John Dehlin: A Spy Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin: A Spy Story

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:Re: facial hair, what an idiotic thing for Mormons to focus on.

My Irish Catholic spouse has a moustache. Given that it's RED I think I will visit a few wards around here with him in tow, just for the fun of watching the terror and panic in the Mormons' eyes, as they shield their children from, gasp, one of the devil's own!!

(not my husband, but close :cool: :cool: :cool: )

Oh don't get me started, Lemmie. Woops! Too late.

I think that this is the best case for facial hair on the planet...

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:

My Irish Catholic spouse has a moustache. Given that it's RED I think I will visit a few wards around here with him in tow, just for the fun of watching the terror and panic in the Mormons' eyes, as they shield their children from, gasp, one of the devil's own!!

Oh don't get me started, Lemmie. Woops! Too late. Sent

Yep, there is something special about hairy, old guys. :wink:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Oh don't get me started, Lemmie. Woops! Too late.

I'll see your Sean Connery and raise you a Sam Elliott.

Okay, now I really, really, really really will get back to the OP.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maksutov wrote:

I'll see your Sean Connery and raise you a Sam Elliott.

Okay, now I really, really, really really will get back to the OP.

Sam Elliott? :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Are you insane??? Trust me, there is NO contest!

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sam Elliott? :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Are you insane??? Trust me, there is NO contest!

Come on, you know kilts aren't fair. That's definitely below the belt. :lol: :lol: So bring on the pecs:

_cacheman
_Emeritus

Post by _cacheman »

Regarding the culture of tattling.... On my mission, we split up companionships and partnered with other missionaries once to do some downtown tracting. The guy I got partnered up with had just started his mission the month earlier. We ended up going to see the Batman movie instead. Of course, when we all met up later, he immediately confessed which landed me in the hotseat with the MP. It's kind of funny to think back at how serious that was at the time, but what's even funnier is that 25 years later, we both happened to move the same random city halfway across the country where my daughter and his son hooked up and have been dating for the last year. It's a small world!

-cacheman
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

There's an interesting story just out on Mormons and the FBI. Not exactly spying...supposedly.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/White House ... i-recruits

Some surprising (to me) stories:

But it wasn't until the 1970s that outsiders started paying close attention and turning up connections between prominent Mormons and the CIA, Watergate conspiracy, and other government activities. One 1975 report on the CIA, for instance, included the tidbit that one Mormon-owned PR firm made some “overseas offices available...as cover for Agency employees operating abroad.” And in the 1980s a BYU professor told the authors of The Mormon Corporate Empire, a 1985 social science study on the church and its power, that “we’ve never had any trouble placing anyone who has applied to the CIA."
"Every year, they take almost anybody who applies," he said.
It was around this time, too, that two cases put the Mormon members of the FBI dramatically into the public eye. In 1984, FBI agent Richard W. Miller was arrested; he later became the first FBI agent ever to be indicted for and eventually found guilty of spying for the Soviet Union. (Miller wasn’t the first Mormon to be in this position, though: earlier in 1984, a Mormon who had worked in Army intelligence was arrested for passing secrets to the Soviets.) Miller had been recruited at BYU in the 1960s, the New York Times reported. At the time, the FBI had been particularly interested in candidates with strong Spanish skills, and Miller had minored in the language. By the 1980s, though, he was under close supervision at work and had started dabbling in petty theft, when a Soviet woman approached him.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

My dad is a career CIA man. A number of people in our stake worked for the CIA and FBI. We even had a guy who funneled arms for Charlie Wilson.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:My dad is a career CIA man. A number of people in our stake worked for the CIA and FBI. We even had a guy who funneled arms for Charlie Wilson.

How coincidental is it that the NSA site is in the middle of Mormon Country? Not sure at what point it becomes paranoia. Yikes.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Lemmie wrote:
kish wrote:going home with his garments in a box;

I am unfamiliar with this phrase, is it a euphemism?

Being ex-Mormon I wouldn't put it past an MP to make a literal rule, but I didn't go on a mission so maybe I just haven't heard the phrase.

For some reason, this has piqued my curiosity, so I'll try again, does anyone have any insight into this phrase,
"going home with his garments in a box"?