Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Sledge
Area Authority

Re: Chapstick owns the apologists on the Liahona

Post by Sledge »

My reason for posting on this thread was to show the OPs Enquirer clickbait headline was a lie, and that in actuality “Chapstick” got owned so hard in the SeN thread he didn’t know what do do with himself.

But of course tabloid writers here jump on that kind of information and turn it around to fit their cause à la Fox News.

And here’s a shocker: I actually don’t think it’s much of a problem to believe the Book of Mormon is not ancient. (I expect to see this in your signature line, OP.)
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

"Bambi... Why is that man with a cowboy hat trying to put a saddle and a bridle on you?"
Moroni's wife: "Honey, the kids and I went to the stable this morning and roped up Bambi for you; a snack for the road. And by the way, you're getting too old to pull that chariot with all your war gear into battle by yourself. Do you ever think about what will happen to us if one day, you don't come back?"
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Sledge wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:05 pm
My reason for posting on this thread was to show the OPs Enquirer clickbait headline was a lie, and that in actuality “Chapstick” got owned so hard in the SeN thread he didn’t know what do do with himself.

But of course tabloid writers here jump on that kind of information and turn it around to fit their cause à la Fox News.

And here’s a shocker: I actually don’t think it’s much of a problem to believe the Book of Mormon is not ancient. (I expect to see this in your signature line, OP.)
No it the “F” wasn’t:
Sledge wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:15 am
“Honey, I think we’re lost.”

“Hang on, let me check the torpedo.”
You engaged in nonsense apologetics, and now you’re backpedaling. Just own your intent.

Or not.

Whatever.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Your objection:
Without resorting to whataboutism, does anyone here seriously think a compass is close to a torpedo in form or function?
then you revealed:
I’m quite familiar with the details of the arguments for and against the parallels in The Late War and The Book of Mormon
If that's so, then please cite an excerpt from any of your three sources that make the argument "a torpedo and a compass are not related in form or function".

That argument is poor enough, that I have a hard time believing even Jeff Lindsey would make it. I could be wrong, of course, as he has made some terrible arguments. It's just there are clearly better options here. Terribleness isn't always a function of stupidity, but a function of lack of options.

If you can't quickly find that argument in the papers you cite then either a) you're not nearly as "familiar" as you claim to be or b) the argument doesn't exist in those papers.

If (b), then isn't it odd that those tremendous scholars would miss such a powerful response? What it probably means is the response isn't very good even by Mopologist standards, otherwise one of your sources would have thought of it already.

If your purpose in bringing up the form-function argument was to show how badly Chapstick got owned by LB, then you need to up your game with Physics Guy, who has been quite patient with you. In lieu of that, showing where the argument is made by the best and brightest would at least put the argument on the table as a serious response by the standards of team apologetics. If your own community (beyond the scope of that thread) doesn't recognize the significance of the argument, then that should be a problem for you.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Sledge wrote:

And here’s a shocker: I actually don’t think it’s much of a problem to believe the Book of Mormon is not ancient.
No doubt that's a major part of the reason why don't get how/why the Mopologists were "owned" this time around. The *do* think it's a *huge* problem if the Book of Mormon "is not ancient." The whole entire Church is a fraud if it's not ancient, in fact. Not only that, they think it must have taken place in Latin America, and have been in a protracted, decade+ war with the Heartlanders over this issue.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

Gadianton wrote:
If that's so, then please cite an excerpt from any of your three sources that make the argument "a torpedo and a compass are not related in form or function".

That argument is poor enough, that I have a hard time believing even Jeff Lindsey would make it. I could be wrong, of course, as he has made some terrible arguments. It's just there are clearly better options here. Terribleness isn't always a function of stupidity, but a function of lack of options.

If you can't quickly find that argument in the papers you cite then either a) you're not nearly as "familiar" as you claim to be or b) the argument doesn't exist in those papers.
The reason the argument doesn't exist in those papers in the exact way you want is because to compare a torpedo (even a naval mine) with a compass is so absurd--so preposterous, that no serious person would make such a comparison. Again, my purpose in joining this thread was simply to show your community how silly click-bait headlines are when actually examined.
If your purpose in bringing up the form-function argument was to show how badly Chapstick got owned by LB, then you need to up your game with Physics Guy, who has been quite patient with you. In lieu of that, showing where the argument is made by the best and brightest would at least put the argument on the table as a serious response by the standards of team apologetics. If your own community (beyond the scope of that thread) doesn't recognize the significance of the argument, then that should be a problem for you.
Isn't it interesting that "Chapstick" didn't engage after he got owned? The reason, of course, is if one seriously attempts to compare torpedoes to compasses, they will engage in what we call a "self-own."
No doubt that's a major part of the reason why don't get how/why the Mopologists were "owned" this time around. The *do* think it's a *huge* problem if the Book of Mormon "is not ancient." The whole entire Church is a fraud if it's not ancient, in fact. Not only that, they think it must have taken place in Latin America, and have been in a protracted, decade+ war with the Heartlanders over this issue.
Do you think it's a problem for the church is the Book of Mormon isn't ancient? I don't see how. The message of the book is the important bit.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The only one making the comparison, repeatedly, is Sledge. We’re discussing language used in the Late War, much of which was incorporated into the Book of Mormon, and Sledge keeps trying to slide it in the direction no one suggested it go. Since Sledge won’t click on a link and read I’ll just post the relevant information here:
Now these wonderful torpedoes were made partly of brass and partly of iron, and were cunningly contrived with curious works, like unto a clock; and as it were a large ball.
And it came to pass that as my father arose in the morning, and went forth to the tent door, to his great astonishment he beheld upon the ground a round ball of curious workmanship; and it was of fine brass. And within the ball were two spindles; and the one pointed the way whither we should go into the wilderness.
The phrase “like unto a clock” is reminiscent of “tight like unto a dish”.

If there’s any comparison the liahona would be more accurately compared to a CLOCK with spindles, curious workmanship, and fine brass parts. But, yeah, hUrR hUrR tOrPeDo.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Sledge
Area Authority

Post by Sledge »

No, good doctor. The OP posted about how “Chapstick” “own[ed] the apologists.” His post was about the torpedos.

But sure, if two books both say “like unto” one is clearly plagiarized.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Sledge
Do you think it's a problem for the church is the Book of Mormon isn't ancient? I don't see how. The message of the book is the important bit.
Moroni being one of the *ancient* inhabitants of the Book of Mormon is fake then. That ought to just about do it for an answer... since, by logical extension that definitely makes Smith an outright liar. All those shenanigans about metal plates, being tutored for four years by a heavenly being, while literally physically meeting with that ancient inhabitant of the Americas in his resurrected form, for hours each time before being "allowed" to take the "plates", running through the forest after getting the plates and clobbering enemies who jumped him on the way home, hiding the plates from various enemies in various ways... translating the book with an ancient instrument the Urim and Thummim, sending Harris to Mitchell with the writings, and him fulfilling Isaiah's chapter 29 prophecy of the unlearned man not being able to read a sealed book, the losing of the first 116 pages, and losing the Urim and Thummim for a time, all just a put on.... sure, that just makes my bosom burn with testimony, doesn't it yours?
Last edited by Philo Sofee on Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Sledge wrote:
Sledge can you post one or two of these comments you feel “owned him so hard he didn’t know what to do with himself?”

Those comments you mentioned sound awesome! Post some please.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014