The "Witnesses" Film and Church Control of Mopologetics.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: The "Witnesses" Film and Church Control of Mopologetics.

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's the perfect match, one con artist emulating another. Peterson is quite worthy of such a heinous award, and he thinks its honorable! Even conmen get conned.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Gadianton wrote:Thanks for the fascinating report. I'm glad they were able to comp you a free meal given all the editorial work you've done for them in the past.

You’re very kind. Dr. Peterson said that the Interpreter Foundation has three main purposes: to make the Witnesses film, to fund Royal Skousen, and to pump out weekly articles. I’m grateful to have been a part of the great work.

Incidentally, did you hear that FairMormon honored Dr. Peterson last week with the 2019 FairMormon Lifetime Achievement Award?

https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2019/08 ... YXkxVCg77A

Please notice that the presenter compared Dr. Peterson to Joseph Smith. I am not making this up.

Yes, and unless I'm mistaken, the only other person ever to have received that award was Dr. Midgley. So, in essence, the two of them contrived to create this Mopologetic organization--i.e., FAIR--and now, some fifteen years later or so, DCP is up at the podium appearing to choke back tears that this organization has "gifted" him with this award. The thing that bothers me most is that he failed to say, "You like me! You really like me!"
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

There have been some updates concerning this forthcoming movie. I'm starting to feel concerned. For one thing, the production values look pretty awful. The costumes do not look authentic (everyone is totally clean-scrubbed, with nary a hair out of place): it all looks fake. I guess they are going for an idealized version of the Witnesses story? Like, this is the "whitewashed" Church version, rather than something that would be more grounded in reality and convincing? I mean, I think we have to acknowledge that the Mopologists *want* the movie to be "convincing," but I am growing ever more confused as to what that means for them. Is everything all fine and dandy so long as the Brethren view this as sufficient bootlicking, or a reasonably well-crafted piece of propaganda? Or, is it meant to keep people from exiting the Church? Or, is it merely a big ego trip for the Executive Producer? Hey: if you can't hack it as a scholar or a writer, then why not try your hand at producing films? Is that the idea?

In any event, I am still interested in seeing the final product.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Doctor Scratch wrote:There have been some updates concerning this forthcoming movie. I'm starting to feel concerned. For one thing, the production values look pretty awful. The costumes do not look authentic (everyone is totally clean-scrubbed, with nary a hair out of place): it all looks fake. I guess they are going for an idealized version of the Witnesses story? Like, this is the "whitewashed" Church version, rather than something that would be more grounded in reality and convincing? I mean, I think we have to acknowledge that the Mopologists *want* the movie to be "convincing," but I am growing ever more confused as to what that means for them. Is everything all fine and dandy so long as the Brethren view this as sufficient bootlicking, or a reasonably well-crafted piece of propaganda? Or, is it meant to keep people from exiting the Church? Or, is it merely a big ego trip for the Executive Producer? Hey: if you can't hack it as a scholar or a writer, then why not try your hand at producing films? Is that the idea?

I'm interested in seeing the final financial reckoning...Does anyone know the first time an actual "$ total needed" amount was mentioned, and what the amount was?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

Tom wrote:At the end of his remarks, Mr. Richins picks up the plates again and walks off to some laughter. (He never uncovers the plates.) I am not making this up.

And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Richins has shown unto us, for we have seen him heft them, and know of a surety that the said Richins has got the fake plates of which we have spoken.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:There have been some updates concerning this forthcoming movie. I'm starting to feel concerned. For one thing, the production values look pretty awful. The costumes do not look authentic (everyone is totally clean-scrubbed, with nary a hair out of place): it all looks fake. I guess they are going for an idealized version of the Witnesses story? Like, this is the "whitewashed" Church version, rather than something that would be more grounded in reality and convincing? I mean, I think we have to acknowledge that the Mopologists *want* the movie to be "convincing," but I am growing ever more confused as to what that means for them. Is everything all fine and dandy so long as the Brethren view this as sufficient bootlicking, or a reasonably well-crafted piece of propaganda? Or, is it meant to keep people from exiting the Church? Or, is it merely a big ego trip for the Executive Producer? Hey: if you can't hack it as a scholar or a writer, then why not try your hand at producing films? Is that the idea?

Live From Golgotha, my friends. Gore Vidal had it right all along. If you are going to engage in Travels in Hyperreality, you’d better hire a Mormon director.

I have my own idea for a Witnesses movie, one that would be far more true to history and much more entertaining to boot!

Imagine-

1. The Smith family portrayed as treasure diggers a la demon hunters in the 2005 Gilliam film, Brothers Grimm

2. Smith espying Harris walking on a shady path, stopping to address a deer as his Lord and Savior, even Jesus Christ

3. Witnesses avowing fervently that they did see the plates “with the eyes of their spirits”

4. Moroni appearing as a wizened old kook, dressed like a 19th century peddler and carrying the “plates” in a sack on his back, offering to show them for ‘two bits a gander’

5. Early Mormon meetings with white people jumping around, hooping and hollering, filled with ”Lamanite” spirits and speaking in their “Lamanite” tongues

6. Joseph Smith discovering the bones of Zelph, the white Lamanite

My friends, if only we could see such a film. My guess is that none of these historically attested elements will find their way into this film. More’s the pity.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Live From Golgotha, my friends. Gore Vidal had it right all along. If you are going to engage in Travels in Hyperreality, you’d better hire a Mormon director.

I have my own idea for a Witnesses movie, one that would be far more true to history and much more entertaining to boot!

Imagine-

1. The Smith family portrayed as treasure diggers a la demon hunters in the 2005 Gilliam film, Brothers Grimm

2. Smith espying Harris walking on a shady path, stopping to address a deer as his Lord and Savior, even Jesus Christ

3. Witnesses avowing fervently that they did see the plates “with the eyes of their spirits”

4. Moroni appearing as a wizened old kook, dressed like a 19th century peddler and carrying the “plates” in a sack on his back, offering to show them for ‘two bits a gander’

5. Early Mormon meetings with white people jumping around, hooping and hollering, filled with ”Lamanite” spirits and speaking in their “Lamanite” tongues

6. Joseph Smith discovering the bones of Zelph, the white Lamanite

My friends, if only we could see such a film. My guess is that one of these historically attested elements will find their way into this film. More’s the pity.

I can catch a mental image of how this could go. I'll bet Bobberson could write a killer screenplay for it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:I can catch a mental image of how this could go. I'll bet Bobberson could write a killer screenplay for it.

Indeed, Dean Robbers. And I expect there would be plenty of allusions to Elmer Gantry therein.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist