Q12 and Church Discipline

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Q12 and Church Discipline

Post by _Kishkumen »

In that old Dehlin thread, I ran across one of those revealing moments in which Lou Midgley shares a truth we had long suspected:

Lou Midgley wrote:I have not listened to [John Dehlin's] most recent interview. I have only listened to three of his podcasts. One of these is the one the contents of which I am told he has had to explain to his Stake President. This is the interview by the Larsons who are a husband and wife team that operate, if I remember correctly, something called “Mormon Expressions.” I also know that the brethren were very much aware of this podcast. I assume that this explains why his Stake President had a transcript of that podcast. Given the internet, there is simply no way to hide things, and especially if one wants and audience and wants to make a living opining in public.

So, Lou "knows" that the Brethren "were aware" of a Mormon Expressions podcast in which John Dehlin was interviewed. And, Lou surmises that this is how it came to the attention of John Dehlin's stake president. In other words, based on past experience, Lou knows that the Brethren send materials to stake presidents for the purpose of initiating disciplinary action. Now, I know that we already know this from unofficial sources, but here we have it directly from one of the LDS Church's senior apologists.

I just appreciate having this bit of factual confirmation.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: Q12 and Church Discipline

Post by _lostindc »

very solid find, no doubt the brethren are highly involved in these more public disciplines, glad an apologist could shed more light on this reality.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Thanks. I'll keep this nugget the next time i get accused of being paranoid and buying into the conspiracy theory that my church discipline was merely a family matter and had nothing to do with my connection to MS and John Dehlin, and coming from the top, even though two SPs told me that is exactly what did happen.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

cwald wrote:Thanks. I'll keep this nugget the next time i get accused of being paranoid and buying into the conspiracy theory that my church discipline was merely a family matter and had nothing to do with my connection to MS and John Dehlin, and coming from the top, even though two SPs told me that is exactly what did happen.

cwald,

So as not to annoy you by asking you to rehearse this again, can you link me to your story, if you posted it here or elsewhere? Thanks.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Kishkumen, this came up on a search. And I talked about it on this recent thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18265&hilit=cwald+stayLDS

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37059&start=21
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:In that old Dehlin thread, I ran across one of those revealing moments in which Lou Midgley shares a truth we had long suspected:

Lou Midgley wrote:I have not listened to [John Dehlin's] most recent interview. I have only listened to three of his podcasts. One of these is the one the contents of which I am told he has had to explain to his Stake President. This is the interview by the Larsons who are a husband and wife team that operate, if I remember correctly, something called “Mormon Expressions.” I also know that the brethren were very much aware of this podcast. I assume that this explains why his Stake President had a transcript of that podcast. Given the internet, there is simply no way to hide things, and especially if one wants and audience and wants to make a living opining in public.

So, Lou "knows" that the Brethren "were aware" of a Mormon Expressions podcast in which John Dehlin was interviewed. And, Lou surmises that this is how it came to the attention of John Dehlin's stake president. In other words, based on past experience, Lou knows that the Brethren send materials to stake presidents for the purpose of initiating disciplinary action. Now, I know that we already know this from unofficial sources, but here we have it directly from one of the LDS Church's senior apologists.

I just appreciate having this bit of factual confirmation.

Loose lips ...
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

cwald wrote:Kishkumen, this came up on a search. And I talked about it on this recent thread.

Damn, cwald. That is completely messed up. If I were you, I would be extremely pissed off.

What a bunch of amateurs, really. They accused you of being gay?

That says it all, doesn't it? Bunch of asshole homophobes.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Kishkumen wrote:
cwald wrote:Kishkumen, this came up on a search. And I talked about it on this recent thread.

Damn, cwald. That is completely messed up. If I were you, I would be extremely pissed off.

What a bunch of amateurs, really. They accused you of being gay?

That says it all, doesn't it? Bunch of asshole homophobes.

Yeah. It's telling that these particular Mormons could not understand how someone who did not support Prop 8 or the church's policy on GLBT, could possible be straight.

_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

cwald wrote:Yeah. It's telling that these particular Mormons could not understand how someone who did not support Prop 8 or the church's policy on GLBT, could possible be straight.

Of course!