Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_dryfly
_Emeritus

Re: Another Discernment Fail: BYU Law Hires Sociopath

Post by _dryfly »

My day was made in reading about this self diagnosed and professing sociopath who has gone on Dr. Phil wearing a "disguise" (you betcha) in order to try and find out "what she is dealing with". Or she simply tired of the law, scanned the best seller list, and figured she could sell a book. As Hunter Thompson once wrote, "It's sad. But what's really sad is it never got weird enough for me."
Dryfly only pawn in game of life - almost Mel Brooks
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Kishkumen wrote:Oh, you'd better believe it is true. My spouse, a law professor, learned about this some days ago and was hoping her identity would come out so that she (my wife) would not be asked about it. She had narrowed down the options (there are few) to Lund, and was curious about how BYU would handle the situation.

She concurs with me that Lund is probably a narcissist.

That's my arm-chair diagnosis as well (for what it's worth; I claim no special expertise). Sociopathy is tough to diagnose and shares some overlapping traits with narcissism. But, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. That said, sociopaths generally go to great lengths to hide their disorder and try to mimic "normal" to try to fit in. Their manipulative scheming is much more successful if the people around them are unaware that they are dealing with a conscienceless person.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

dryfly wrote:My day was made in reading about this self diagnosed and professing sociopath who has gone on Dr. Phil wearing a "disguise" (you betcha) in order to try and find out "what she is dealing with". Or she simply tired of the law, scanned the best seller list, and figured she could sell a book. As Hunter Thompson once wrote, "It's sad. But what's really sad is it never got weird enough for me."

I'm sure the book figures big in her calculus. I heard it is crap. According to readers, she focuses on herself far too much.

Go figure.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Equality wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Oh, you'd better believe it is true. My spouse, a law professor, learned about this some days ago and was hoping her identity would come out so that she (my wife) would not be asked about it. She had narrowed down the options (there are few) to Lund, and was curious about how BYU would handle the situation.

She concurs with me that Lund is probably a narcissist.

That's my arm-chair diagnosis as well (for what it's worth; I claim no special expertise). Sociopathy is tough to diagnose and shares some overlapping traits with narcissism. But, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. That said, sociopaths generally go to great lengths to hide their disorder and try to mimic "normal" to try to fit in. Their manipulative scheming is much more successful if the people around them are unaware that they are dealing with a conscienceless person.

I'm going with narcissism plus really bad website. I think Narcissism+RBW is going to be included in the next iteration of the DSM.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Equality wrote:A recent article in Psychology Today has made some waves. It is written by a self-described sociopath. The author is a faithful Mormon who describes the church as the perfect organization for a sociopath. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/confessions-sociopath

It's actually an interesting read, even without the Mormon connection. Recently, the author went on Dr. Phil (anonymously). But she gave so many details of her life away that she was fairly quickly identified as one Jamie R. Lund, who most recently taught at St. Mary's Law School in Texas. See here.

Well, it seems that the Spirit was asleep at the switch again. Of all the qualified candidates for a position at BYU Law School (I assure you the market for law teaching jobs is incredibly competitive--there were likely hundreds of candidates, even for a position at BYU, which requires even non-Mormons to keep the so-called Honor Code, including the prohibition on coffee and tea), the inspired leaders of that fine institution landed upon a confessed sociopath as the one to hire. Or maybe sociopathy is a trait that Mormon God prefers in the people who teach at the Lord's University?

Edited to add: The Orwellians strike again. BYU used to have a video presentation from Professor Lund up on their web site. It has quickly been dispatched down the memory hole: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtdyIxK2rEAJ:https://www.law.byu.edu/Law_School/Recordings+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

So, it is your contention then, that if the Church is true, the BYU administration would be, by definition, mediated by the direct revelations of the Holy Ghost in its hiring decisions? How about what brand of toilet pater to use in the law faculty bathrooms? How about determinations of grades?
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Droopy wrote:So, it is your contention then, that if the Church is true, the BYU administration would be, by definition, mediated by the direct revelations of the Holy Ghost in its hiring decisions? How about what brand of toilet pater to use in the law faculty bathrooms? How about determinations of grades?

This doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption to me. The burning of the bosom could be a valuable aid in selecting faculty. Choosing only the most acceptable to the Holy Ghost.

Grading students carries that same weight. The Holy Ghost would certainly have an opinion on which students best promoted God's will in all things.

Toilet paper is very important. No doubt the custodian in charge of those matters would rely heavily on promptings from the Holy Ghost on the use of which brand is best suited to protect the sacred garments of both faculty and students from inadvertent defilement.

The custodian may feel the burning in a different bodily location, however.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

Quasimodo wrote:
Droopy wrote:So, it is your contention then, that if the Church is true, the BYU administration would be, by definition, mediated by the direct revelations of the Holy Ghost in its hiring decisions? How about what brand of toilet pater to use in the law faculty bathrooms? How about determinations of grades?

This doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption to me. The burning of the bosom could be a valuable aid in selecting faculty. Choosing only the most acceptable to the Holy Ghost.

Grading students carries that same weight. The Holy Ghost would certainly have an opinion on which students best promoted God's will in all things.

Toilet paper is very important. No doubt the custodian in charge of those matters would rely heavily on promptings from the Holy Ghost on the use of which brand is best suited to protect the garments of both faculty and students from inadvertent defilement.

In other words, a faux thread about a faux subject generates faux answers to questions about its faux nature.

Move along...nothing to see here.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Are you saying that the Holy Ghost does not help faithful Mormons in carrying out their employment-related duties? Do you not believe in the promise given in Moroni 10:5?
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

So, it is your contention then, that if the Church is true, the BYU administration would be, by definition, mediated by the direct revelations of the Holy Ghost in its hiring decisions? How about what brand of toilet pater to use in the law faculty bathrooms? How about determinations of grades?[/quote]

When I was teaching at BYU we were told numerous times that "The Brethren" personally approved every hire at the school.

Considering what asshats some of them are, this professor makes perfect sense.
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Droopy wrote:In other words, a faux thread about a faux subject generates faux answers to questions about its faux nature.

Move along...nothing to see here.

Hopefully not. Garments, I believe, are to be white. One wouldn't want to see brown or yellow segments.

I think you brought up toilet paper in the first place. I'm sure you weren't being sarcastic, were you?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.