Russia Likely Did Swing Votes For Donald Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_schreech
_Emeritus

Re: Russia Likely Did Swing Votes For Donald Trump

Post by _schreech »

Markk wrote:Or you can try to deal with EAllusion's/Doc's and mine ongoing conversation on this topic Kish. EAllusion insists my argument of experience, is of non factor, and his argument of selected links are fact. He even goes so far as to ask me questions like why would we hire an illegal or green card immigrant without a resume and references...which proves my point he does not understand what the market demands or who these folks are. There are reasons why I asked the question I did...I am comparing the work market in around the 10th largest economy in the world, with millions of illegal and green card immigrants, with his experience in Mayberry. There is a difference a huge difference. I work with these immigrants everyday...I have a pretty good general understanding of their lifestyles here and what they will work for. Is this really off the table?

You are so full of Sh$%. I also live in southern California and my take home pay has gone up dramatically over the last 10-15 years and the value of my ownership in the companies I run has gone through the roof, therefore illegal immigration positively affects wages and the value of the things I own (see what I did there?). My experience is exactly the opposite of yours living in the "10th largest economy in the world" - as if that somehow adds credibility to your nonsense - therefore you are wrong and immigration is good for wages, because "data". See, I can also incorrectly use anecdotal experiences to make fallacious arguments. Remind me again, where else have you lived outside LA? What other countries have you visited and worked in? I mean, you are telling us that we need to take your vast experience into account while ignoring all those faulty "studies" referenced by people who have no "real world" experience. I work across a number of different industries, all are doing great in Socal and across the US - do you also credit immigrants for the constant stream of successful businesses starting up in California or do you only blame them for the few industries that are experiencing decreasing wages?

Like all major metropolitan areas, LA has sh%$hole neighborhoods and it sounds like you have chosen to live in one and you choose to spend your time bitching about it rather trying to move or improve it. Its sad to watch people like you lash out at immigrants as the root of your problems rather than looking at the choices you have made in life. I love where I live and the immigrants in my area add dramatically to the culture and diversity of the cities I live and work in. If you work a job in which you compete with non to semi english speaking somewhat skilled to unskilled laborers, maybe you are doing it wrong. If your wages are affected negatively by unskilled illegal immigrants then maybe you should try to expand you skill set or move someplace a little less diverse (I'm sure ajax and his aryan fellowship would welcome another white brother to wva with open arms) because, you know, free market and all that....or are you saying that the government owes you a certain wage and that capitalism is not the best system for regulating how people should be paid?

Your experience has exactly 0 relevance to the argument you are trying to make. Your myopic views of the effects that immigrants have on wages in general and outside the tiny little world you reside and work in are laughable and your inability to grasp even basic economic principles or understand the studies presented just shows how out of your depth you are. Half my neighbors are immigrants - hard workers, home owners and willing to do whatever it takes to pay their bills and support their families. Guess what, not all immigrants are the same, not all neighborhoods resemble the the neighborhood you have chosen to live and/or work in and very few industries resemble the ONE industry you have experience in. Im sure immigration affects different places in different ways - both positively and negatively and your views are about as shallow as I have seen on the subject. That said, you might want to brush up on basic economics and gain at least a remedial understanding of what constitutes statistical significance.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Mark wrote:Gad...we have a inexhaustible supply of cheap waiver...where do you live?

Most of my working life has been in San Diego. I never saw any illegals where I went to work. Not a single one that I suspected and I'm closer to the border than you are.

My own scientific personal observations would be that San Diego (and surrounding) is a innovative city. The biotech companies are endless, there are several large telecom and high tech companies -- a mini silicon valley with Qualcomm and Intuit. Some large financial companies, healthcare providers, and even down to beer -- Stone, Greenflash; basically Southern California has redefined beer.

So whether someone wants to start the next tech startup or take their bathtub microbrew project into an industrial zone, we need buildings to pop on on demand. We don't need pipe fitters to sit back and and hold out a hand every time we need to hook up gas across to the street to a new lot. We don't need a great beer to go unrealized because cutting the palm trees at the new production site will cost as much as the machinery to start brewing.

Too lead the way as innovators, we need to keep the "lights-on" operations as cheap as possible. Jobs that are well understood and easily scripted get contracted or outsourced, so the focus can be on the core business product.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Markk wrote:Or you can try to deal with EA's/Doc's and mine ongoing conversation on this topic Kish. EA insists my argument of experience, is of non factor, and his argument of selected links are fact. He even goes so far as to ask me questions like why would we hire an illegal or green card immigrant without a resume and references...which proves my point he does not understand what the market demands or who these folks are. There are reasons why I asked the question I did...I am comparing the work market in around the 10th largest economy in the world, with millions of illegal and green card immigrants, with his experience in Mayberry. There is a difference a huge difference. I work with these immigrants everyday...I have a pretty good general understanding of their lifestyles here and what they will work for. Is this really off the table?

Markk, I simply do not believe that your experience in California qualifies you to address these problems. Sorry! I would rely on a nerd who knows how to work with research on issues like this long before I trusted your limited personal experience. Complex problems, in my opinion, are not solved by trusting the gut instinct and experience of one guy living in a society of tens of millions of people.

That difference between us probably explains why we think differently about politics.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Kishkumen wrote:
Markk wrote:Or you can try to deal with EAllusion's/Doc's and mine ongoing conversation on this topic Kish. EAllusion insists my argument of experience, is of non factor, and his argument of selected links are fact. He even goes so far as to ask me questions like why would we hire an illegal or green card immigrant without a resume and references...which proves my point he does not understand what the market demands or who these folks are. There are reasons why I asked the question I did...I am comparing the work market in around the 10th largest economy in the world, with millions of illegal and green card immigrants, with his experience in Mayberry. There is a difference a huge difference. I work with these immigrants everyday...I have a pretty good general understanding of their lifestyles here and what they will work for. Is this really off the table?

Markk, I simply do not believe that your experience in California qualifies you to address these problems. Sorry! I would rely on a nerd who knows how to work with research on issues like this long before I trusted your limited personal experience. Complex problems, in my opinion, are not solved by trusting the gut instinct and experience of one guy living in a society of tens of millions of people.

That difference between us probably explains why we think differently about politics.

A big part of Markk's credibility issue stems from his not demonstrating he understands the discussion at any level. Repeated attempts to explain how he can observe lower pay in the construction industry, depressed or stagnant real wages today compared to a few decades ago, AND how the impact of immigration on real wages is primarily a net positive impact for most except those in direct competition with immigrants for jobs seems to be wasted time.

This discussion has helped illuminate something for me, though. That being, it's nice to see Markk coming into the embrace of his rightful blue collar savior Demand-side Jesus when in the past he was completely resistant to all data and research showing Reaganomics had not really helped the lower and middle classes out, and the top 0.1% have made out like bandits in the intervening years so it wasn't as if the tide didn't rise. So, apparently the best way to get past conservative myopia is to start a different discussion where they can find a way to blame the first issue being discussed on a conservative pariah. The next step in this discussion isn't to try to change Markk's mind directly, but to show how immigrants are strong supporters of outlawing abortion or something similar, then he'll be singing their praises while attacking another liberal group.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Markk wrote:Or you can try to deal with EA's/Doc's and mine ongoing conversation on this topic Kish. EA insists my argument of experience, is of non factor, and his argument of selected links are fact. He even goes so far as to ask me questions like why would we hire an illegal or green card immigrant without a resume and references...which proves my point he does not understand what the market demands or who these folks are. There are reasons why I asked the question I did...I am comparing the work market in around the 10th largest economy in the world, with millions of illegal and green card immigrants, with his experience in Mayberry. There is a difference a huge difference. I work with these immigrants everyday...I have a pretty good general understanding of their lifestyles here and what they will work for. Is this really off the table?
I asked you what I did, knowing the answer, to demonstrate a point as it relates to your initial claim. I already spelled this out.

I am asking you about what you think about the economists you are disagreeing with - you really are just shooting the messenger here - because you feel the need to try and explain the points I'm expressing in terms of belittling observations that should equally apply to the economists you are disagreeing with. I haven't been referring to the views of a few fringe cranks. This is the common position. It's really just a demonstration of your arrogance.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

EAllusion wrote:I asked you what I did, knowing the answer, to demonstrate a point as it relates to your initial claim. I already spelled this out.

I am asking you about what you think about the economists you are disagreeing with - you really are just shooting the messenger here - because you feel the need to try and explain the points I'm expressing in terms of belittling observations that should equally apply to the economists you are disagreeing with. I haven't been referring to the views of a few fringe cranks. This is the common position. It's really just a demonstration of your arrogance.

Arrogance? LOL. If wages are down from 1960 and buying power is down from 1960...what does that say EA. Immigrants are taking American jobs, that is undisputable. You live in a emperors new clothes world.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Markk wrote:
Arrogance? LOL. If wages are down from 1960 and buying power is down from 1960...what does that say EA. Immigrants are taking American jobs, that is undisputable. You live in a emperors new clothes world.

Yes, the idea that labor economists don't understand thee most basic economic inferences that you come up with in a few minutes of supposin' because they lack your "real world" experience is pretty darn arrogant. Usually, when professional experts as a group are wrong about something, their failings are a touch more nuanced than them actually being basement dwelling fools who need some hard-knock experience.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Kishkumen wrote:

What about the conflicting data on the net, why do you choose one study over another? Did you take the time to evaluate all of the different studies?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Markk wrote:
EAllusion wrote:I asked you what I did, knowing the answer, to demonstrate a point as it relates to your initial claim. I already spelled this out.

Arrogance? LOL. If wages are down from 1960 and buying power is down from 1960...what does that say EAllusion. Immigrants are taking American jobs, that is undisputable. You live in a emperors new clothes world.

Omg. This has to be one of the most ignorant things I’ve read on this site. That’s impressive. Yes, nothing else has changed in the last 60 years other than immigration. The only possible factor you can see in your imaginary decrease in wages and buying power is the number of immigrants coming to the US. Dude. You are so out of touch with reality you have left us with no place to actually start trying to explain how wrong you are. At this point you are just saying things hoping people will start ignoring you yea? You have stepped into subbacfaps territory now, impervious to information and logic.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

EAllusion wrote:
Yes, the idea that labor economists don't understand thee most basic economic inferences that you come up with in a few minutes of supposin' because they lack your "real world" experience is pretty darn arrogant. Usually, when professional experts as a group are wrong about something, their failings are a touch more nuanced than them actually being basement dwelling fools who need some hard-knock experience.

Your are just butt hurt now.