The coronavirus spread updated in real time

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: The coronavirus spread updated in real time

Post by _Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:Schools are closed here next week (and the week after is spring break). Just told my church and my jiu jitsu class I'm going to avoid them for two weeks and assess. (Note: at almost 28 weeks pregnant, was mostly just observing at BJJ class anyhow, but I will miss the humor and camaraderie a lot.) Rescheduled my book club MeetUp (The Golden Compass) to the end of April. The club was going to see A Quiet Place 2 next weekend, but the film's release has been postponed.

Was going to do a tour of the hospital maternity ward tomorrow, but they called us to cancel that. I figured they would.

My 6yo has been going stir-crazy for playing with tech lately. He keeps wanting to reprogram the Raspberry Pi that I lovingly programmed with a few hundred not-entirely-legal retro ROMs. I finally ordered him a KANO computer kit. It will be a good project for him under house arrest.

I ordered more paint for the baby's crib. I am painting the 6yo's old brown crib beige.

Keep me posted on y'all's lives in the era of coronavirus.

EA, sorry to hear about about your flu (coronavirus?) bout. Glad you are feeling better.

Our schools just announced closure here too! That makes all three universities associated w our family, and local high school and middle school all closed. The one family member still traveling into NYC at least doesn’t take mass transit, but still stressful.

I feel for you w a 6 year old under “house arrest”! Not easy. Does he do legos or Duplos?

Also, “A quiet place 2” looks pretty interesting. Something to look forward to, right?
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Lemmie wrote:I feel for you w a 6 year old under “house arrest”! Not easy. Does he do legos or Duplos?

Voting for Legos at that age. : )
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

canpakes wrote:
Lemmie wrote:I feel for you w a 6 year old under “house arrest”! Not easy. Does he do legos or Duplos?

Voting for Legos at that age. : )

Unless he likes to learn by swallowing! :lol:
I had one from crawling to about age 4 who never saw a bug or insect he didn’t think he could learn more about by popping it in his mouth. Outside time was a study in vigilance for years.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

I have been following the news on Trump's National Emergency declaration presser.

What a disaster ...

"I take no responsibility for that [i.e. the delay in starting COVID-19 tests]"

“it's a nasty question ... we saved thousands of lives because of the quick closing. And when you say me, I didn't do it...I don't know anything about it. ... It’s the administration. Perhaps they do that, let people go." - about the removal of the Global Health Security team from the National Security Council office under his Presidency, thereby hamstringing the ability of the US government to react quickly to the COVID-19 threat.

I hear he is now thinking of including the UK in his latest travel ban. Frankly, I'm relieved.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

That presser was just horrifying. It starts with the President behaving like he's reading a foreign language he does not understand with awkward ad libs, which is par for the course I suppose, but then descends into crazed avoidance of responsibility, hostility, and praise for the leader theatrics that we used to think of as hallmarks of a dictatorship. Then tagged on to that appeared to be an attempt at economic reassurance right before markets close that felt like a pump and dump stock market scheme.

Also, they were packed like sardines there. Why do that. Why?
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Wisconsin public and private schools were just ordered closed down.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Our state now has 72 cases and it's first death. A woman in her 80's that had been hospitalized (in our county) that as I understand it wasn't tested as reports still showed only 1 case in the county.

Really appreciating our Governor and health department officials right now.

And here I sit in the woods with only one other human in sight. Not all that unusual. I won't be seeing the rest of my people for a long time. We've all decided to stay put right where we are and socially distance ourselves from each other.

Makes me sad but I know we're doing the right thing. I had a pneumonia shot two years ago. Hope that makes a difference.

I miss my people. :sad:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:I have been following the news on Trump's National Emergency declaration presser.

What a disaster ...

"I take no responsibility for that [i.e. the delay in starting COVID-19 tests]"

“it's a nasty question ... we saved thousands of lives because of the quick closing. And when you say me, I didn't do it...I don't know anything about it. ... It’s the administration. Perhaps they do that, let people go."

I don't know what to say any more.

Wait. I do.

We have a white supremacist on the board who can't stop crushing on this guy, but in the same breath will bitch and moan about the current situation without grasping that the President is responsible, to a degree, due to his poor executive leadership, gutting the CDC and related federal agencies, not getting emergency funding in place quick enough, and not coordinating efforts well enough that exasperated circumstances to the point of him worrying about patients coughing in his face.

There's definitely one thing about posting in this forum that’s incontrovertible:

Partisanship is insanity manifested.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Had a job interview, so braved the Seattle Hot Zone. Downtown was still open for business, but it looked like very early on a Sunday morning. Freeway traffic was weirdly light. Law firm folks are still breaking the shaking hand habit. Everyone I saw was in good spirits.

The governor extended the six week shutdown and the ban on gatherings of 250 or more to the entire state. The Department of Labor & Industries will be issuing workplace regulations to enforce social distancing. A couple of the firms I’ve spoken with expect to be rearranging things during next week. Never heard anyone say anything like “it’s the flu - you’ll be fine.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

This is why tracking numbers are so difficult:

So. Yeah.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.