and bomb the comments section. and that is what they did. Here we have a good church, preaching wonderful values and yet, facing hatred from human beings who have no understanding of the value foundation of the lds church.

What should have been said about polygamy to people who believe that it is still practiced today? People who confuse the lds with the flds? Really Mary, we need a reality check.
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Whoever is in charge of member retention must have their head up their ass.

Want to reach the youth?

Have a bunch of old crusty men explain things. :rolleyes:

LDS Inc does far more damage to their membership numbers than so called anti Mormons.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

why me wrote:
mary, mary, mary....the general trend on this forum is to be critical of the lds church and dump loads of garbage on it. The lds church is hated by many posters. Have you seen Infymus and hobos posts? What you need to do is to use your sociological imagination by taking a step outside yourself to see the board, anew.

LMFAO!!!!!

The way you talk about Jews and Catholics, and you say I have hate? You're the anti-Semetic, anti-Catholic, deceitful hypocrite here.

If you think posting the TRUTH about the Mormon church "dump loads of garbage on it", then you would be the expert, considering the anti-Catholic and anti-semetic garbage you spew.

Not to mention your "light cotton" hang up. You can perv up a completely normal conversation quicker than anyone I have ever seen.

In other words, pot, meet kettle.

The only thing I relish is showing how idiotic your posts and point of view are, along with showing the truth about Mormonism, and smith and company.

You've never answered my 2 questions.

1. When do Mormons ever take responsibility for their actions?

2. Don't you get tired of being a hypocrite?
_hobo1512
_Emeritus

Post by _hobo1512 »

why me wrote:
Mary wrote:

Mary, mary, mary...we all know that this is a 6 minute video dealing with the misconceptions that people have of the lds church. And it did a good job. Thus, the hatred in the comments section. Since people do not have to give their real name, they can flame and bomb the comments section. and that is what they did. Here we have a good church, preaching wonderful values and yet, facing hatred from human beings who have no understanding of the value foundation of the lds church.

What should have been said about polygamy to people who believe that it is still practiced today? People who confuse the lds with the flds? Really Mary, we need a reality check.

So in all of their "wisdom", why didn't they have a Black person explain the whole priesthood thing? Gotta wonder if that PR person got fired.

A good church? Did you not see the thread about the mission president's manual, about how to beat the IRS, among other things?

The way they skirted the whole polygamy thing is hilarious. They forgot to tell the part about smith getting caught with his pants down by Emma now didn't they.

They stopped accepting comments, unless of course they sing the song of smith. That is censorship, and controlling information is a sure sign of a cult.

by the way, that's not hate, that's fact. Just in case you can't tell the difference.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:Whoever is in charge of member retention must have their head up their ass.

Want to reach the youth?

Have a bunch of old crusty men explain things. :rolleyes:

LDS Inc does far more damage to their membership numbers than so called anti Mormons.

Not exactly. Much depends on the seminary and institute teacher. I do believe that the manuals are changing a bit. But much always depends on the teachers. Certainly, the message that the lds church has for the youth is not a bad message at all. In fact, it is a good message. Even those parents who have left the church wish that their teachers would have such values taught in seminary.
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

hobo1512 wrote:
by the way, still waiting on your proof that Ryan was chosen as Romney's running mate because he was Catholic.

You've never provided a legit reference in your life.

Romney called Ryan "a faithful Catholic" who "believes in the worth and dignity of every human life." He lauded the fifth-generation Wisconsin native serving his seventh term in Congress as "an intellectual leader of the Republican Party" and a person who will help lead the country "to widespread and shared prosperity."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/11/polit ... index.html
Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

My name is why me and I support this video. Spot on.

If it were accurate I would be supporting it too.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov