Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry

Post by _DarkHelmet »

EAllusion wrote:
subgenius wrote:Read an interesting opinion on how things could play out with "impeachment".
1. Dem house impeaches and it goes to Senate for trial.
2. Senate trial legally allows for Trump lawyers to subpoena people.
3. Who do you think will get subpoenas? (spoiler alert: Comey, Clinton, Holder, Lynch, Brazille, etc.)
4. How do you think that testimony will go? What will be the questions and answers....
5. Senate trial airs everything out in open.
6. Repub Senate and a few Democrats vote to NOT convict Trump.

So yeah...keep on keeping on.

But what if reality isn't a bunch of insane lies that you believe? What then?

How big is the overlap between the QAnon conspiracy nuts and 9/11 truthers? What do those who believe both conspiracies think of Rudy Guiliani? He's a good guy in the QAnon conspiracy but a bad guy in the 9/11 conspiracy.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Read an interesting opinion on how things could play out with "impeachment".
1. Dem house impeaches and it goes to Senate for trial.
2. Senate trial legally allows for Trump lawyers to subpoena people.
3. Who do you think will get subpoenas? (spoiler alert: Comey, Clinton, Holder, Lynch, Brazille, etc.)
4. How do you think that testimony will go? What will be the questions and answers....
5. Senate trial airs everything out in open.
6. Repub Senate and a few Dems vote to NOT convict Trump.

So yeah...keep on keeping on.

I guess that something about this makes sense to you, owing to your belief in things like the Clinton Kill List, but you wouldn’t be able to explain why all of those folks would receive subpoenas and what relevant questions could be asked. I mean, you could try to explain, but you won’t dare, because you know that you can’t. So does everyone else.

However, should that day come, then you can just sit back with the rest of us and watch this nonsensical Republican clusterfuck idea of yours unfold.

I think that the odds are better that the Senate will just refuse to hold Trump accountable for anything. Taking a hard pass on a serious inquiry would accomplish a more satisfactory outcome than attempting your proposed embarrassing scenario that would more assuredly expose them as desperate partisan fools.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Donald Trump is calling for Adam Schiff to be arrested for treason today. This is after not so subtly agitating for violence if he is removed from office yesterday.

I'd just like to point out that these in of themselves are impeachable offenses.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

EAllusion wrote:Donald Trump is calling for Adam Schiff to be arrested for treason today. This is after not so subtly agitating for violence if he is removed from office yesterday.

I'd just like to point out that these in of themselves are impeachable offenses.

He also thinks he has a right to meet his accuser face to face. Like most things, he doesn't understand what that right means. The right to confront your accuser does not happen on Trump's terms. He has a right to cross examine them in a court of law. Could you imagine if accused criminals were allowed to confront witnesses "face to face" before a trial? Does TRump really think the constitution gives him the right to intimidate witnesses?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

It's pretty amusing the way Fox News and the GOP are trying to blame the media for people being anit-Trump. Not only do they refuse to give people credit for being able to determine just how much of an asshole he is simply by listening to what he has to say, but they are also tacitly admitting that trying to prop him up is their job! (And of course, it's not easy).

I'm just amazed that GOP voters are this damned daft. It's remarkable that they can't see through all this. They're too invested in their idiotic Trump decision to turn back now.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I have to say - the best possible outcome for the country of this is a fatal Trump heart attack or stroke. Trump voters are never going to accept that he's a crook, so it would be best for everyone if the asshole just keeled over. That would take most of the juice out of any civil war ideas for which the damned lunatics in this country are preparing.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

EAllusion wrote:Donald Trump is calling for Adam Schiff to be arrested for treason today. This is after not so subtly agitating for violence if he is removed from office yesterday.

We need to invoke the 25th Amendment if we care about this country. This is absolutely bonkers.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:I have to say - the best possible outcome for the country of this is a fatal Trump heart attack or stroke. Trump voters are never going to accept that he's a crook, so it would be best for everyone if the asshole just keeled over. That would take most of the juice out of any civil war ideas for which the ____ lunatics in this country are preparing.

If this happened, the conspiracy nuts would go crazy. These people are groomed to be hyper-paranoid of the deep state.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

DarkHelmet wrote:
Perfume on my Mind wrote:I have to say - the best possible outcome for the country of this is a fatal Trump heart attack or stroke. Trump voters are never going to accept that he's a crook, so it would be best for everyone if the asshole just keeled over. That would take most of the juice out of any civil war ideas for which the ____ lunatics in this country are preparing.

If this happened, the conspiracy nuts would go crazy. These people are groomed to be hyper-paranoid of the deep state.

Actually, I was thinking that exact thing, so let me amend my statement.

The best possible outcome for the country is a fatal Trump heart attack or stroke while giving a speech on TV.

Plus, he'd get what he always wanted: tremendous ratings. I know I'd watch that.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Could Trump's lawyers use the "best of my ability" clause in the oath of office as a valid defense? Basically, he doesn't have the ability to not break the law.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States

This was brought up as a joke on reddit, but in this strange world we are living in, it might just work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... dium=web2x