Water Dog wrote:How do you know you had the proper intent? (See James 4:3) How do you know you didn't get a witness? This is where things turn into a testimony meeting. You cannot offer this as proof of anything. You cannot prove proper intent or spiritual sensitivity any more than someone of faith can prove to you the authenticity of their experience.
Well of course only true Scotsmen are going to get an answer to Moroni's promise.
I have received a witness, many. And it certainly wasn't an easy process. Would you care to take a crack at tearing it (or them) apart and proving to me how it wasn't a witness? I suspect your response would be to simply accuse me of lying or suggest I might be crazy. Many do have spiritual experiences which can easily be perceived as emotional to outsiders, and admittedly the two are often conflated, especially among those who tend to be more emotionally sensitive, but that's not to say they are emotional as we didn't experience what they did. However a rational analysis can reasonably leads to such a conclusion, but not always.
And so we must ask the doubters this: if I claim to have an unverifiable, nebulous subjective experience, and I interpret it the way the LDS Church has indoctrinated me to interpret it---based entirely on ipse dixit from said church---and you don't find this to be compelling evidence that a vast, advanced civilization of Hebrews existed for a thousand continuous years in pre-Columbian America, then what on Earth possibly would be compelling evidence?
As much as I often wish I could rationalize away my experiences, and believe me I have tried hard to do so numerous times, I fail.
Right, right. Here you have a hillbilly con man who defrauded people on magic treasure hunts, purported to use the exact same magic rock that he employed in his magic treasure hunts to translate the record of an ancient American Hebrew civilization for which not a single piece of empirical evidence exists, then he went on to habitually lie for years to his own wife, almost all of his followers, and the general public to cover up his serial adultery, and who kept changing his origin story for the religion he promulgated, and then an overly assertive cult leader convinced hundreds of people to risk their lives and abandon their property by leaving the continuous United States so he could continue to have his harm and enrich himself at the followers' expense, and now today an organization that by its own admission has alleged prophets who can't tell the difference between the will of their deity and the random thoughts in their own heads, and this organization tells you to interpret your subjective experiences in a way that is self-serving to that organization, and there is no way to verify that the way the organization tells you to interpret your unverifiable subjective experiences is accurate.
And the exact same methodology at arriving at this witness tells some people Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, and other people that Warren Jeffs is a prophet.
I agree, Water Dog, that the critics have their work cut out for them coming up with an explanation that is more plausible than your own.
I do believe your treatment of Sorenson is a bit disingenuous though. As previously stated his purpose is not to prove the Book of Mormon true, approaching the subject from this context is fallacious. While arguably not "evidence" AT ALL,
Fixed it for you.
interestingly he draws a substantial, even overwhelming, number of parallels which the critics cannot explain.
Funny you should mention that, because I also have come up with a number of parallels between the Book of Mormon and ancient peoples.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13858
How could Joseph Smith have known?!?
Incidentally, Water Dog, have you noticed that Sorenson finds that none of these compelling parallels are related to the Mayans, whereas Gardner does find parallels between the Nephites and the Mayans?
http://joelsmonastery.blogspot.com/2012 ... -obey.html
As Lamanites, they were divided and continually seeking to to get gain and power over one another. Of the incident of Ammon and Lamoni, Brant Gardner explained that it fit nicely in with Mayan culture.
http://www.fairlds.org/authors/sorenson ... ichael-coe
Nephite culture was not closely congruent with Maya culture.
I mean, when two different earnest apologists for the Book of Mormon cannot even agree on which Mesoamerican parallels are relevant to the Book of Mormon.....I don't see how the critics cannot be other than stunned into silence right there.
There's that burden of proof again. From the context of proving the Book of Mormon an ancient work, yes, you're right. But from the context of faith, the whole stated point of the Plan of Salvation, agency, growth, the veil, etc., this is an embarrassingly shallow argument. If the Book of Mormon were true and authentic, leaving the plates behind would frustrate the whole thing.
I hear you, Water Dog. The utter lack of any verifiable evidence whatsoever is exactly what we would expect to find if the Book of Mormon were true. Which of course leads to the corollary that were we to find any verifiable evidence that the Nephites ever existed, it would destroy the Book of Mormon's truth claims.