Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

Post by _Kishkumen »

I was poking around on the internet looking for information about Tom Christofferson after listening to his Mormon Stories interviews, when I came upon this interesting youtube video of a talk by Elder Christofferson. It is billed as a "faith promoting story" in the description, but appears to be an account, offered in some conference or leadership meeting, of the mundane process by which the age of eligibility for a mission was changed. It is interesting, because Christofferson presents this as an example of divine inspiration.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLpr2BU2yU

You have to listen very carefully, as the quality of the recording is not that good, unfortunately. I would apologize, but I am not the one who recorded it or shared it. I am just bringing this interesting tidbit to your attention.

What is its value? Well, it has already been noted elsewhere that President Eyring got very teary in his description of a similar scenario. A business meeting brought about a change in policy, and . . . President Eyring is blubbering about it as though it were an angelic visitation or something!

So, there you have it. It is interesting to watch the evolution of institutional charisma in the LDS Church.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Pretty amazing how he can call a normal deliberative process that any organization does "revelation" and still have a straight face. He should have stopped with the first explanation that drew the Mormon laughter because that is what really happened.

Christopherson has a lot to learn on selling this nonsense, though. Eyring would have teared up as he explained when they reviewed the pie chart and statistical analyses. Surely these charts were from the Lord .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I am surprised they have not announced a revelation selling shares in the City Creek Mall or mosquito infested swamp land in Florida.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The more I think about this the more I loath Eyring and those who use emotion as a church weapon in order to concoct "revelation" out of the mundane.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The LDS religion makes business decisions and calls them revelation. What a joke. What a laugh. Modern Mormonism is an obvious spoof. It’s going to take everything just to hold on to the members they got. Missionary work is finished. The work is done. The harvest is over. Now we get to gleefully sit back and watch the great Mormon era of decline as the church bleeds its members and resources. The apostles are silly old fools making stuff up to flatter themselves. It’s like watching a circus with clowns and all. What a joke. Hey Tommy, how about another story about a poor widow or little Jimmy’s Christmas train set?

:lol:
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Kishkumen wrote:I was poking around on the internet looking for information about Tom Christofferson after listening to his Mormon Stories interviews, when I came upon this interesting youtube video of a talk by Elder Christofferson. It is billed as a "faith promoting story" in the description, but appears to be an account, offered in some conference or leadership meeting, of the mundane process by which the age of eligibility for a mission was changed. It is interesting, because Christofferson presents this as an example of divine inspiration.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLpr2BU2yU

You have to listen very carefully, as the quality of the recording is not that good, unfortunately. I would apologize, but I am not the one who recorded it or shared it. I am just bringing this interesting tidbit to your attention.

What is its value? Well, it has already been noted elsewhere that President Eyring got very teary in his description of a similar scenario. A business meeting brought about a change in policy, and . . . President Eyring is blubbering about it as though it were an angelic visitation or something!

So, there you have it. It is interesting to watch the evolution of institutional charisma in the LDS Church.

Your phrase "Evolution of institutional charisma" is apt. From a first prophet dictating God's words, it has evolved to revelation by committee. Charisma refers to the gifts of the Spirit, and what a what a wonderful gift committees can be. For persons like the apostles, who already believe, it is a strong position, especially in our 21st century reality.

One telling part of the revelatory evolution is Joseph revising certain revelations in the Book of Commandments.

A second telling part of the evolution occurred when Wilford Woodruff's and John Taylor's "revelations" of the late 19th century, were dismissed in favor of manifestos and official declarations.

Does a God who values truth want this inconsistent and shifting context to be taught and discussed? I would think so.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Maybe it is grand revelation, designed to help slow the tide of the Church and contribute to people uncovering the illusion--kind of like the internet.

Less converts, less missionaries, more missionaries falling victim to disillusionment and heading home early. Maybe in the long run this revelation is in place to make a mockery of the whole enterprise.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Hmmm, it seems I and my colleagues have multiple revelations every day at work. Who knew.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Is this a significant development?
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I have a question wrote:Hmmm, it seems I and my colleagues have multiple revelations every day at work. Who knew.

LOL
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB