My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: My Take on the UFO Craze Hitting Us Now

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm
I've been paying as much attention to this UFO stuff as I have the Wuhan lab stuff.

I'll be interested when there's something concrete in which to take interest. I generally find these conversations as fun as conversations about when Jesus is coming back or the divinity of Joe Smith.

I think the odds are in favor of us not being alone in the universe, but the odds are outrageous folks from any two worlds with life will meet each other. From a tech standpoint, humanity is way more likely to blow itself up than to harness light speed travel.
Yeah, as interesting and exciting as it would be if there really were extra-terrestrial aliens visiting and communicating with us, I find it hard to avoid the conclusion that by far the most improbable explanation for UFOs is visitation by aliens capable of superluminal travel.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 pm
I've been paying as much attention to this UFO stuff as I have the Wuhan lab stuff.

I'll be interested when there's something concrete in which to take interest. I generally find these conversations as fun as conversations about when Jesus is coming back or the divinity of Joe Smith.

I think the odds are in favor of us not being alone in the universe, but the odds are outrageous folks from any two worlds with life will meet each other. From a tech standpoint, humanity is way more likely to blow itself up than to harness light speed travel.
Yeah, as interesting and exciting as it would be if there really were extra-terrestrial aliens visiting and communicating with us, I find it hard to avoid the conclusion that by far the most improbable explanation for UFOs is visitation by aliens capable of superluminal travel.
That assumes they only started traveling a little while ago however doesn't it? As improbable as it seems, they could have been traveling and planet hopping for generation upon generation and have reached us now. Just thinkin out loud is all. If they have been traveling for millions of years, there is nothing saying they had to do so superluminously...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:21 am

Someone in the comments section of my vid gave them... hope that helps.
Here is the Rogan link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

And Google 60 Minutes, I do believe the full version is there. The link in the comments on my vid is only a clip also, darn it.
You're the only good one around here Philo Sofee. Thank you!
Now Jersey dear.......
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm

You're the only good one around here Philo Sofee. Thank you!
Now Jersey dear.......
Yes, Sofee darling?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 am

Now Jersey dear.......
Yes, Sofee darling?
Shall we go dance among the stars in a UFO to-geth-uh?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:25 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 am

Yes, Sofee darling?
Shall we go dance among the stars in a UFO to-geth-uh?
But of course! My cha cha belongs to you, Sofee. :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 am
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:59 pm

That assumes they only started traveling a little while ago however doesn't it? As improbable as it seems, they could have been traveling and planet hopping for generation upon generation and have reached us now. Just thinkin out loud is all. If they have been traveling for millions of years, there is nothing saying they had to do so superluminously...
Yes, but that it is just barely more probable that some multi-generational vessels might have taken centuries to get here, carrying aliens or essentially immortal AI robots doesn't diminish the strength of my point about, specifically, "aliens capable of superluminal travel," unless there really is some, as yet undiscovered by us, practical means of circumventing the lightspeed limitation.

If extra-solar aliens arrived here in multi-generational ships, it seems probable to me that they must have been huge vessels containing large numbers of them with the intent of colonization and taking over whatever habitable worlds they managed to find (perhaps out of necessity because their own sun was about to die). That would almost certainly bode ill for us, unless their life sustaining resource requirements differ significantly enough from ours that they don't necessarily have to exterminate us from our own planet to establish themselves in our solar system. On the other hand, though, if they managed to get here via subluminal, generational colony ships using technology not drastically more advanced than ours, they might not be so formidable that we would have no chance against them, especially given our almost certainly greater numbers. In that case (assuming they are really here) their main reason for being so secretive about their existence may only be because they know that they are not so far superior to us that we can be of no danger to them, even if we know of their existence.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

If aliens are looking for a planet to colonize, it would be more practical to find a planet that was uninhabited, closer to home, and with the right environmental conditions for their species.

Earth meeting those criteria? Again, the odds are not good (even if you take the fact that Earth is inhabited off the table).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Alien sightings, allegedly, then space force budget requests? Sounds pretty good to me.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

for what it's worth. 9:07 minutes of Neil deGrasse commentary.

Neil deGrasse Tyson Weighs in on Pentagon UFO Report and Alien Life | The View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siZPaZ9hcEA

Slava Ukraini!