The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (not political)

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Oh right, like I could do that!

:lol:

Well, I sure couldn't, certainly not that many times!

Jersey Girl wrote:I am going to try a crunchless ab workout this week.

Remember that compound movements like that lift are also excellent for your core and abdominals. : )
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Oh right, like I could do that!

:lol:

Well, I sure couldn't, certainly not that many times!

Jersey Girl wrote:I am going to try a crunchless ab workout this week.

Remember that compound movements like that lift are also excellent for your core and abdominals. : )

I only wish I could do those!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:The score so far...
I'd already lost 5 pounds. I press on!

:biggrin:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(12 more to go!)
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I have the same issue Jersey Girl! There are days when my 35 lb dumbbells feel like 50 and I sooooooo don't want to curl them. I always do something! If it helps I tell myself every one I do, I OWN! Its mine, for me, and I get to enjoy it for the strength for the rest of my life. Its my friend. Now lookit here you wonderful inspiring woman, when I first started curling weight in May, I couldn't curl 15 lb dumbbells even 20 times. I was a woosie! Today I curled my 35 dumbbells 500 times. That's right.... 500! I started with 14 inch guns, I now will have 16 inch guns by Christmas. Because I have kept steady at it. It's the same thing with my bench pressing. I started (finally!) In October and couldn't press 80 pounds. Major punk. But I now am pressing 180 as my max, and working out with 120!
Persistent consistency is the key. Do something and on the days you can do more, do so. When you do less don't beat yerself up over it. I tell myself this all the time.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:I have the same issue Jersey Girl! There are days when my 35 lb dumbbells feel like 50 and I sooooooo don't want to curl them. I always do something! If it helps I tell myself every one I do, I OWN! Its mine, for me, and I get to enjoy it for the strength for the rest of my life. Its my friend. Now lookit here you wonderful inspiring woman, when I first started curling weight in May, I couldn't curl 15 lb dumbbells even 20 times. I was a woosie! Today I curled my 35 dumbbells 500 times. That's right.... 500! I started with 14 inch guns, I now will have 16 inch guns by Christmas. Because I have kept steady at it. It's the same thing with my bench pressing. I started (finally!) In October and couldn't press 80 pounds. Major punk. But I now am pressing 180 as my max, and working out with 120!
Persistent consistency is the key. Do something and on the days you can do more, do so. When you do less don't beat yerself up over it. I tell myself this all the time.

Well, thanks for the inspiration yourself, Philo Sofee!

I'm no stranger to starting where you are at. This makes the second time in my life I've had to start back from close to zero, but the point is starting isn't it?

Don't know if you've been following my saga, but recently had some test results that were "iffy" and then better tests done for the same issues that were um...wait for it...drumroll...EXCELLENT. :mrgreen:

Ask me about the nuclear stress test on the treadmill that I flippin' ACED!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, I did!

Anyway, one of the docs I saw recently said lose 20 pounds so I've got 8 down and 12 to go I suppose. I say "suppose" because I know that if I lose all of that I'll look like a bobble head on a stick, but that's just me so what do I know?

So...due to circumstances beyond my control (there's a story there) I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks. Will return this week.

What I do is treadmill for cardio and then use it for resistance. I'll probably swim there in the indoor pool like I did in summer because I just plain love swimming and water in general. At home I do free weights, crunchless abs work out, and I'm adding yoga back for winter. :mrgreen:

I will not tell you how heavy my weights are right now because just like I told you many moons ago, and remains the same today, you could bench press ME Philo Soffee and that's way above my pay grade!

Thanks again!

(Most of my health/fitness threads are in Paradise. I was starting to put them in Prison in the hopes that faqs would light a fire under his @$$ and get with the program here, but no that's not gonna happen because he's chosen suicide in slow motion by food. Mainly, it's me, Cam, Steuss and canpakes that chimes in on the H&F stuff so feel free to join in!)
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Keep this up, Jersey Girl. People are paying attention. I know I am. In fact, you motivated my wife and I to go to the gym this morning, and as a result we set the goal to go to the gym 6/7 days per week for the month of December. Basically we're on a Tue-Sat schedule. I figure the gym and epic dog walks should stave off the desire to over do it during the worst-month-ever-for-eating-sweets.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Keep this up, Jersey Girl. People are paying attention. I know I am. In fact, you motivated my wife and I to go to the gym this morning, and as a result we set the goal to go to the gym 6/7 days per week for the month of December. Basically we're on a Tue-Sat schedule. I figure the gym and epic dog walks should stave off the desire to over do it during the worst-month-ever-for-eating-sweets.

- Doc

That's funny that you say I've motivated you, because you have been one of my strongest motivating forces as well. :-) We've had a lot going on the past 2 weeks and I just got back from the California trip yesterday that I posted about to get information. I wish you could have seen my Thanksgiving dinner plate. I had the smallest portions that you could imagine. High on the turkey end, sides were basically maybe a 1/4 cup if they were that. Some things I just had like a tablespoon of it-stuffing that sort of thing.

On the trip to Cali, I went with one of my kids. We walked our butts off all over Universal and City Walk all day long and night, and I don't mean strolling either. So I'm counting that as exercise because my feet told me to. ;-)

I didn't want this thread to turn into a vanity thread and that's one of the reasons that I tucked it away in Prison here. I also thought that faqs might join in, but like I said, that's not gonna happen because he's chosen a slow form of suicide and no one can change that but him, a point driven acutely home by your generous offer to him and his running away from it. He can run away, I've started running the driveway in spurts. ;-)

One of the main reasons that I write about this stuff is because I'm checking in with myself. Maybe this can be our check in thread that I mentioned on your offer thread. I'd really like that and I know I'd benefit from it.

You are exactly right about December being the time we need to get in gear and keep going. I'm not big into sweets but if they're around, I'll want to try some. I had a small piece of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving and loved every second of eating it. I say just keep moving and exercising through it. I managed to continue working out and eating healthy straight through Thanksgiving, and dropped another 1.5-2 pounds in the process. For me in my head, it's all about being fully aware of what you are eating and what you've eaten throughout the day and trying to strike an overall balance.

And I cheat. Cheating is my greatest weight loss tip! There, there, honey. Have yourself a nice piece of pumpkin pie!

;-)
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I wrote about some of the tactics techniques I used on myself to jumpstart regular workouts back in August. I'm going to put them here again because 1) it might be useful to someone else and 2) you'll soon find out what a psych case I really am.

After I decided that I was damn sure gonna get in shape and keep it going through winter and beyond, because I want to live a long time so I can love my people, (That's my main motivating factor), I had to reach down inside myself and figure out what would motivate me to actually do it.

Clothes, people. Clothes:

I'm not someone who is going to throw on a pair of leggings and an old t shirt and go work out. Not happening. If I can't look cute doing it, I'm not going to do it. So I collected up new compression leggings from Walmart Danskin line, another pair on sale at ON plus a couple of fleece hoodies so I don't coward my way out of it in winter. The tops that I already had would work. Also got a new pair of running shoes on Zappos (free shipping yay!) which was the most expensive purchase at $119.00. Don't care, I'm worth it.

Gym Membership:

I got myself the nicest gym in town. I couldn't believe it was affordable for me, $69.00 per month and the place is fitness Nirvana. I can do any kind of workout imaginable, go swimming, eat there, get my hair and nails done if I want to (pricey!!!), heck when it snows I can go ride it out over there because it's open 24/7 and they have food, free wifi, television and heat. ;-)

I know that some folks don't believe in gym memberships, but for me it's essential. If I limit myself to home workouts, I'll find something that needs doing around the house and put off exercises. I have to get out and away where there are no interruptions and where the only focus is on myself.

Weights:

I have a set of free weights from years ago that are called Heavy Hands. They screw on weights to a grip and it goes up to 10lbs. I love them. I can go up and down as I want to. I did buy a new pair of pink 2 pound weights to start out with because they're darn cute and "darn cute" motivates me. I also have access to JB's weights when I think I'm ready for more.

I will never be in the same league as Cam, Steuss or Philo Sofee, but I'm happy to be a league of my own starting from basic scratch and working forward from there.

Inspiration Board:

This might be where the true crazy in me comes out, but it works for me so hey. I made an inspiration board that is sort of like a menu of exercises. I had this padded message board given to me a long time ago that I never unwrapped or used. It's one of those padded things that has ribbons criss crossing it so you can tuck things in. I used my computer/printer to print out my "menu" in pretty colors using a pretty font--the darn cute factor again. ;-) So it says things like:

Yoga DVD
Yoga Class
Walk the Driveway
Treadmill
Free Weights
Swimming

It's put where I can see it every day and remind myself that I have more options than just the gym, so pick something and do it, woman. It's worked really well for me so far. I have to add my crunchless ab workout to it now.

What kinds of things do you do to motivate yourself to keep at it?
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Not trying to make this a vanity fair thread either, but we could all chime in and we do our workouts something like saying " pass" or "fail" or whatever. Keep us all on our toes, and keep us a goin! Make it fun and a game! :biggrin:
My motivation is to keep strong for my job. Lots of snow to shovel, plow and snowblow....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."