Feeding the Fortune 500

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Feeding the Fortune 500

Post by _Kishkumen »

Our old friend DCP is in top form when he criticizes Church critics for complaining about the corporate nature of the LDS Church:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2019/11/lds-inc-part-one.html

One of the more flat-footed aspects of his critique is his comparison of Church critics’ negative views of the multi-billion-dollar upscale shopping destination City Creek with Jesus feeding the 5000.

Think about that. DCP essentially takes critics to task for not seeing how LDS investment in upscale shopping in downtown SLC is just like Jesus feeding the 5000!

Seriously?

At the very least this sounds a very sour note, but it really misses the point of the message of the Gospels. One of the chief problems of Roman imperialism was that it worked extremely well for a tiny elite and ignored the needs of a vast underclass. Jesus is not depicted building a macellum (market) in Jerusalem. He aims his feeding and instruction at those on the wrong end of Roman imperialism in its cooperation with Jewish elites.

DCP might have focused on LDS welfare, education, etc. It is bizarre, however, to try to liken feeding 5000 hungry people to City Creek Mall.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Feeding the Fortune 500

Post by _Gadianton »

SeN wrote:Presumably, Semitic peasants catching fish for a living are spiritual in a way that middle class gringos selling shoes or iPhones can never hope to be.

Let me see if I can explain this. When "Semitic peasants" fail to catch fish, the peasants starve, and it deserves a mention that fishing is a perilous occupation. Those facing uncertainty about their very existence tend to spirituality; according to the scriptures, at least, "therefore they were poor as to things of the world; and also they were poor in heart." The Proprietor must understand this at some level, given his many recent posts about gratitude for "the air we breath". That the proprietor would stand upon the arch of the City Creek complex as the roof retracts to reveal the sky, and thank God for his many riches, illustrates a human tendency opposite of humility, at least according to the Book of Mormon.

Suppose a container should fall from the Emma Maersk and plunge into the sea to be lost forever. The Lord could take a single i-Phone and turn it into 5000 i-Phones. No doubt we would hear about the Lord's providence from the blessed Mormon youth in sacrament meeting. But the tragedy would be with those youth trapped working 20 hours days in a sweatshop deep within China, building i-Phones for cheap so that the people of City Creek can enjoy their opulence. We might consider instead, should the Lord intervene, that he give food to those trapped in slave labor at the expense of the luxuries traded at places like City Creek.

That at least, would be more in line with what the scriptures teach. Granted, Jesus didn't know much about finance, as the proprietor indicates.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
SeN wrote:Presumably, Semitic peasants catching fish for a living are spiritual in a way that middle class gringos selling shoes or iPhones can never hope to be.

Let me see if I can explain this. When "Semitic peasants" fail to catch fish, the peasants starve, and it deserves a mention that fishing is a perilous occupation. Those facing uncertainty about their very existence tend to spirituality; according to the scriptures, at least, "therefore they were poor as to things of the world; and also they were poor in heart." The Proprietor must understand this at some level, given his many recent posts about gratitude for "the air we breath". That the proprietor would stand upon the arch of the City Creek complex as the roof retracts to reveal the sky, and thank God for his many riches, illustrates a human tendency opposite of humility, at least according to the Book of Mormon.

Suppose a container should fall from the Emma Maersk and plunge into the sea to be lost forever. The Lord could take a single i-Phone and turn it into 5000 i-Phones. No doubt we would hear about the Lord's providence from the blessed Mormon youth in sacrament meeting. But the tragedy would be with those youth trapped working 20 hours days in a sweatshop deep within China, building i-Phones for cheap so that the people of City Creek can enjoy their opulence. We might consider instead, should the Lord intervene, that he give food to those trapped in slave labor at the expense of the luxuries traded at places like City Creek.

That at least, would be more in line with what the scriptures teach. Granted, Jesus didn't know much about finance, as the proprietor indicates.

Excellent point, Dean Robbers. The peasants and even those a little above them lived a precarious existence. They looked to God for survival and even a hope for justice within a negligent and cruel imperial system. The victims of modern empires such as the US empire or the growing Chinese empire are those we would expect the New Testament’s Jesus to be most concerned about, not Gucci and L.L. Bean.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

All of these questions will be solved in part II. Dr. P, I believe, will show that the Jesus of today isn't ashamed of wearing clothes he purchased at LL Bean and enjoying the finer things Gucci offers. In fact, there are great deals right now at the gateway .... hurry in while it lasts! http://shopthegateway.com/black-friday-deals-hours/
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Smokey you are waste of bandwidth.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Exiled wrote:All of these questions will be solved in part II. Dr. P, I believe, will show that the Jesus of today isn't ashamed of wearing clothes he purchased at LL Bean and enjoying the finer things Gucci offers. In fact, there are great deals right now at the gateway .... hurry in while it lasts! http://shopthegateway.com/black-friday-deals-hours/

I am pretty stoked to see how he pulls this off! Thanks to DCP for providing the clickbait!
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Tator wrote:Smokey you are waste of bandwidth.

I find his last post very aggravating and childish.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Thanks Exiled. I'm presently awaiting cyber Monday though.

(P.S. I've updated my "foe" list to include a fourth name, and I can see the board clearly once more)
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Gadianton wrote:Thanks Exiled. I'm presently awaiting cyber Monday though.

(P.S. I've updated my "foe" list to include a fourth name, and I can see the board clearly once more)

Great suggestion! I just did the same and it works magnificently.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Smokey
_Emeritus

Post by _Smokey »

candygal wrote:
Tator wrote:Smokey you are waste of bandwidth.

I find his last post very aggravating and childish.

The funny thing is that post was just quoting a post! I admit it is aggravating and childish and am hoping Dr. Shades will remove it and censure the poster who made it!
Dr Shades is Jason Gallentine