The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

schreech wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:-snip-

Awesome write up, holy cow. Im back in London saturday and you have inspired me to spend some non-work realated time in the city this weekend before heading off to eastern europe for the rest of the week. I probably spend a month of each year in London and forget how amazing that city is so thanks for the reminder!

I'm happy that my descriptions inspired you! Please, for the love of all that is British...eat Fish n' Chips at the Sherlock Holmes and visit Borough Market to eat anything!

I just need to know someone is living it! :lol:

This was our first shot at London (and Scotland). I had great help from two posters here and of course, I spent hours upon hours (months) researching--I had a 15 page list by neighborhood of various points of interest and places to eat, and the map basically memorized in my head--visual person right here. ;-) I couldn't memorize the tube map on a dare! :lol:

We never intended to hit every location, we just had that 15 page list to draw from if we found ourselves enjoying an area. My sis was very happy with the trip, that we made plans on the fly. She appreciated how we were able to cluster things together because I knew what was around.

The Shard is behind us, the river is in front of us and Borough Market should be in between, this isn't the original Globe Theater because fire, Shakespeare isn't buried in Westminster Abbey's Poets Corner, there's a pub around there where Jack the Ripper (and two of his victims) was/were known to frequent, Charles Dickens is mentioned in almost every pub description. I mean, I knew all sorts of little tidbits by the time we got there.

So, you have yourself a great time and would LOVE to hear what you did and saw on your trip!

p.s. The have a Charles Dickens Pub Walk Tour! :lol:

https://www.dickenslondontours.co.uk/di ... b-walk.htm
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I said I was going to write about the disorder that I have and I will probably tomorrow after an important appointment. But first.

My scale is broken.

121!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't see that weight since...well...I don't want to say when!

:lol:

I can't believe I'm nearing 120. Just. can't. believe. it.

And no, pounds aren't everything. But damn. I'm really pleased that something is going right!
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Weight is holding right where I reported it last. No clue why. In any case, I'm excited to add something new to my exercise repertoire which needs a little um...jump start...yeah, that's it. ;-)

Just learned that a new dance class is starting after the first of the year. Like a mile from my home. It's country line dancing which I already know how to do but still...I would MUCH rather dance for 1.5 hours than anything else that resembles exercise.

So...I'm doing it as soon as they work out the details and announce the first class.

:-)
Chinese Proverb
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Jersey Girl wrote:This was our first shot at London (and Scotland). I had great help from two posters here and of course, I spent hours upon hours (months) researching--I had a 15 page list by neighborhood of various points of interest and places to eat, and the map basically memorized in my head--visual person right here. ;-) I couldn't memorize the tube map on a dare! :lol:

Did you make it to Scotland? We're in Edinburgh. I'd like to see Skye and am suggesting it for our 20th anniversray coming up. Need to do more convincing...

by the way It's wonderful seeing someone meet their fitness goals! I am looking forward to that, too, yet again. Not giving up!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Meadowchik wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:This was our first shot at London (and Scotland). I had great help from two posters here and of course, I spent hours upon hours (months) researching--I had a 15 page list by neighborhood of various points of interest and places to eat, and the map basically memorized in my head--visual person right here. ;-) I couldn't memorize the tube map on a dare! :lol:

Did you make it to Scotland? We're in Edinburgh. I'd like to see Skye and am suggesting it for our 20th anniversray coming up. Need to do more convincing...

by the way It's wonderful seeing someone meet their fitness goals! I am looking forward to that, too, yet again. Not giving up!

Yes, we sure did! You can read a post about it here on the thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1154225#p1154225

I SO loved Edinburgh! I envy you being there!Lord I would just about kill to go to the Isle of Skye. I think I could spend an entire month in Scotland and not get enough of it. I miss it so much...

Never give up on fitness goals. Just get back on the horse when you're ready! You're welcome to use this thread as a journal if you want. It's the most positive and supportive thread on the entire board. That's what I intended it to be...which is why I tucked it away here in Prison.

Chinese Proverb
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Jersey Girl wrote:Yes, we sure did! You can read a post about it here on the thread:

viewtopic.php?p=1154225#p1154225

I SO loved Edinburgh! I envy you being there!Lord I would just about kill to go to the Isle of Skye. I think I could spend an entire month in Scotland and not get enough of it. I miss it so much...

Never give up on fitness goals. Just get back on the horse when you're ready! You're welcome to use this thread as a journal if you want. It's the most positive and supportive thread on the entire board. That's what I intended it to be...which is why I tucked it away here in Prison.

What a great trip that was! I love that you could meet up with relatives and hear and feel your childhood and maternal roots again! That is something else!

I share many of those feelings about Edinburgh. It is a big city, but not like London or New York. We rent a cheap student flat and then are able to walk into downtown. I love the architecture, the history, and the walking paths! And the people are friendly and I LOVE the accents. Mostly, for us, this meets the immediate needs of our oldest children, which had been neglected for far too long while we lived in France. Our daughter has her first job, our (autistic) son is starting to get around on the buses alone, which is a big deal. And hopefully they'll be starting at a college in January. My husband still lives in our house in France, drives two hours each way to his job in Switzerland three days a week, then works at home, then takes EasyJet to see us twice a month. It's crazy.

The fitness class and the decision that come with it are good for me. I am almost 42 years old and have discovered a tendency about myself that I want to change. No more withdrawing from the stuff that stresses or causes anxiety. I'm gonna go kick it's butt! :) I have been accepted to a Master's program for next fall, now to figure out the funding...

Anyway, about the second week of the training at the gym, I was ready to count calories again. I've done it many times, lost weight many times after pregnancies. When my youngest, twins, were 4, I got to my goal weight. Then we had a scary, violent neighbor for 2 years and I gained it all back. It took a while for me to feel like I could try again. I'm exercising moderately now and doing 1400 calories a day, which could get me to my goal by July. And the calories are manageable, and the exercise feels good. I am enjoying the mild soreness because I know a stronger core will make a huge difference for me, reduce back pain. I also switched to decaf to improve my sleep. It's already better!

THANK YOU, Jersey, for the encouragement!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Meadowchick what type of work out are you doing right now? Are you taking any fitness classes, working with a trainer or did you already know what works best for you and are simply doing it on your own?
Chinese Proverb
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Jersey Girl wrote:Meadowchick what type of work out are you doing right now? Are you taking any fitness classes, working with a trainer or did you already know what works best for you and are simply doing it on your own?

At the moment I am doing 3 workout sessions per week at a gym in a group setting with a coach. We do aerobic and weights, and the sessions are designed to be encouraging and optimistic. There's a really good vibe there. I also sneak in jogging and core exercises at home when I can, and as I don't have a car, I walk frequently.
_ElianaBryson
_Emeritus

Post by _ElianaBryson »

Keep going buddy it is great to hear that you are making progress. Obesity is the reason for quite some diseases while happiness and exercise are your best options to prevent yourself from most of the diseases. Today's life has become so much easy that people do not have much physical activity left which is actually killing people. I personally skip afternoon meal eating just some dry fruits and also exercise daily although being a medicine professional at Windsor caribbean medical school with knowledge of how I can cure myself easily if I catch some disease. It is amazing to have such medicine knowledge but running on precautions is best. I still remember one of my doctor buddy, he died at 103 years of age and it is mostly because he cared for his health greatly.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Let's go back to where Cam was on the AT when I mentioned a movie that I had in my Amazon cart and he said that he'd read the book prior. I ended up getting the book and taking it on my plane trip out to the East Coast. I'd like to demonstrate why you do NOT read a book like this when you're alone on a plane.

37:59 Just start there and listen until you can't breathe. Then picture yourself on a plane traveling alone...while you try not to look like you're having some kind of attack. Feel free to slide it back for the build up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5thOzYIaQA

At this point, I had to close the book and stuff it away in my backpack. Didn't pull it out again until I returned stateside.

Can't imagine why. Thanks a lot, Cam.

:wink:
Chinese Proverb