The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

Post by _Kishkumen »

Just in time for Christmas, Greg Kofford Books has just released Don Bradley’s long awaited and greatly anticipated book about the lost first (but incomplete) version of the Book of Mormon. I am thrilled to see this happen, as it is a project Don has poured himself into for a very long time. The value of the research and historical sleuthing here should not be underestimated. Congratulations to Don, longtime friend of our MDB community, and personal friend to a number of us, including Dr. Shades!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

Post by _Dr. Shades »

The most amazing thing, in my mind, is that there's enough material on this subject to put into a book.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Dr. Shades wrote:The most amazing thing, in my mind, is that there's enough material on this subject to put into a book.

Religious subjects can be expanded infinity it seems, I saw a 12 volume set of books the other day just on the Book of Job.

Here is an Amazon link to to Don's book.

The Lost 116 Pages: Reconstructing the Book of Mormon's Missing Stories

I hope we can get Philo or Kiskumen to review it. I am interested in it but I would like to hear more about it before spending the money on it. There are so many other books out or coming out that I want, that I have to pick and choose.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:The most amazing thing, in my mind, is that there's enough material on this subject to put into a book.

The book opens with a discussion of the recovery of the plates, a description of the handling and appearance of the other relics, an account of the so-called Anthon Transcript, and many other interesting things. I assure you that you will encounter an entirely unique and meticulously researched understanding of the earliest phases of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.

Now, I will also point out up front that on the whole the book is more congenial to a believer’s point of view.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Does the book give any insight as to how Joseph Smith made up the Book of Mormon we have today?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Exiled wrote:Does the book give any insight as to how Joseph Smith made up the Book of Mormon we have today?

I would say it most definitely does, but it does not lay that out as its specific purpose.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Don emailed me the other day about some questions I had and said this about the book (I don't think he'll mind if I share it):

It's framed within a context of Latter-day Saint belief, but my intent is not to get bogged down in historicity debates but to reconstruct what that missing narrative was. My hope is that non-Latter-day Saint readers will see beneath the surface of the presentation (e.g., Joseph Smith "translating," and such) and see the substance beneath.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Don emailed me the other day about some questions I had and said this about the book (I don't think he'll mind if I share it):

It's framed within a context of Latter-day Saint belief, but my intent is not to get bogged down in historicity debates but to reconstruct what that missing narrative was. My hope is that non-Latter-day Saint readers will see beneath the surface of the presentation (e.g., Joseph Smith "translating," and such) and see the substance beneath.

Thanks for sharing that, grindael!
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Sounds interesting and sounds like Mr. Bradley walked the correct line for book sales if he can generate interest among believers and non-believers. MD&D is also a buzz over this.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Is this the book he was working on when we were all back on Z and prior to MDB coming online?????
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb