Unworthy Kids? Leave Your Money to LDS Philanthropies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Unworthy Kids? Leave Your Money to LDS Philanthropies

Post by _I have a question »

huckelberry wrote:i viewed the presentation yesterday and was repelled. The production value was well crafted. It was well designed to manipulate guilt towards extra giving to the church. It overreached.

In the wards I grew up in there were no families even close to the economic means implied in the video. It was not aimed at us.

Or was it? after all we are supposed to get rich and it is our failing if our economics are ordinary. We better increase our giving to make up the difference.

I was unaware that it was common for Mormon families to set up charitable foundations deciding to give funds directly without going through the church. I guess it is not against the rules. Anybody in your ward self finance a trip to central america to help build houses or wood stoves?

Perhaps not, feel guilty?

I wondered if it was realistic for the family to get out and push a stalled car 15 miles into town? Feel guilty yet? It might have been 25 miles there was no town about when they started. Ok it was just an image.

don't have time for all that? Give to the program.

Guilt, thy name is Heartsell.....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

It was just a disgusting money grab. That's it. I love living here in SLC now, but I have to tell you... You really do get a sense of how much the economy is dependent on the Mormon church bringing in money. That's the bottom line for the Church. You have to support all these families, and well-wishing isn't going to do it.

Dollars. They need them, and they want them. And if some idiot is willing to give the Church their lifetime's savings rather than imparting it to the Church, well, great!

Televangelism is alive and well in the valley.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:I am absolutely appalled by this business. We can roll our eyes at the overbearing asshole dad, quite another for the church to actually promote such an insidious message. The video is so far beyond the pale that it comes across as being satirical. I didn't believe it was real at first. I'm glad to see that the video was pulled, but that strikes me more as a practical marketing decision than an acknowledgement that the message itself was wrong to begin with.

This may be a shelf breaking moment for me. This combined with Uchtdorf consecrating the grounds for a Marriott hotel has me in complete disgust. It's the sort of privilege one would expect for a large donor to a political party. In the early church polygamy was the vehicle for kingdom building. Today they do the same thing through business relationships. It's pretty obvious that a collusion exists between the church and an elite class of members/leadership, with church-owned resources being wielded to benefit said members.

Very insightful, WD. Thanks for sharing that. During my time in Philadelphia, I attended a ward split between a majority of city locals and students of Wharton. The latter were such arrogant, condescending elitists for the most part (there were a couple of exceptions) that it was nauseating. My wife and I chose to hang out with the good Philadelphia locals so as not to lose our minds. The Wharton kids clearly saw themselves as saviors on Mt. MBA.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Very disturbing!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

DrW wrote:On the way home from our family reunion this summer my wife and I were discussing how we were going to set up our estate so it would be fair to everyone in the family. We decided we should probably skip over our own children entirely and distribute the estate among our grandchildren on an equal share basis.

you're a good old testament christian, DrW...

"A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children’s children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just."
Proverbs 13:22 (KJV)