The death of the Mormon Apologist - RIP 1832-2015

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Re: The death of the Mormon Apologist - RIP 1832-2015

Post by _malkie »

Symmachus wrote:I almost agree with the sentiments of the OP. Apologetics is nearly dead. And what they are doing at MDDB and Mormon Interpreter is not really apologetics.

Apologetics is a response (X) to a stimuli (Y); response means the X and Y are talking. Private apologetics is as contradictory a term as private criticism. When apologists stop talking to / arguing with critics and critics to/with apologists, they are no longer apologists and critics.

Hmmmm, not quite, I think.

I do agree that, if apologetics is a response to criticism, then it cannot properly exist with nothing to respond to.

But criticism can exist quite easily without apologetics, no?
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

malkie wrote:
I do agree that, if apologetics is a response to criticism, then it cannot properly exist with nothing to respond to.

It depends what it is criticism of. I was talking about criticism of apologetics, in which case it seems impossible to me for there to be a critique of apologetics without there being apologetics around. I think this is basically the motivating idea behind the epitaph of the OP: apologists don't come around here anymore, which makes the task of critiquing apologists kind of unsatisfying.

That is also why so many of the posts here entail links to Peterson's blog, Hamblin's, and other stuff; posts that do that are trying to engage with apologetics, but since apologists won't come here, the posters have to link to what's being said. These posters are interested in argument.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Mayan Elephant wrote:the very very best we have seen with this is dehlin and mormonstories. he does not allow anything, ANYTHING, that remotely resembles dissent or disagreement in his forums or groups. when he is done being "angry," it is time for the group to be done being angry. his forum is a reflection of the brand and the product. dehlin calls it his "living room," and suggests the forums are a reflection of him and his home.

I can see Dehlin as marketing himself, although I guess it depends on which of his Facebook groups you're referring to; I was just his "Friend" until I left Facebook a little over a year ago, and most of his posts were about movies he liked or TED, pictures of kids, etc. I was never part of the "Wards" (which I only heard about recently on one of his podcasts), but his public Facebook page is undoubtedly a marketing tool--but I think that's implied already when it subtitles John Dehlin as as "Public Figure." Is that such a bad thing?

What about other Facebook groups, though? I suppose you could say that the Mormon Hub (is that still there?) was marketing a certain brand of hipster Mormonism to the extent that most of the members of that group were hipster Mormons and those who weren't didn't last long. But that would water down the meaning of the word "marketing." Same with the old MormonExpression VIP Lounge. Indeed, in that case I would say that it was because of a very determined group bent on marketing their particular ideas to the exclusion of others that led to its demise. I never got the sense that the purpose of the group existed just to market MormonExpression; it wouldn't make much sense since everyone there was already a devoted listener anyway. We just liked to bitch about Mormonism without the moderation of the the Hub and the (long since non-existent) Mormon Stories Podcast group that was its predecessor. There was one apologists group that I was in briefly, but they censored anything that had the whiff of a critical air.

Apologetics that doesn't engage critique, though, I think is not apologetics so much as a motivational regime (like a sales training seminar?).

Mayan Elephant wrote:the apologists have tried, desperately, to replicate this with sic et non, and multiple board efforts. their biggest issue is that their product sucks, they are trying to sell a shamwow that is not absorbent. but the other issue is that they goddamn suck at their marketing and salesmanship. they suck at managing a conversation and they suck at hosting a community.

I think they are not selling a product so much as promoting a lifestyle. In this, some of the critiques that they make about liberal Mormons are just as true regarding themselves. There is a certain outlook you must adopt (if you don't have it already) to be an apologist: conservative in politics and aesthetics, and deeply concerned with "serious" intellectual issues. You must quote Shakespeare and other lights in the cannon because, hey, Nibley did that all over the place. You must play up your interest in and knowledge of antiquity (because history is a key to all epistemology; without history, Mormonism can't be "true"). And of course you should probably be male and white. In sum, I think what internet apologetics is is a kind of club, not an intellectual activity. To the extent that it involves any activity at all, that activity is not geared towards the traditional role of apologetics in Christianity and other religions--namely, defending the tenets of the faith by means of the dominant intellectual modes of the day--but rather the activity is geared towards just being part of the community of apologists. From what I have seen of their Youtube presentations, FAIR conferences look less like exercises in doing apologetics and more like demonstrations of just being apologists: a National Geographic film-essay of apologists in their natural state.

Mayan Elephant wrote:all one really needs to compare is this - sic et non/Interpreter v. the rest (Mormon Stories, Bloggernacle, Times and Seasons, By Common Consent, etc.) all those other names and brands are going to attract people's attention before anything called sic et non. it is the equivalent of naming your congregation the Highland 46th Ward and expecting people to show up because they are told to show up, or naming it the Highland Community and Family Congregation and actually trying to get families in your congregation. dan thinks like a Mormon, while other people are behaving like educated adults marketing to Mormons. that is what is killing the apologist business.

I don't know. Mormons are overwhelmingly patriarchal, conservative, white, and middle-to-upper-middle class, and if either are appealing to that demographic at all, it will more likely be the apologetics people than the liberals who run and participate in blogs like Times and Seasons etc.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Nightlion wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:Tobin's not an apologist. He knows the church and their leaders are frauds, the Book of Mormon is fiction, etc. and has said it many times. He's more like Nightlion. He claims to have the real truth that both the church and it's critics are missing.
Yeah, uhuh, Tobin abounds in his one and only idea of Alien gods. I can see the resemblance. Sure. And we all know how many scriptures back up his notion. Special are we.
Hilarious.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The Mormon apologist is not dead, nor doth he sleep.

What is dead, is the sense of confrontation and rivalry that stoked the fires of this board.

What has changed is the relationship of BYU with the apologetic community.

Also, as has been noted earlier on this thread, the Mormon apologist now has his venues for promulgating his message. He publishes at Meridian, Deseret News, blogs, the Interpreter, and Facebook.

The closest thing to old-style exchanges between apologists and critics that I have seen has taken place on Facebook.

Personally, I don't mind the current state of affairs. Sure, it makes this place less lively and interesting, but I am pleased with the changes at Maxwell as having been a real gain for Brigham Young University.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Symmachus wrote:
malkie wrote:

It depends what it is criticism of. I was talking about criticism of apologetics, in which case it seems impossible to me for there to be a critique of apologetics without there being apologetics around. I think this is basically the motivating idea behind the epitaph of the OP: apologists don't come around here anymore, which makes the task of critiquing apologists kind of unsatisfying.

That is also why so many of the posts here entail links to Peterson's blog, Hamblin's, and other stuff; posts that do that are trying to engage with apologetics, but since apologists won't come here, the posters have to link to what's being said. These posters are interested in argument.

Ahh, sorry, I guess I didn't read closely enough. Thanks, S.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

sock puppet wrote:
KevinSim wrote:I welcome "the sanitizing sunlight of the Information Age." There's very little about what that sunlight has revealed that I have ever bothered to dispute; instead I simply disagree that that kind of stuff has a significant effect on whether or not people should believe in God as described by the LDS Church.

Kevin,

I think your defending tools are not classical apologetic ones. You do not dress your arguments up in publications that look like they are serious scholarly, academic journals to give an air of having passed real peer-review scrutiny.

If you detach your god from the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham, then what is left of god "as described by the LDS Church" that is not a confused being and otherwise run of the mill Christian dogma?

I don't detach my "god from the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham"; I've read both books several times, and fully believe both books give great descriptions of the nature of God.

sock puppet wrote:The Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham are laughable in light of what they and the LDS Church proclaim them to be.

Laugh at those two books all you want; I see no reason why such laughter should keep me from believing they're divinely inspired.

sock puppet wrote:The god "as described by the LDS Church" as evidenced, say, by the D&C seems to be very, very confused entity.

Perhaps you're familiar with parts of the Do&Co that I'm not, but in my opinion parts of the Do&Co like Section 93 teach of a radically different type of deity than traditional Christianity does. Why do you call that deity a "very, very confused entity"?
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Kishkumen wrote:The Mormon apologist is not dead, nor doth he sleep.

What is dead, is the sense of confrontation and rivalry that stoked the fires of this board.

What has changed is the relationship of BYU with the apologetic community.

Also, as has been noted earlier on this thread, the Mormon apologist now has his venues for promulgating his message. He publishes at Meridian, Deseret News, blogs, the Interpreter, and Facebook.

The closest thing to old-style exchanges between apologists and critics that I have seen has taken place on Facebook.

Personally, I don't mind the current state of affairs. Sure, it makes this place less lively and interesting, but I am pleased with the changes at Maxwell as having been a real gain for Brigham Young University.

Hi Kish,

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Symmachus' point regarding the influence of media choice (i.e. - authoring books compared with "Meridian, Deseret News, blogs, the Interpreter, and Facebook") on whether or not we actually see true apologetic defense of the faith in any concerted and substantial way with some exceptions?
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

cwald wrote:PS.... sorry kevinSim, that you are even being discussed in the same post as Tobin. ... but that is where this thread has gone. ...

Not to worry, Cwald; no offense was taken; I'm hard to offend.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

DarkHelmet wrote:Tobin's not an apologist. He knows the church and their leaders are frauds, the Book of Mormon is fiction, etc. and has said it many times. He's more like Nightlion. He claims to have the real truth that both the church and it's critics are missing.

Whereas I don't know "the church and their leaders are frauds," and I don't know that the "Book of Mormon is fiction." Just thought I'd make that distinction for everybody to see.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.