The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health and Fitness)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I'm changing this thread title so we can maybe just use this one thread to post on. If Cam decides otherwise, I'll go with whatever he does.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Good by me. I know this is probably extreme, but I have found eating a moderate breakfast and having my big meal for lunch with very little if any dinner (mostly a non-calory snack like pickles) has helped me lose some good weight. If I don't eat after 5:30 at night, it works pretty dern good for me in the long run. I never used to eat breakfast, and was told that is a big nono. So I just switched up breakfast and dinner and wala, the weight rolls off me by the tons......well, o.k., a smidgin of hyperbole, how about a few 1/2 ounces....Lol!

Another motivator for me is I keep track of how many of each exercise I do. Through time I can literally see my progress. I've been doing this since May. It really does work! That's how I knew when I first started that I couldn't hardly curl any weight at all with dumbbells. Now I think I am curling so much I am becoming a dumbbell.....Lol!

I do five sets of whatever exercise it is for my day. An example:
Monday
Curls pistons shoulder flys calf raises Wrist curls palm down Wrist curls palms up

Then I record how many I do in each set for 5 times. That way I see the number I need to beat to improve per set, as well as the number total in all 5 sets. It makes me force myself to improve. I love doing it this way. It's a history so to speak. I also talk to myself in writing as I am doing this. If I had a bad day I admit it and then tell myself no biggie, tomorrow a new day and I can improve. Or if I was sick on a day and did nothing, I say so on that day and vow to improve from that time forward. Sort of a journal rah rah ree type thing to keep my spirits up. Hey it works for me.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I remember you noting the amount of reps and weights you do, years ago. It sounds like you're into the math of what you do and that's what keeps you going. You really do want to keep score with yourself. That's why I think everyone needs to know what motivates them, because it's different for all of us.

I do keep a planner where I write down what exercise I did that day and I write it in codes. For example, WTD= walk the driveway. I clocked my driveway with the car so I know how many laps to do to get to a mile or mile and a half. The weather has turned really cold here now, so this is when I have to take the cardio into the gym and be faithful about it.

Losing weight really hasn't been hard for me. So long as I'm exercising regularly, I lose it and I probably weigh myself about once every 2 weeks. I mainly eat heart healthy and try to be conscious of portion size. I think the whole thing for me is being fully aware of what I eat throughout the day and what choices I make. When I cheat I don't feel at all guilty because I know I'll just keep moving forward on it. I don't keep a food journal because I would feel that was too restrictive and tedious for me.

Boredom is my enemy!
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

HA! We are kindred spirits. I don't keep a food journal either. However, I KNOW what foods to avoid... I mean they just clobber my waist line not to mention my hairdo - GRIN!

O.K., so tonight, I pass. I did my 500 push-ups. Yay me. Now shut up and go to bed idiot - he said to hisself.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:HA! We are kindred spirits. I don't keep a food journal either. However, I KNOW what foods to avoid... I mean they just clobber my waist line not to mention my hairdo - GRIN!

O.K., so tonight, I pass. I did my 500 push-ups. Yay me. Now shut up and go to bed idiot - he said to hisself.

500 push ups? I just returned to altitude from Hollywood. I can't even walk up the stairs in the house right now without feeling like I have 50 pound weights on my ankles and I usually run up them! :lol: Coming back to altitude always kicks my butt for a few days so it'll probably be Saturday before I get back to the gym.

But good on ya, Philo Sofee! Good on ya!

:-)
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yeah in May when I restarted my workouts I couldn't hardly do 12 for 3 sets. Now I am doing (for this month) 500 every other day. That will amount to almost enough push ups to make me sneeze.... :lol: Hey, I figure 7500 push ups for the foody holiday month could come in handy on my waistline, not to mention my triceps.... whee! I wonder if Shakespeare had anything to say about working out? LOL!

It's going to kill me, but for the start of the new year next year, I will attempt 800 every other day in January, then go to 900 in Feb., 1,000 in March etc. By the end of next year I am hoping to have 18 inch arms, and snap a pic to show the before and after......I was smart enough to take a pic of myself in my woose stage.... :lol:
Dr CamNC4Me
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Delete, duplicate post - sorry
Dr CamNC4Me
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:Yeah in May when I restarted my workouts I couldn't hardly do 12 for 3 sets. Now I am doing (for this month) 500 every other day. That will amount to almost enough push ups to make me sneeze.... :lol: Hey, I figure 7500 push ups for the foody holiday month could come in handy on my waistline, not to mention my triceps.... whee! I wonder if Shakespeare had anything to say about working out? LOL!

It's going to kill me, but for the start of the new year next year, I will attempt 800 every other day in January, then go to 900 in Feb., 1,000 in March etc. By the end of next year I am hoping to have 18 inch arms, and snap a pic to show the before and after......I was smart enough to take a pic of myself in my woose stage.... :lol:

Isn't there a point at which it's too much weight too many times? Maybe not for men? How do you know you're building muscle and not breaking it down?

Do you drink protein powder? We have some but I haven't tried it.

I WISH I had done a before picture of myself! I gained weight over last winter (there's a story there I'm not going to tell) and I sure felt it. But right now, I'm back to where I was about 2 years ago. I should have measured but I didn't. I just sort of winged my way into this. And when I say winged my way into this, I mean it was all I could do to shove myself into the car at first and make myself go to the gym! :lol:

Okay, since it's you I'll say how much I weighed when I started. I know people are going to think this is small potatoes BS, but you know I'm petite so it'll make sense to you. When I started working out in summer, I started at 135 which MATTERS on my small frame and now down to 127. So about 12 more pounds and oh my god, I'll be a stick but that's what the doc said so I'm going there!

I wonder if Shakespeare had anything to say about working out? LOL!

You remember.
Chinese Proverb
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

There is NEVER a point where more is too much......after all, If'n I'm gonna become a macho in a few dozen years, I gots ta hurry - GRIN!
I pass today as well. Had a work out and it was pretty dern good, so yeah baby! That's 2 for 2. The only days I hope to miss this month are Sundays. And yes that's deliberate. All other days....TORTURE! :lol:
Dr CamNC4Me
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Good for you Philo Sofee! I still need one more day to adjust to altitude I think. I can run up my stairs again, but I fizzle out in the afternoon. I plan on doing my weights and crunchless abs tomorrow since I have to stay home for other reasons.

Then back to the gym on Monday...give me strength!
Chinese Proverb