Apologists Harassing Critics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Servant
_Emeritus

Re: Apologists Harassing Critics

Post by _Servant »

Kishkumen wrote:
EAllusion wrote:One thing I'm sensitive to, having seen what gets reported, is that people are overwhelmingly more likely to report issues with "apologist" posts than those of posts critical of the Mormons/Mormonism. I can think of two critics in particular who are serial offenders who almost never get reported and I only catch if I happen to be reading a thread they are in. People clearly are willing to overlook the faults of people on their "side" as compared to people whose viewpoint they disagree with.

As a result, I am cautious not to confuse what's reported as a representative sample of posters' patterns. Otherwise, this is just a back-door way to bias moderation.

Frankly, I hardly ever report anyone's posts, and if someone bugs me, I just put that person on ignore until I am able to deal with that person again. I can see that on this board apologists are much more likely to be reported than critics are, so I think we need to do a better job of policing ourselves and others on our "team" so the reporting is not so lopsided.

Well, that's a real shock. I hadn't noticed that at all about you.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Yes, believe it. I haven’t reported you once.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Kishkumen wrote:I can see that on this board apologists are much more likely to be reported than critics are, so I think we need to do a better job of policing ourselves and others on our "team" so the reporting is not so lopsided.

Interesting turn of phrase.

I think my team is very small. Makes for not much of a game, right? :wink:

Especially if I'm a bench-warmer. :smile:

Regards,
MG
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Well MG, I can tell you truthfully I have never reported you. Never. In fact, I've never used the report button once. Release your inner kraken I say!

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:I can see that on this board apologists are much more likely to be reported than critics are, so I think we need to do a better job of policing ourselves and others on our "team" so the reporting is not so lopsided.

Interesting turn of phrase.

I think my team is very small. Makes for not much of a game, right? :wink:

Especially if I'm a bench-warmer. :smile:

Regards,
MG

MG,

Just out of curiosity, who is your "team?"
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Just out of curiosity, who is your "team?"

Other active members of the church in good standing.

Regards,
MG
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

mentalgymnast wrote:Other active members of the church in good standing.

Regards,
MG

Interesting. Certainly from your past behavior here and the way in which you treated other posters, I wouldn't consider you a practicing Christian by any stretch of the imagination or even a good person.

Do you feel that because you consider yourself active and in good standing that you are a good person?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Of course my reference to a team in scare quotes was going to be taken very literally by someone. There must be a quasi-scientific law (soon to be taken as my assumption that there is an actual scientific law) whereby someone’s meaning will inevitably misconstrued given a certain number of readers and a certain length of time.

m=rt
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
mentalgymnast wrote:Other active members of the church in good standing.

Regards,
MG

Interesting. Certainly from your past behavior here and the way in which you treated other posters, I wouldn't consider you a practicing Christian by any stretch of the imagination or even a good person.

If by my words I've come across as not being a practicing Christian to you and others...that's something I need to repent of. Truth is, I am a practicing Christian. I do have faith in and a hope in the mission/purpose of Jesus Christ and His atonement for mankind. I suppose your comment/accusation can and should act as an 'alter call' for those of us that think we're practicing/living the gospel of Jesus Christ but may come across to others as either being hypocrites or inauthentic.

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Do you feel that because you consider yourself active and in good standing that you are a good person?

I think that as I self reference myself as 'good' that this is a composite of many things. Church activity and gospel living being one of those things.

Church activity and obedience to gospel principles and practice does help in regards to staying away from and non-participation in some of the hedonistic ways of the world.

Regards,
MG
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

"Be kind;" two words to live by. Unfortunately, there is a lot of anger and hurt involved in losing one's world view or defending a central part of one's identity. Moderation on a forum like this is bound to be difficult. Self-moderation is extremely difficult for me at times.

I've only ever put one commenter here on ignore, and it is mainly because this person has repeatedly shown that they aren't interested in an exchange of ideas. When a thoughtful question is posed to them, they deflect and refuse to answer. They also had a habit of derailing practically every thread they entered, making it all about their childish thoughts and always pointing at themselves.

I just got tired of putting a lot of effort into interacting thoughtfully with this person, spending lots of time on thoughtful responses, and getting childish deflections in return.

Putting this poster on ignore improved my experience on the forum dramatically, no moderator's intervention required.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/