A rather tall tale about the gold plates?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: A rather tall tale about the gold plates?

Post by _Lemmie »

grindael wrote:So... when Peepstone Jo said this, he was totally serious?

...he turned round to take the Book and it was not there and he was astonished that the Book was gone he that he would look in the place again and see if it had not got back again he had heard people tell of such things and he opened the Box and Behold the Book was there he took hold of it to take it out again and Behold he could not stur the Book any more than he could the mountain he exclaimed why can't I stur this Book and he was answered you have not done rite you should have took the Book and a gone right away you can't have it now. ...

It is ten times better then I expected. Then he went on to the length and width and thickness of the plates and said they appear to be gold But he seemed to think more of the glasses or the urim and thummim then he did of the plates for says he I CAN SEE ANYTHING, THEY ARE MARVELOUS. Now they are written in caricters and I want them translated...

Really? Plates that magically vanish? And reappear again? He could see ANYTHING? C'mon.

Wow, they really had to clean that story up for correlation, right?! What a 2-bit con artist Joseph Smith was.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder what goes through Smart Guy's brain when he accidentally reads something like that...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

mentalgymnast wrote:
You're serious? No links to your sources?

Why?

Tell you what Smart Guy, I'll reveal my source if you tell me what you think of the veracity of the recollection.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I wonder what goes through Smart Guy's brain when he accidentally reads something like that...

- Doc

I think the Smart Guy's brain has too many filters to do a proper search accidentally or on purpose.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

grindael wrote: I'll reveal my source if you tell me what you think of the veracity of the recollection.

I suppose you are free to disregard my request for a source. I find it interesting that you seem to be unwilling to do so. A while back I think I was taken to task for forgetting to link to a source...which I then did.

I think that it would be well to stick to a standard of linking to sources when we cut and paste. My guess is that, on the whole, others are in agreement...but for some reason aren't chiming in. :confused:

Regards,
MG
_Sophocles
_Emeritus

Post by _Sophocles »

Quit yer bickering, kids, takes two seconds to Google...

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Prim ... seph_Smith
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

mentalgymnast wrote:You're serious? No links to your sources?

Why?

Regards,
MG

I can't vouch for the integrity of this so-called "source", but it comes from Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture, Volume 5 (2013) page 145.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

moksha wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:You're serious? No links to your sources?

Why?

Regards,
MG

I can't vouch for the integrity of this so-called "source", but it comes from Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture, Volume 5 (2013) page 145.

It doesn't come from them, it comes from the CHL. It's an original holograph. And I didn't "forget" to link to a source or name it. I know where it came from, and I know its veracity.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Sophocles wrote:Quit yer bickering, kids, takes two seconds to Google...

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Prim ... seph_Smith

Exactly. Smarty Pants can Google everything else. Why not this? Because he would rather make the argument about why I didn't source it instead of the actual account, that's why. He fell right into my trap.