Member of local Bishopric jailed on sex abuse charges

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Member of local Bishopric jailed on sex abuse charges

Post by _I have a question »

Yes, yet another example of why one on one interviews with minors conducted by Church Leaders should be immediately ended. No more excuses.

An American Fork church leader arrested earlier this week is now facing second degree felony charges of forcible sexual abuse. He was a counselor in the bishopric -- a group of men who lead a congregation -- in a local unit of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“It’s really really concerning that it’s a neighbor,” said a neighbor who didn't want to be identified. She said she knows of 44-year-old Jeffrey Graton, the 2nd counselor in a bishopric in her neighborhood ward. “When it’s a member of the community like that, people don’t suspect, they, ya know, they trust individuals like that.”

Over the weekend, The American Fork Police Department said accusations of sexual abuse against 44-year-old Graton came out. That’s when officers were called to his house.

“They might have believed he was suicidal because he left his residence with a gun, but they were able to make contact with him and he voluntarily gave up the gun.” Sgt. Josh Christensen with American Fork PD said.

Christensen said Graton admitted to inappropriately touching a young girl above and below her clothing multiple times two to three years ago. It’s not clear if he was in the bishopric at that time.

Right now, according to Christensen, it was believed to be an isolated case.

“This was not a random person and a random target, they had a relationship, they knew each other,” he said.

But investigators are not completely ruling out that there could be other victims.

“Obviously there’s concern of was there anybody else. And all I can say right now is we are unaware any other incidents,” he said.

“They trust them that they are going to do good, trust them with their children and it’s just not safe, you can’t really trust anyone these days,” the neighbor said.

http://kutv.com/news/local/american-for ... se-charges

A second counselor in a bishopric in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was arrested Monday after reportedly sexually abusing a girl multiple times.

Jeffrey Graton, 40, of American Fork, was arrested on suspicion of three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.

Police responded Sunday to a call at the 300th block of 620 South in American Fork Sunday night on a welfare check after an LDS bishop called to have police check on Graton, a second counselor in an LDS bishopric.

Graton reportedly had left his home with a gun and wasn’t answering his phone after it was reported he had inappropriately touched a girl several years ago, according to a police report. Graton was found and gave the rifle to an LDS leader.

The abuse reportedly happened 10 times.

Graton reportedly told police he had touched the girl’s chest and thighs, both under and over clothing, while giving her a massage in two occasions two and a half years ago. He also admitted to grabbing the girl’s hand and using it to touch his genitals.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/c ... 1a697.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Member of local Bishopric jailed on sex abuse charges

Post by _candygal »

Another sick story...and enough of private interviews for both young men and women of all ages..enough..

My daughter told me of an experience with a now long gone bishop..had my husband had known..the holy crap would have been kicked in a Bishop's balls..enough.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Not defending the practice of private interviews, but mine were always with the Bishop, not a counselor. Do the counselors also have private interviews? Maybe Moinmoin could shed some light.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

Res Ipsa wrote:Not defending the practice of private interviews, but mine were always with the Bishop, not a counselor. Do the counselors also have private interviews? Maybe Moinmoin could shed some light.

Counselors can do all interviews now (to lighten the bishop's load). Typically, the bishop will do the annual and the counselors the semi-annual for youth. But they can extend callings, interview for temple baptisms, patriarchal blessings, child baptisms, etc. The bishop should be the one to interview for priesthood ordination/advancement, but counselors can also do this if the bishop is unavailable.

I probably do 80% of the youth interviews, with the counselors doing probably 20%.

This is a relatively recent change. As you note, historically much of these had to be the bishop.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Thanks. I’ve been out a while and was unaware of the change. Seems to me that’s a tripling of the risk.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Res Ipsa wrote:Thanks. I’ve been out a while and was unaware of the change. Seems to me that’s a tripling of the risk.

I was just about to post exactly the same comment.

I may not be remembering this correctly, but don't bishops get to choose their own counselors, subject to approval? When my ex was called to the bishopric, our friend the bishop told us he had made the decision himself. Yet another layer of untrained professionals choosing who has unfettered access to children.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

That’s how it used to work. I’d be surprised if that has changed.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Aaaaaaaaand reason #2776 why I kept my two daughters away from the church.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

A second counselor in a bishopric in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was arrested Monday after reportedly sexually abusing a girl multiple times.

Jeffrey Graton, 40, of American Fork, was arrested on suspicion of three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.

Police responded Sunday to a call at the 300th block of 620 South in American Fork Sunday night on a welfare check after an LDS bishop called to have police check on Graton, a second counselor in an LDS bishopric.

Graton reportedly had left his home with a gun and wasn’t answering his phone after it was reported he had inappropriately touched a girl several years ago, according to a police report. Graton was found and gave the rifle to an LDS leader.

The abuse reportedly happened 10 times.

Graton reportedly told police he had touched the girl’s chest and thighs, both under and over clothing, while giving her a massage in two occasions two and a half years ago. He also admitted to grabbing the girl’s hand and using it to touch his genitals.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/c ... 1a697.html[/quote]

This is supposedly a man God specifically chose to serve in a capacity that gave him privileged and authoritative access to minors, including unsupervised time alone with them where questions of a sexual nature are officially required to be asked by someone serving in such capacity.

Any parent who allows their child to be alone with a Mormon leader is guilty of knowingly placing their child in harms way.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I have a question wrote:Yes, yet another example of why one on one interviews with minors conducted by Church Leaders should be immediately ended. No more excuses.

[SNIP!]

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/c ... 1a697.html

Oh you heathens are all the same, What you are failing to take in to account is that his Bishop received a spiritual witness from God to have this man called as his counselor. God had obviously already taken this man's pedophilia history into account prior to sending that special witness to the Bishop. So...why is everyone getting their garmmies all tied up in a bunch. Back off this special man...he was called by the Mormon God through revelation and inspiration...and we all know that you can trust a spiritual witness to only confirm what God wants us to know is true, cuz God does not lie.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka