John Dehlin to leave the church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

John Dehlin to leave the church?

Post by _Sanctorian »

From RFM board.

It looks like John Dehlin is considering leaving the Church and is thinking about the potential impact to Mormon Stories if he does. He posted this about an hour ago on his Mormon Stories Facebook page

"I would love some advice -- especially from those who are (or are willing to become) financial supporters of Mormon Stories.
Being active and in full fellowship with the church (i.e., temple recommend holding, attending meetings weekly, paying tithing, holding a calling, etc.) is not likely going to work for me (as I've mentioned before -- I'm not comfortable supporting the church financially, and they have sent me the message that they don't want me as a vocal semi-believer).
But leaving the church completely has the potential to negatively impact the reach of Mormon Stories podcast, since possibly some TBMs are willing to listen to Mormon Stories because I remain active (I get this feedback from time to time).
In essence, active church participation isn't working for me, but I don't want to harm the good that Mormon Stories can do.
For those of you who are genuine supporters of Mormon Stories...what should I do? I'd love your perspective here...again...especially from those who are financial supporters (and /or have skin in the game regarding the future of Mormon Stories)"
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_cognitiveharmony
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin to leave the church?

Post by _cognitiveharmony »

It was only a matter time.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Sanctorian wrote:From RFM board.

It looks like John Dehlin is considering leaving the Church and is thinking about the potential impact to Mormon Stories if he does. He posted this about an hour ago on his Mormon Stories Facebook page

"I would love some advice -- especially from those who are (or are willing to become) financial supporters of Mormon Stories.
Being active and in full fellowship with the church (i.e., temple recommend holding, attending meetings weekly, paying tithing, holding a calling, etc.) is not likely going to work for me (as I've mentioned before -- I'm not comfortable supporting the church financially, and they have sent me the message that they don't want me as a vocal semi-believer).
But leaving the church completely has the potential to negatively impact the reach of Mormon Stories podcast, since possibly some TBMs are willing to listen to Mormon Stories because I remain active (I get this feedback from time to time).
In essence, active church participation isn't working for me, but I don't want to harm the good that Mormon Stories can do.
For those of you who are genuine supporters of Mormon Stories...what should I do? I'd love your perspective here...again...especially from those who are financial supporters (and /or have skin in the game regarding the future of Mormon Stories)"

I think the Oaks talk hit him pretty hard, but it's been coming for a while.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:If he leaves Mormon Stories is done, period. It becomes an anti-Mormon rag. Leaving would be r******* and the only purpose is to make a political statement. What for? If people at church are bugging him, then don't attend.

He's living in a fishbowl, but he chose it.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

John's problem is that he enjoys the public attention and sycophants. Why ask advice like this on a public forum?
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

How many times has he decided to leave the church now? 3? 5? 27?

And every time he comes back.

Seriously John, fish or cut bait.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Attention seeker.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Water Dog wrote:If he leaves Mormon Stories is done, period. It becomes an anti-Mormon rag. Leaving would be r******* and the only purpose is to make a political statement. What for? If people at church are bugging him, then don't attend.

This prediction is about as good as your other one about the church not even showing up to court. More accurately it would see less people who are active members. Maybe more who are not. He does seem to like the attention. If he leaves again I wonder how long before he wants back in.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Yahoo Bot wrote:John's problem is that he enjoys the public attention and sycophants. Why ask advice like this on a public forum?

All of us posting on this board and anyone with a blog or website is seeking some sort of attention (even Boris Karloff). I don't see that as a negative.

I'm happy if Dehlin has finally made a choice and is moving the direction that he should have stayed with some time ago. I've always found Mormon Stories interesting and entertaining. I hope things work out for him.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Aristotle Smith wrote:How many times has he decided to leave the church now? 3? 5? 27?

And every time he comes back.

Seriously John, fish or cut bait.

Everyone has their own journey even if it is ambivalent. What motivates John I do not know though I do know he is a decent human being.

I have taken a very very long time to arrive where I am at and I have gone very very slow.