The Lost Patriarchal Order and the Apostolic Coup

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

The Lost Patriarchal Order and the Apostolic Coup

Post by _Kishkumen »

This thread is addressed primarily to consig, but others are welcome to contribute their wisdom and historical knowledge.

In 1979, the last Patriarch to the Church, Eldred G. Smith, was put on emeritus status and no replacement was called. Thus ended a high and holy office in the priesthood, which belonged to the Smith family by birthright. The Presiding Patriarch was once thought to be one of the highest priesthood offices, ranking above the apostles and possessing both presiding authority and sealing power. Its first latter-day occupant was Joseph Smith, Sr., who was ordained in 1833, and its second occupant was Hyrum, the brother of the Prophet.

After the assassination of Joseph and Hyrum, William Smith, the black sheep of the Smith, Sr. family, arranged with Young to be installed in Hyrum's place. Thus began the protracted decline of the office, which was eventually wholly subordinated to the apostles and demoted in the hierarchy. It did not help that Heber J. Grant insisted on placing his own choice of candidate in against the opposition of the Q12, or that when he succeeded in filling the office he called a gay men in an age of intolerance. By the time Eldred G. Smith came into the office, too much damage had been done, and he lacked diplomacy with the other leaders at crucial times.

Would it be implausible to suggest that the office of the Presiding Patriarch was feared because of the shadow of Smith charisma that stood independent of and above the apostles? In the end the apostles could not tolerate the competition, so they abolished the office altogether.

The loss, as Quinn pointed out, was something even Brigham would not have allowed, claiming as he did that the full church organization was required for the church to prevail. He mentioned the Patriarchate specifically.

Also intriguing are Joseph's statements and revelations on the subject. The patriarchal order was one of the three orders of the priesthood, in his vision, along with the Melchizedek and Aaronic. The saints were to have learned more about in when the Nauvoo Temple was completed. Some have argued that it is the priesthood held by endowed and sealed couples, who could preside in their homes without the constant intervention of apostolic authority.

One begins to see why it is that the apostles have been, as an institution, psychologically insecure for so long. Founded to oversee missionary work, they usurped control over everything in the Church, and in doing so either appropriated or stamped out anything that might challenge their rule. Correlation is the demiurgic offspring of this illicit authority. The only thing that might counterbalance their tyranny is the endowed members of the Church who constitute a latent order of the priesthood. That order is the key to women's priesthood and much else that bogs the LDS Church down.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: The Lost Patriarchal Order and the Apostolic Coup

Post by _sock puppet »

Sounds like the makings for a Dan Brown novel.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

sock puppet wrote:Sounds like the makings for a Dan Brown novel.

Nope. The apologists have scared him off because they threatened to call his efforts "priestcraft," not a legitimate way of making a living, like the church leaders do in the midst of luxury hotels, swimming pools, and shopping malls. God blesses you with wealth only when you pay your tithing and attend church.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

What were the duties of the Church Patriarch? Was he expected to pontificate or adjudicate on Church issues? My only point of familiarity with a Patriarch is the old men in the various Church Stakes who act as a fortune teller in their blessings. They can't even sell their blessings now like they could in the past. No Patriarchcraft allowed at this point.

Did Joseph Smith Sr. or Hyrum Smith bring special spiritual significance to this role? Did they get to sit in a sedan chair?

I want a sedan chair and proper symbols
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:What were the duties of the Church Patriarch? Was he expected to pontificate or adjudicate on Church issues? My only point of familiarity with a Patriarch is the old men in the various Church Stakes who act as a fortune teller in their blessings. They can't even sell their blessings now like they could in the past. No Patriarchcraft allowed at this point.

Did Joseph Smith Sr. or Hyrum Smith bring special spiritual significance to this role? Did they get to sit in a sedan chair?

The most distinctive duty of the Presiding Patriarch was to give blessings and preside over other patriarchs. Things got a little muddled when Hyrum was both in the FP and Presiding Patriarch. At that point, the presiding and sealing aspects of the office appeared to be substantive, but that might have been simply on account of his position in the FP. If I recall correctly, William Smith made the mistake of using his sealing authority to carry out ordinances without the knowledge of the apostles. The real problem here is that both the office and the priesthood order were insufficiently defined before Smith's assassination. But, they existed, and, to an extent, the patriarchal order can be said to still remain, although it can hardly be said to make an impact seeing how few people even know they belong to it as endowed and sealed members.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Ah, but Joseph himself gave the criteria and if Joseph could do this to God, why couldn't William?

Again the doctrin or sealing power of Elijah is as follows: If you have power to seal on earth & in heaven then we should be crafty. The first thing you do go & seal on earth your sons & daughters unto yourself & yourself unto your fathers in eternal glory & go ahead and not go back but use a little Craftiness & seal all you can & when you get to heaven tell your father that what you seal on earth should be sealed in heaven. I will walk through the gate of heaven and Claim what I seal & those that follow me & my Council. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 2, 1841–1845, p.365, March 10, 1844, added emphasis. This quote was drastically changed when it was put into the History of the Church (without ellipsis or any notification) and is still used today in its edited form. See quote at Note 8 here https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-jo ... 6?lang=eng at lds.org).
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

That is a truly great quote, and it show's a side of Joseph Smith that TBM's don't want to see. Thanks Grindael, for all you do.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Ah, but Joseph himself gave the criteria and if Joseph could do this to God, why couldn't William?

Again the doctrin or sealing power of Elijah is as follows: If you have power to seal on earth & in heaven then we should be crafty. The first thing you do go & seal on earth your sons & daughters unto yourself & yourself unto your fathers in eternal glory & go ahead and not go back but use a little Craftiness & seal all you can & when you get to heaven tell your father that what you seal on earth should be sealed in heaven. I will walk through the gate of heaven and Claim what I seal & those that follow me & my Council. (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, Vol. 2, 1841–1845, p.365, March 10, 1844, added emphasis. This quote was drastically changed when it was put into the History of the Church (without ellipsis or any notification) and is still used today in its edited form. See quote at Note 8 here https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-jo ... 6?lang=eng at lds.org).

Because he is William and not Joseph. But I think you are right that William felt he had license to do what he did because he was following Joseph's example.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Because he is William and not Joseph. But I think you are right that William felt he had license to do what he did because he was following Joseph's example.

But wasn't William following the counsel of Joseph? Where are their any instances of Joseph speaking out against William in Nauvoo? Danged if I can find any. Even when William ran with Bennett and Higbee and was involved up to his neck in those proceedings in 1842 Joseph was silent about him. Jo's apostles later claimed that Joseph made promises about his brother that they felt obligated to fulfill, until William broke with them in a very public way. They were all willing to cover up whatever he did.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:But wasn't William following the counsel of Joseph? Where are their any instances of Joseph speaking out against William in Nauvoo? Danged if I can find any. Even when William ran with Bennett and Higbee and was involved up to his neck in those proceedings in 1842 Joseph was silent about him. Jo's apostles later claimed that Joseph made promises about his brother that they felt obligated to fulfill, until William broke with them in a very public way. They were all willing to cover up whatever he did.

If I recall correctly, Joseph did not have William completely under control. William suggested that he knew something damaging about the origins of the Book of Mormon, so there were limits to Joseph's willingness to play with fire there.