Scientific Evidence for Smith's Blarney

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Scientific Evidence for Smith's Blarney

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have long waited for Ugo Perego's research to uncover something that would help us better understand Joseph Smith. Now, I think that day has arrived:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-roots-of-mormon-founder-joseph-smith-discovered-100251279-237361951.html

Mormon prophet Joseph Smith Jr.,was definitely descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, an Irish chieftain of the fifth century, Ugo Perego, a senior DNA researcher at Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation has discovered.

See all of the Nibley-esque connections!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_of_the_Nine_Hostages

Seeing Niall's popularity among the nobles, Mongfind demands that Eochaid name a successor, hoping it will be one of her sons. Eochaid gives the task to a druid, Sithchenn, who devises a contest between the brothers, shutting them in a burning forge, telling them to save what they can, and judging them based on which objects they choose to save. Niall, who emerges carrying an anvil, is deemed greater than Brión, with a sledgehammer, Fiachrae with bellows and a pail of beer, Ailill with a chest of weapons, and Fergus with a bundle of wood. Mongfind refuses to accept the decision.

Get it? Anvil? Smith?

Sithchenn takes the brothers to the smith, who makes them weapons, and sends them out hunting. Each brother in turn goes looking for water, and finds a well guarded by a hideous hag who demands a kiss in return for water. Fergus and Ailill refuse and return empty-handed. Fiachrae gives her a quick peck, but not enough to satisfy her. Only Niall kisses her properly, and she is revealed as a beautiful maiden, the Sovereignty of Ireland.

There's a smith! And look, Niall's kiss reveals the supposed hag to be a beautiful maiden. Polygamy? Eh? Possibility? Kissing the maiden is tied to sovereignty! Dynastic polygamy? Eh?

Or maybe descent from Niall is not that special:

Early in 2006, geneticists at Trinity College, Dublin suggested that Niall may have been the most fecund male in Irish history. Of their Irish sample, the geneticists found that 21 percent of men from north-western Ireland, 8 percent from all of Ireland, a substantial percentage of men from western and central Scotland, and about 2 percent of men from New York bore the same Y-chromosome haplotype. The geneticists estimated that about 2–3 million men bear this marker, and concluded that these men are patrilineal descendants of Niall. According to Finding Your Roots, Niall of the Nine Hostages' descendents include Bill O'Reilly, Bill Maher, and Henry Louis Gates.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Scientific Evidence for Smith's Blarney

Post by _Kishkumen »

Think of all of the wonderful possibilities.

Was Moroni a leprechaun?

Did this leprechaun move the Blarney Stone and his pot of gold to upstate New York?

Did this leprechaun inspire polygamy?

Oh, now, I'm just teasing here. But I do love mythology mashups and this kind of thing is in the fine tradition of Nibley and Skousen.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Sometimes I look at individuals and ask. How the hell does one get a job like that?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

RockSlider wrote:Sometimes I look at individuals and ask. How the hell does one get a job like that?

I guess I am not there with you. Would I want Ugo Perego's job? Not particularly. For one thing, I would not want my public profile, even within the LDS community, so tied to Joseph Smith's DNA or Nephite/Lamanite DNA. It seems to me that, while these are interesting questions, particularly the former, they are tied up so much in people's dearly held beliefs, about which they can become very passionate. So, would I want to be the person who is looked to to not disappoint you regarding Joseph Smith's seed or the existence of Book of Mormon peoples? No, not really. That sounds like a major pain in the caboose.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

When you follow the links....

But one story not told to most Irish elementary schoolchildren was Niall’s prolificacy.

When it came to the bedroom, it seems that Niall of the Nine Hostages was even more fearless and energetic than he was on the battlefield.

It must run in the genes.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

"So why is Joseph Smith more Irish?" Perego said. "We have more STR data available for Joseph Smith. We have more STR data available for Niall of the Nine Hostages. And the number of STR values matching has also increased. . . . A stronger connection. A more sure family relation."

Where did they get the STR data for Niall of the Nine Hostages, Temple Bar?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

This would indicate that members of the tribe of Ephraim, yea, even the son of Joseph of old were led to the Emerald Isle.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have a question wrote:When you follow the links....

But one story not told to most Irish elementary schoolchildren was Niall’s prolificacy.

When it came to the bedroom, it seems that Niall of the Nine Hostages was even more fearless and energetic than he was on the battlefield.

It must run in the genes.

We're seeing the bullseyes line up to confirm the truth!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

deacon blues wrote:This would indicate that members of the tribe of Ephraim, yea, even the son of Joseph of old were led to the Emerald Isle.

It would appear so. It is, after all, the Irish who saved civilization. The blood of Ephraim came through.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Kishkumen wrote:I guess I am not there with you. Would I want Ugo Perego's job? Not particularly. For one thing, I would not want my public profile, even within the LDS community, so tied to Joseph Smith's DNA or Nephite/Lamanite DNA. It seems to me that, while these are interesting questions, particularly the former, they are tied up so much in people's dearly held beliefs, about which they can become very passionate. So, would I want to be the person who is looked to to not disappoint you regarding Joseph Smith's seed or the existence of Book of Mormon peoples? No, not really. That sounds like a major pain in the caboose.

Of course the rumors years back was that the Church set him up in a nice situation in Italy to "continue the good works"

Integrity does not pay the bills.