Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

I saw this over on RfM and found it interesting. Below is a link to a public record about the Bednars' purchase of a vacation home in the nice Crossings at Lake Creek community being built near Heber. The $169K current value probably means just the land, and will be much higher once the home is constructed. I find it interesting that the address given is for Church headquarters (does the Church take care of property taxes, etc.?).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it just seems odd for an apostle to purchase a vacation home in a resort area, particularly one who can't be rich (he was a college professor in Arkansas and president of Ricks/BYU-I before his call as an apostle at a young age). Oh, well ....

http://www.co.wasatch.ut.us/on-line_ser ... 19996.aspx
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: Apostle Bednar buys vacation home near Heber ...

Post by _Bazooka »

The widows mite is being put to good use...
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Here's a question:

How does an Apostle of God justify owning two homes when some people in the world have none?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_ZelphtheGreat
_Emeritus

Post by _ZelphtheGreat »

Clearly a big mistake. Jesus would have bought his vacation home near Kanab.
“If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing." Ensign/2012/12
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Vacationing in Heber is becoming more and more like vacationing in Sandy. :biggrin:
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_beanboots
_Emeritus

Post by _beanboots »

Bazooka wrote:Here's a question:

How does an Apostle of God justify owning two homes when some people in the world have none?

BOOM!

Take that Q12. What lives you royalty must lead.
I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu.

“I believe if I had a house in hell and one in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell.”
-J. Golden Kimball
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:I saw this over on RfM and found it interesting. Below is a link to a public record about the Bednars' purchase of a vacation home in the nice Crossings at Lake Creek community being built near Heber. The $169K current value probably means just the land, and will be much higher once the home is constructed. I find it interesting that the address given is for Church headquarters (does the Church take care of property taxes, etc.?).

I don't know why this bothers me, but it just seems odd for an apostle to purchase a vacation home in a resort area, particularly one who can't be rich (he was a college professor in Arkansas and president of Ricks/BYU-I before his call as an apostle at a young age). Oh, well ....

http://www.co.wasatch.ut.us/on-line_ser ... 19996.aspx

Your tithing dollars at work!!!
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Sounds like the assessor was a kind hearted mood when he made Elder Benar's Property valuation. Wish that guy would come take a look at my place. There should be some consideration for those of us who put in good works at this board and at MD&D.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_wayfarer
_Emeritus

Post by _wayfarer »

Bednar's newly purchased house in heber is not just land, but a full house in Heber, 2500 square feet, finished in 2012 in brand new subdivision, not yet on Google maps. $169K is not palatial, but certainly 2500 feet is a comfortable house for a 61 year old guy (empty nest).

Uchtdorf's house in heber is 3767 square feet, market value $637K, on a golf course. Uchtdorf also has an equivalently valued house in SLC next to a golf course.

I would really love to play golf with Uchtdorf -- he's probably quite good at it.

On the other hand, what is this about Heber? Is this the business continuity site for the LDS leadership?