DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Lemmie »

Again Peterson seems to have trouble putting ideas into his own words. The time line in his recent post about Einstein and spooky action is almost entirely, word for word, lifted from a book called Entangled Minds. It's one thing to paraphrase, but in addition to copying the timeline idea, Peterson uses actual, complete phrases, including unique adjectives, footnotes and grammatical notation, all from this unattributed source.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... TstRpeL.99

After quoting Wikipedia with attribution in the first two paragraphs of his post, Peterson finishes up with a timeline. He seems to attribute the work, with a citation at the end of the next paragraph, but it turns out that the footnote he rearranges and uses is not for those words. It is a reference identical to the footnote used in the work he is actually plagiarizing, right down to the page number, in the exact same position. It is NOT the work whose words he continues to use in his following paragraphs, which I confirmed by reviewing page 683 in the footnote reference.

The text DCP plagiarizes can be found on pages 72-76, plus footnote for page 72, in:

Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality
By Dean Radin

Here is Peterson's post, the words in blue are from the book by Dean Radin:
In 1949, Albert Einstein, who was troubled throughout his life by certain implications of quantum physics, compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.The point of the analogy, of course, was that he rejected as essentially “magical” or “occultic” the notion that separated objects could be entangled at a distance.  It was a reductio ad absurdum argument.

(P. A. Schilpp, ed., Albert Einstein, Philosopher-Scientist, The Library of Living Philosophers [Evanston, IL, 1949], 683.)

In 1964, the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell proved
mathematically — in what has since been called “Bell’s theorem” — that quantum theory does indeed require “spooky action at a distance,” as he himself and, perhaps, Einstein too, termed it.  (Sadly, Bell died unexpectedly in 1990 of a cerebral hemorrhage, only 62 years old and unaware that he had just been nominated for a Nobel Prize, which cannot be awarded posthumously.)

In 1972, physicists Stuart Freedman and John F. Clauser published a successful experimental test of Bell’s theorem.  (See “Bell test experiments.”)

In the early 1980s, the French physicist Alain Aspect was able to publish the first widely accepted evidence that “spooky action at a distance” actually exists and occurs.

So, how close is the analogy, really, between telepathy and quantum entanglement?

Here are the relevant excerpts from Dean Radin's book:
[excerpts from pp 72-75, and p 72 footnote]

After the war, in 1949, the Soviet Union tested its first atomic bomb, and Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical South Pacific opened on Broadway. Albert Einstein compared quantum theory's prediction about entangled particles to telepathy [footnote 39]....He used this analogy to imply that quantum theory must be incomplete because he couldn't believe that any separated Objects could be entangled, either at the atomic or human scales…

Footnote 39. Einstein, A. (1949). Albert Einstein, Philosopher-Scientist. In P. A. Schilpp (ed.), The Library of Living Philosophers. Evanston, IL, p. 683.

In 1964,
Martin Luther King Jr. ….That same year in Europe, Irish physicist John Bell mathematically proved that quantum theory requires "spooky action at a distance"...
This famous proof would become known as Bell's theorem and some physicists regard it as the…

In 1972, the first successful video game (Pong) was released… and physicists Stuart Freedman and John F. Clauser published a successful experimental test of Bell's theorem.

In 1979, the Sony Walkman was introduced…. A few years later, …. French physicist Alain Aspect and his colleagues at the Institut d'Optique in Orsay, France, published the first widely accepted evidence that spooky action at a distance exists. The idea of quantum entanglement was no longer a theoretical possibility....

https://books.google.com/books?id=sUM1H ... ky&f=false
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Grudunza »

He’s just following the prophet Joseph, copying and paraphrasing from the KJV, Late War, Masonic ritual, etc.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

There isn't enough there. Close, but not enough. First of all, conforming quotes to the Chicago Style Guide is not copying. You have to exclude those. Strings of three or four words or less, unless they are particularly quirky things, are merely "common" knowledge phrases. Certainly not one or two word phrases.

Your longest phrases are these:

(1)In 1964, the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell proved mathematically

(2)In 1972, physicists Stuart Freedman and John F. Clauser published a successful experimental test of Bell’s theorem.

(3)publish the first widely accepted evidence that “spooky action at a distance”

(4)compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.

Really not enough, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.

I will note that phrase (4) does not appear in Radin's work. Nor does (3) exist although the only difference is quote marks. Nor is (2). Nor is (1). Your analysis is incorrect, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Thanks for doing this. I'm fairly certain, from our interaction with Mr. Peterson on this forum, one could go through a good percentage of his online posting, if not publications, and find volumes of unattributed plagiarized material.

I wish I could find that thread where I popped him for plagiarizing some material and Yahoo Bot came to his defense stating that it's not plagiarizing because posting here doesn't count.

Speaking of plagiarizing!

A blast from the past:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45825&p=1049182&hilit=plagiarized#p1049182

Gotta love MG's recalcitrance.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Yahoo Bot wrote:There isn't enough there. Close, but not enough. First of all, conforming quotes to the Chicago Style Guide is not copying. You have to exclude those. Strings of three or four words or less, unless they are particularly quirky things, are merely "common" knowledge phrases. Certainly not one or two word phrases.

Your longest phrases are these:

(1)In 1964, the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell proved mathematically

(2)In 1972, physicists Stuart Freedman and John F. Clauser published a successful experimental test of Bell’s theorem.

(3)publish the first widely accepted evidence that “spooky action at a distance”

(4)compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.

Really not enough, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.

I will note that phrase (4) does not appear in Radin's work. Nor does (3) exist although the only difference is quote marks. Nor is (2). Nor is (1). Your analysis is incorrect, at least from a copyright infringement standpoint.

Holy. Shnikes. Deja effing vu.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Just Tator here the sigline stalker checking in.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Yahoo Bot wrote:(4)compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.

I will note that phrase (4) does not appear in Radin's work.
incorrect.
phrase 4 in DCP:
]In 1949, Albert Einstein, who was troubled throughout his life by certain implications of quantum physics, compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.
phrase 4 in original:
In 1949,... Albert Einstein compared quantum theory's prediction about entangled particles to telepathy
yb wrote:Nor does (3) exist although the only difference is quote marks.) Nor is (2). Nor is (1).

please see original post. you are incorrect on all 4.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Thanks for doing this. I'm fairly certain, from our interaction with Mr. Peterson on this forum, one could go through a good percentage of his online posting, if not publications, and find volumes of unattributed plagiarized material.

I wish I could find that thread where I popped him for plagiarizing some material and Yahoo Bot came to his defense stating that it's not plagiarizing because posting here doesn't count.

Speaking of plagiarizing!

A blast from the past:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45825&p=1049182&hilit=plagiarized#p1049182

Gotta love MG's recalcitrance.

- Doc

You're welcome. I had forgotten about that thread you linked to--what a funny re-read that was! It's bad enough to get caught copying, but when you plagiarize the comment errors as well, it's just embarrassing.

Yahoo Bot, you have a very unique and disturbingly casual definition of plagiarism. The comment about conforming quotes was odd, as Peterson acknowledged no quotes at all of Radin in the part of his work I posted. Kind of the point when plagiarizing, right?
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Unfortunately, this is just one more example from a lifetime of Daniel C. Peterson's plagarism.

Here are just a few of the numerous examples of blatant plagarism Daniel C. Peterson has engaged in:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromo ... eret-news/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... today.html

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromo ... ng-defeat/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromo ... eret-news/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

That was a CRAZY thread. Holy crap. I can't believe I even wrote this,

You forget where you are, genius. No one forces you to come here. Yep, you are going to get pushback here. You ARE wildly speculating. Please cite all the evidence to support your statement and I'll supply mine. I bet you have none. We are not your Sunday School class. You can lie and promote your fake history with them, but it doesn't work here, and that just burns your chaps, eh Mental? And just like every other time, you don't address the elephant in the room (the evidence) you offer only vague speculations that are about as intellectually stimulating as sitting through a General Conference watching old men drool out their politically correct banalities. Then, you have to resort to the desperate measure of calling any pushback something it is not, some kind of what... Svengali power to stop you and other Mormons from thinking what they want? Wow, I didn't know I had such power! Now what could I do with that... :twisted:

Was the last Conference any different???
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.