Regrets over resigning?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Regrets over resigning?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tobin wrote:If you wish to ignore me Jesse, that is perfectly fine. After all, I really don't think you have anything substantial to say. I think where you cross the line is when you encourage others to ignore me. That smacks of pettiness and seems like you are trying to take revenge for the many times I've made you look like a fool.
You know what? Let me know when someone tells you to burn in hell and calls you evil scum of the earth, then we'll talk.

Otherwise suck it up buttercup.

p.s. I had to take you off ignore to read the above post in it's original form.

:lol:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iol0B-clFFM - I was 23 then, when there was a Build Me Up Buttercup ...

Plus some off music...
Another from then:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts -

And one more:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww -
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Jersey Girl wrote:...
Something wrong with your reading skills too?
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

And Tobin successfully derails yet another thread....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote:And Tobin successfully derails yet another thread....

Perhaps not.

Personally, and not being LDS myself, part of me thinks the resignations and the new policies that eliminate gay parents and their children, are ultimately a positive thing. They will spare folks the misery that I've seen so many ex-Mo's report on all these years after basically life long membership in the church.

I think a period of grieving would be normal to this experience.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tobin wrote:It isn't a crappy argument. In your response before this one, you claimed there was no justification in scripture for waiting. Yet obviously Jesus did. So I'd submit that the idea that one must be baptized at 8 years old is nonsense. And isn't it also LDS 101 that the top LDS leaders are prophets, seers, and revelators? If they are what they claim, it seems like they are in a better position to decide what is revealed policy and what isn't. Maybe they felt this is what God wanted them to do. That is all the justification they need under LDS 101.

It is a crappy argument. LDS 101: modern revelation trumps the Bible. Prophets, seers, and revelators, as I showed earlier in this thread, can't reset doctrine through policy. Doctrine comes through scripture, declarations, and proclamations. They messed this one up. You can argue this all day long, but you are simply wrong, Tobin. You don't understand the finer point of Mormonism very well.

Tobin wrote:The LDS Church pretends to be God's one and only true church. Its leaders pretend they are doing what God wants them to on a constant basis. I think it should be obvious to anyone that they can do whatever the hell they want and say God put them up to it.

Sure, they can say that, and I can say they are wrong. Hot damn, I love the Internet.

Kishkumen wrote:As I've pointed out repeatedly, the LDS Church is not a gay-friendly organization and there is a certain logic from their point-of-view in this policy.

Bad logic. It is deplorable enough that they treat gay people so poorly. Now they take it out on innocent kids. That's where they screwed up.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Kishkumen wrote:It is a crappy argument. LDS 101: modern revelation trumps the Bible. Prophets, seers, and revelators, as I showed earlier in this thread, can't reset doctrine through policy. Doctrine comes through scripture, declarations, and proclamations. They messed this one up. You can argue this all day long, but you are simply wrong, Tobin. You don't understand the finer point of Mormonism very well.
So in essence, your argument is that you are right and the LDS leaders are wrong. I think LDS leaders would view that as apostasy since they are supposedly God's chosen prophets.

As you know Kishkumen, I really don't have much sympathy for LDS leaders. Since the LDS Church is a man-made organization and always has been, I'm not really surprised to find them instituting the policy they did. The reason I can't agree with you about this being the start of the Great Apostasy is because I don't believe the LDS Church had a lock on the truth in the first place (or was ever God's one and only true church). As Shades and I have pointed out, if you and others wish to quit a man-made organization, that is fine. However, it is silly to pretend they are in apostasy since that would mean they were something they never were.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Tobin wrote:As you know Kishkumen, I really don't have much sympathy for LDS leaders. Since the LDS Church is a man-made organization and always has been, I'm not really surprised to find them instituting the policy they did. The reason I can't agree with you about this being the start of the Great Apostasy is because I don't believe the LDS Church had a lock on the truth in the first place (or was ever God's one and only true church). As Shades and I have pointed out, if you and others wish to quit a man-made organization, that is fine.
So why are you continuing to make a fool of yourself by arguing the point? Isn't this exactly what a troll does?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Gunnar wrote:So why are you continuing to make a fool of yourself by arguing the point? Isn't this exactly what a troll does?
I'm not the one claiming the LDS Church is in apostasy because of this policy announcement. It would help immensely if you tried to follow the conversation.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Kishkumen wrote: I have offered my judgment that a line was crossed in the institution of this new policy, and that line, for me, was the blatant contradiction of the clear teachings of Christ.

I agree a clear and obvious line has been crossed with the new policy.

As I put it to my home teacher the other day, up to this point, I was willing to hold open the possibility that the top 15 might be prophets if at some time they should choose to attempt to exercise the prophetic gift, and if God sustained them in doing so.

Up to this point, the jury has been out on this issue as far as I am concerned.

But with the new policy, the top 15 have proven beyond question that they are not prophets, seers and revelators.

It is a very clear and obvious line.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)