Bart Ehrman vs Robert Price

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Bart Ehrman vs Robert Price

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Bart Ehrman and Robert Price will be debating on Friday, October 21, 2016. It is going to be a real debate, not a circus like the presidential debate. It will be the best debate of 2016.

Did Jesus exist?
http://www.mythicistmilwaukee.com/mythi ... ference-2/
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Bart Ehrman vs Robert Price

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Thanks for the heads up. Hope Price is feeling well for it. Ehrman is too spooked to debate Carrier, so debating Price is a good thing. Good for the rest of us.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Fascinating. Why can't they come to Utah?
_Corsair
_Emeritus

Post by _Corsair »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Bart Ehrman and Robert Price will be debating on Friday, October 21, 2016. It is going to be a real debate, not a circus like the presidential debate. It will be the best debate of 2016.

Did Jesus exist?
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mythinform ... 9701931006

Thanks for finding this. I have long held bothe Price and Ehrman in high esteem. Getting them to debate their views on the existence of Jesus will be fascinating. If I were anywhere near Milwaukee I would attend. I can only hope that the video or audio gets distributed afterwards.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Hopefully Price won't go too far over Ehrman's head. Or the rest of us as far as that goes.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Corsair
_Emeritus

Post by _Corsair »

Philo Sofee wrote:Hopefully Price won't go too far over Ehrman's head. Or the rest of us as far as that goes.

I'm inclined to think that Ehrman has a stronger position, but I could be persuaded by either. I am thoroughly interested in the content of the debate and some hopefully compelling arguments from both sides.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Corsair wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Hopefully Price won't go too far over Ehrman's head. Or the rest of us as far as that goes.

I'm inclined to think that Ehrman has a stronger position, but I could be persuaded by either. I am thoroughly interested in the content of the debate and some hopefully compelling arguments from both sides.

Im looking forward to it also.
Dr CamNC4Me
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I love Bob's writings on Early Christianity, but he does hold a lot of controversial views. His dating of Paul to the second century CE is definitely a marginal view. I think I heard one time that he thinks Marcion might be Paul? In other words, Marcion wrote the Pauline epistles?

In any case, one will hear a lot of very intriguing but definitely not mainstream positions from Bob. Still, I enjoy reading all of his Early Christianity stuff. And his Mormon stuff, what little there is anyway.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:I love Bob's writings on Early Christianity, but he does hold a lot of controversial views. His dating of Paul to the second century CE is definitely a marginal view. I think I heard one time that he thinks Marcion might be Paul? In other words, Marcion wrote the Pauline epistles?

In any case, one will hear a lot of very intriguing but definitely not mainstream positions from Bob. Still, I enjoy reading all of his Early Christianity stuff. And his Mormon stuff, what little there is anyway.

Thank God! Mainstream Positions have never had it totally accurate anyway. Orthodoxy never got it right did it? LOL!
Dr CamNC4Me
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Oh boy, I don't want to miss this one.

I hadn't heard the Paul/Marcion angle but it's intriguing. I don't recall Paul saying anything blatantly Marcionite, at least as far as Jesus coming to redeem us from the wrath of frowny-face Yahweh.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain