I got my plans I don't know about you (Stones concert!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: I got my plans I don't know about you

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I'd like to see Perfume be the opening act for the Stones. A weird cultural mashup, like "Harry Potter and the 50 Shades of Grey".
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:Oh, my friend...

Gunnar wrote:I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music. Perhaps I have just not heard their best. I would pay good money (and have paid good money) to hear groups like Pentatonix (I absolutely love their music and arrangements), Chanticleer, any good symphony orchestra or jazz group (among which one of my favorites is Cornet Chop Suey, based in St. Louis). Check any of them out on You Tube! You might particularly like Cornet Chop Suey's tribute to Louis Armstrong.

I also adore singers like Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho, Jayna Brown, Laura Bretan, and most especially the Norwegian soprano, Sissel, widely renowned as having the most beautiful and versatile singing voice and repertoire on earth. I would likely be willing to give a month's salary for the chance to hear Sissel sing in person and talk to her in her native Norwegian!

Your taste in music is so respectable one could hardly argue with it and since I didn't intend for this thread to construct a debate between genres, I have something more to share.

Remember years ago when you thought I was a Fundie (still think that?) looking to condemn Mormonism and you (among others) helped translate Mormonism into Mainstream Christian-speak for me so that I could understand?

Let me return the favor. Please allow me to introduce you to the Stones in a language that might be more to your liking and that you can perhaps appreciate.

Consider it a gift. I love you friend. :-)

The Stones for Guys Who Don't Know Where the Groove Is or How To Find It

Wow! What a gift! Thank you so much, you have made me a convert! I wish I could join you at that concert now!

Double wow on this one! I love the Veridian String Quartet, which is part of the Veridian Orchestra. They are a local group that has often accompanied the Yuba Sutter Master Chorale group in which I sing as part of the tenor section. They are great in themselves!

You have opened my eyes and ears to the true genius of the Rolling Stones. I no longer think the Beetles were better than them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sincerely, your dear friend,

Gunnar.

p.s. Did you get the PM I just sent you?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
You have opened my eyes and ears to the true genius of the Rolling Stones. I no longer think the Beetles were better than them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm happy that you liked the playlist! Let me indoctrinate you a little further in the direction of the groove. This is one of my favorites. I'll make a believer out of you yet! Milk before meat, I say! :lol:

Start here:

Beast of Burden (Cavern Sounds Orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmqL-V6Q8M

Then go here: (Don't worry we're getting to the real thing)

Beast of Burden (Instrumental by the Rock Heroes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1_E99hFZg

Now here's the real groove:

Beast of Burden (The Rolling Stones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

Rolling Stones Truth Claims

Rule #1. Keith Richards is the greatest riff man in Rock n' Roll.

Rule #2. Keith Richards creates the groove.

Rule #3. Keith Richards IS the groove.

:cool:

Sincerely, your dear friend,

Gunnar.

You really are my dear friend. If it weren't for those old cross fire hurricanes we all went through, I would have never had the blessing of knowing you, Gunnar.

p.s. Did you get the PM I just sent you?

Yes, I did read it last night. I replied first thing when I got on the board just prior to making this reply here. Don't worry if you see me putting up a series of posts to which I apply little thought. I'm just getting them out of my system before I clear the decks of the day and quiet my brain for a friend. :-)

FYI: Every single post I've made on this thread contains Stones lyrics, including this one. Kind of a little brain teaser/nod to the Stones that I embedded into my posts. I bet MeDot or Markk could pull them out with very little effort! ;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Gunnar wrote:I'm glad that you get pleasure from hearing The Rolling Stones, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy their concert, but I don't share your high opinion of them. I have heard rock and roll music that I really enjoyed, but it is not really my thing. As far as rock and roll is concerned, I thought the Beetles were better, and some of their music was pure genius. I am particularly impressed with their Eleanor Rigby, especially versions of that tune arranged for a concert orchestra. I, personally, would not pay good money to hear a Rolling Stones concert, based on what little I have heard of their music.

Keep in mind that the producer of the most of the Beatles' recordings was George Martin, who had an extensive classical music background. It's instructive to listen to the Beatles produced by Phil Spector on Let It Be. For comparison, listen to the 'Let it Be - Naked' where you hear the music with all of Spector's syrupy orchestration. Or Free As a Bird, produced by ELO's Jeff Lynn (the music video is like an Easter Egg Hunt for Beatle fans).

The Beatles could be a lot more raw and unpolished. My favorite takes of I am the Walrus are the ones without all of the orchestration. Having said that, through 1967 the Stones were produced by Andrew Loog Oldham, a man with no prior experience as a record producer. If you ask me it shows. The early Stones recordings were poorly produced and engineered. The Beatles recordings were generally more polished, but part of that was by design by both groups.

George Harrison was a far more lyrical lead guitarist than Keith Richards. Keith's style is more primitive at first glance, but Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry are the only other guys who wrote as many great hooks as Keith Richards. After Start Me Up came out, it was pretty much the official song of NFL Kickoffs for a number of years.

For many years, my go-to guitar solo was Eric Clapton's Crossroads. More recently it's Keith Richard at the end of Bitch. Much less flashy than Clapton, but the repetition serves the purpose of driving the song.

But ultimately this is all subjective. The roots of rock are in blues, music that casts a spell, music that is hypnotic. Hypnotic effect is obtained by repetition, and if you are looking for virtuosity, that repetition can sound like a lack of it. I'm having a hard time describing this, but the closest thing I can come up with is that you listen to blues with a different part of your brain, a different part of musical consciousness.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:But ultimately this is all subjective. The roots of rock are in blues, music that casts a spell, music that is hypnotic. Hypnotic effect is obtained by repetition, and if you are looking for virtuosity, that repetition can sound like a lack of it. I'm having a hard time describing this, but the closest thing I can come up with is that you listen to blues with a different part of your brain, a different part of musical consciousness.

Bless you! Yes!

Can you address how Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards exchange guitar positions in the same song and how/why Keith uses a 5 string guitar? I'm not musically articulate enough to do so.
Chinese Proverb
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

wonderful version of satisfaction by Mick on SNL
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... oke/n13522

Precision of both the notes and the rhythm, the alteration reveals the skeleton of classic rolling stones.

funny
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

How old is he now???

Mick Jagger (age 75) – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jagger
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

gunner, This is a bridge , blues, you might like. Or something closer to your taste that is closer to the blues that the Stones were inspired by. (closer not the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOB8fmYGBU
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:Sympathy for the Devil
The Rolling Stones

Songwriters: JANN ARDEN RICHARDS,ROBERT FOSTER

It's funny that you included these lyrics. As I started reading the thread and saw where you were going with it, this and Gimmie Shelter were the two songs that I thought of lyrically as representing what made the Stones such a treat to really listen to when I discovered them for myself as a teen in the early 90's.

But while I've heard of the Glimmer Twins, I've never seen the above as pseudonyms for Richards and Jagger but was pretty darn sure they wrote Sympathy. Could you enlighten me on this?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honor as far as I know that is not a representation of the Glimmer Twins, it's a misattribution from the website I took it from which was the first search hit I got to the lyrics.
Chinese Proverb