The Score So Far (Health & Fitness)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related. No insults or personal attacks allowed. Rated G.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: The score so far (Health & Fitness)

Post by _Meadowchik »

So, the 4-week course is almost over. I have two more sessions. Today we did a hurrican-pyramid workout. The first session, I had to modify any sit-up exercises into knee slides, and do push-ups with my knees on the ground. Since then I've been able to do real situp "knee-grabs" and legit push-ups. Also, after the second week, I was no longer experienced back pain after being on my feet for long periods. No more muscle spasms in the evenings. I feel fantastic. Now I am contriving a plan for Christmas break, to find a workout buddy and probably to a tabata circuit of some sort with other activities.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Meadowchik wrote:So, the 4-week course is almost over. I have two more sessions. Today we did a hurrican-pyramid workout. The first session, I had to modify any sit-up exercises into knee slides, and do push-ups with my knees on the ground. Since then I've been able to do real situp "knee-grabs" and legit push-ups. Also, after the second week, I was no longer experienced back pain after being on my feet for long periods. No more muscle spasms in the evenings. I feel fantastic. Now I am contriving a plan for Christmas break, to find a workout buddy and probably to a tabata circuit of some sort with other activities.

It sounds like you are already seeing improvements! :biggrin: I swear, all it takes is to start waking up those muscles and they start asking for more!

Can you exlain what a tabata circuit is? I'm not familiar with that specific term.

by the way, the new dance class was approved by the board of the facility and will begin in January! I learned how to dance country lines years ago so the choreography will probably be somewhat familiar to me--don't care. I'd much rather dance for 1.5 hours than any other form of exercize. It's super close to home which is going to be great for winter driving!

I really, really, need to get moving again. I basically ditched most exercise after I started having AFIB. I need to get up and off it, and moving!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Jersey Girl wrote:It sounds like you are already seeing improvements! :biggrin: I swear, all it takes is to start waking up those muscles and they start asking for more!

Can you exlain what a tabata circuit is? I'm not familiar with that specific term.

by the way, the new dance class was approved by the board of the facility and will begin in January! I learned how to dance country lines years ago so the choreography will probably be somewhat familiar to me--don't care. I'd much rather dance for 1.5 hours than any other form of exercize. It's super close to home which is going to be great for winter driving!

I really, really, need to get moving again. I basically ditched most exercise after I started having AFIB. I need to get up and off it, and moving!

Yikes, AFIB sounds scary! I'm sorry! Glad you have a dance class to anticipate, I love that too.

Tabata is a short circuit of exercises, high intensity but that only lasts 4 minutes. I think I will do a series of them one after another in order to keep up my stamina over the break.

Beginner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNoZfmWfNc

Several workouts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ion_420487

Timer

http://tabatatimer.com/
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Meadowchik wrote:Yikes, AFIB sounds scary! I'm sorry! Glad you have a dance class to anticipate, I love that too.

Tabata is a short circuit of exercises, high intensity but that only lasts 4 minutes. I think I will do a series of them one after another in order to keep up my stamina over the break.

Beginner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVNoZfmWfNc

Several workouts

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ion_420487

Timer

http://tabatatimer.com/

Yep. AFIB is the scourge of my life nowadays. It won't kill me. It only tortures me. I've written scads of comments about it on this thread. Probably boring to the masses but writing helps me.

Thanks for the videos. I'll check that out! I'm always willing to learn more and learn something new!

I really look forward to dance class. I am toying with the idea of joining a dance studio here. They have adult classes and I've seen their recital performance--very nicely done and I know I can already do the steps.

What I do when I'm not being a complete paranoiac about AFIB are treadmills, hand weights, walk my long driveway that I clocked using the car, swim, and yoga. I was running on my driveway when I ended up with this rhythm disorder. I also do physically demanding work on our property.

I dance because I love it and always have.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Okay party people here's the story. I don't think I wrote about this prior. In any case, I'm on meds for the dreaded AFIB. In the past 9 months to a year, I had increasing fatigue and anxiety side effects. Really bad situation.

After some serious reflection and investigative help from a family member with medical background/education with regard to half life details, I saw a correlation between side effects and the timing of the meds--how the side effects trailed off later in the evening.

So I monkeyed around with timing and guess what? I'm good! :mrgreen:

Sleeping like a baby, normal energy and positively NO anxiety whatsoever. I can't say for sure if this is evidence based or psychosomatic. I can't think of a good reason to care which it is so long as it works.

So...this is the time of year when I don't necessarily set resolutions but I do like to change things up. This year the change up is going to be me going right back into my old exercise routines and practices like I never left them to start with. Innovative right? :wink:

121 pounds and holding. No one knows why!
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

"AFIB" = "Arterial Fibrillation in Buttocks?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:"AFIB" = "Arterial Fibrillation in Buttocks?"

I've already told you what the heart rhythm disorder is called the last time you did this.

viewtopic.php?p=1075818#p1075818

Did you want to say something encouraging like "Go Jersey!" or are you just here to make a funny, Shades?

:cool:

Because it's not funny and I wouldn't do that to you.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:I've already told you what the heart rhythm disorder is called the last time you did this.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 8#p1075818

Ahh, so you did. My apologies.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

delete
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So...tomorrow is my first dance class. One of the meds I take slows my heart rate so I'm going to have to be a little science experiment to see if I can keep up. I've already tried Electric Slide (which is the first song and I already know the steps) and I think I can do it without getting dizzy.

I think I can I think I can I think I can I think I can.

Will report back!
:eek:
Chinese Proverb