Ghost Committee Theology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Kishkumen »

The Ghost Committee Theory is solidifying thanks to the continuing work of Royal Skousen on EModEnglish in the Book of Mormon. I, for one, am thrilled by these developments, as someone who has long been interested in Christian doctrines regarding those who have passed away before us. One wonders what it is that they do. In Orthodox and Catholic Christianities, the saints join us in prayer, for example.

“Praise to the Man” paints a picture of the deified Joseph Smith “mingling with gods” to “plan for his brethren.” In August of 1877, Wilford Woodruff had two dream/visions in which the Founding Fathers were arguing they should receive their endowments now that a temple was available for proxy ordinances. We do not often think of what all the spirits of the dead may be doing as they wait for their resurrection. Sometimes they seem to visit us. But what else?

In the April 1916 General Conference, Joseph F. Smith taught the following:

“Sometimes the Lord expands our vision from this point of view and this side of the veil, that we feel and seem to realize that we can look beyond the thin veil which separates us from that other sphere. . . . [And we would understand that] those who have passed beyond, can see more clearly through the veil back here to us than it is possible for us to see them from our sphere of action. I believe we move and have our being in the presence of heavenly messengers and of heavenly beings. We are not separate from them. We begin to realize more and more fully, as we become acquainted with the principles of the Gospel, as they have been revealed anew in this dispensation, that we are closely related to our kindred, to our ancestors, to our friends and associates and co-laborers who have preceded us into the spirit world. We can not forget them; we do not cease to love them; we always hold them in our hearts, in memory, and thus are associated and united to them by ties that we cannot break, that we cannot dissolve or free ourselves from. . . . And therefore, I claim that we live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever. For now they see the dangers that beset us; they can comprehend better than ever before, the weaknesses that are liable to mislead us into dark and forbidden paths. They see the temptations and evils that beset us in life and the proneness of mortal beings to yield to temptation and wrong doing; hence their solicitude for us and their love for us and their desire for our well being must be greater than that which we feel for ourselves.”

This is very surprising material. Also, do not forget the sometimes teaching that righteous parents will save their wayward children, as we see in teachings passed down from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young all the way to the present:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2002/09/hope-for-parents-of-wayward-children?lang=eng

Might this include work beyond the veil done for descendants struggling in mortality? It is difficult to avoid the strong possibility.

Why not, then, the Ghost Committee, working to provide Joseph Smith new scripture? Who better to compose a Christian epic novel in which briefly an ideal Christian community is realized? Why the Renaissance and Early Modern Period were filled with novels, epics, and utopian literature next to which the imaginative Book of Mormon with its esoteric content comfortably resides! Could it be that Joseph Smith’s own ancestors planned with their Early Modern brethren to convey this work (Book of Mormon) to Joseph Smith?

I would wager that John Dee, who conversed with angels and dreamed of a Christian empire in America, is a prime candidate for one of those who inspired the Smith family in their treasure digs and eventually prepared young Joseph to receive the Book of Mormon through the veil. Perhaps it was he who took on the guise of Nephi or Moroni, characters devised by him and other Early Modern Christian esotericists to lay the foundation for a new Christian utopian effort in the New World.

Setting aside my speculation, however, it is clear that the doctrinal foundation of the Ghost Committee is sound. We need no longer take the objections of apologists seriously. As the evidence mounts, what better way to account for it? The Ghost Committee should take its rightful place among other visions and dreams of our forebears operating on our behalf from beyond the veil.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Gadianton »

You are absolutely correct, Reverend. The apologists have stumbled upon the most TBM idea they've ever had, and yet hide their candle under a bushel.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The saints join arms with the Swedenborgians and Spiritualists. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

John Dee did have a seer stone which he translated materials from with another also. Can't remember where I saw this, but its true. A most interesting idea Reverend....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:You are absolutely correct, Reverend. The apologists have stumbled upon the most TBM idea they've ever had, and yet hide their candle under a bushel.

Indeed, Dean Robbers! I hope they ditch the reticence and begin to bring more of their substantial resources to bear on this line of research!

Would it be too much to hope for a second film, Spirit Translators, to accompany the soon-to-be-released Witnesses?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maksutov wrote:The saints join arms with the Swedenborgians and Spiritualists. :lol:

Ron Huggins has written a fascinating article on Swedenborgian modalism in the Book of Mormon. Now I suppose we have a better idea how Swedenborg’s influence found its way into the Book of Mormon. He must have been a member of the Ghost Committee!

We need to start compiling a list of the most likely members of this committee. We can debate the proposed members until we achieve the best possible list.

William Tyndale
John Dee
Francis Bacon
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Marsilio Ficino
Red Jacket (temporarily translated)

Others?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:John Dee did have a seer stone which he translated materials from with another also. Can't remember where I saw this, but its true. A most interesting idea Reverend....

We have Royal Skousen to thank. This is what it feels like to stand on the shoulders of giants.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

You know. Having worked on my share of committees where the end product was a mish mash of ideas and unhappy compromises, this idea is really starting to make sense.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Finn the human
_Emeritus

Post by _Finn the human »

Kishkumen wrote:
Maksutov wrote:The saints join arms with the Swedenborgians and Spiritualists. :lol:

Ron Huggins has written a fascinating article on Swedenborgian modalism in the Book of Mormon. Now I suppose we have a better idea how Swedenborg’s influence found its way into the Book of Mormon. He must have been a member of the Ghost Committee!

We need to start compiling a list of the most likely members of this committee. We can debate the proposed members until we achieve the best possible list.

William Tyndale
John Dee
Francis Bacon
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Marsilio Ficino
Red Jacket (temporarily translated)

Others?

I think its safe to assume that the actual cast of characters in the Book of Mormon were also on the committee. For example, father Lehi, all the Nephi’s, Moroni, Mormon, and even Jesus. It used to bother me that there was all this dialogue in the Book of Mormon. I’d wonder who was standing around with plates and chisel in hand to take shorthand and be the stenographer? Well a ghost committee really helps to shore up that plot hole. I can imagine Jesus giving a play by play to the committee of how he wrecked all those evil cities in the Americas and then how he appeared in the sky and floated down to earth to rehash the sermon on the mount. Pretty epic stuff.
Mathematical!
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Adam Clarke
Jane Lead
John L. Mosheim
Charles Buck
Thomas Dick
Flavius Josephus
Plato
Origin
Proclus
John Allen
William Hone
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."