Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: Systemic Racism: Fact or Myth?

Post by _ajax18 »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:52 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:09 pm
There ate disadvataged people of all races. Why are they less deserving of help because of their race?
Like who?
You can be white and still born into poverty. As I've mentioned both the Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered. No reparations were ever considered.

You can be an African immigrant from a black family from Africa who was never enslaved in tbe US. Obama is a good example.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

The Romans took White Anglo-Saxon Protestants as slaves?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ruby Bridges isn't even retirement age yet. Not everyone who proposes reparations is even talking specifically about slavery.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 am
The tragic thing about him is that he probably regards himself as a righteous person...
...which would be as delusional as anything he's ever written here. There's no such thing as a righteous liar. Nobody on this forum (except the people I've put on ignore) is as consistently and blatantly dishonest as ajax is. He's almost as pathological a liar as Trump himself. He exists in a complete fantasy of his own warped making.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_AZCaesar
_Emeritus

Post by _AZCaesar »

ajax18 wrote: ...both the Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered.
Wow, TIL that both the Vikings and the Romans had time-travel technology!
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

What makes it even funnier is I can imagine Ajax made this choice after initially typing, "Aryan", realized the group here isn't likely to react as positively to that term as his normal online associates would, and then fumbled for what he sees as a suitable synonym. I mean, we all know WASP is a reference to people of superior ancestry from northern Europe so what's the problem? :lol:
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_MissTish
_Emeritus

Post by _MissTish »

ajax18 wrote: ...both the Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered.
Ah yes, the famous Roman conquests of Darien Connecticut and Westchester NY. Many Episcopalians were taken captive at the Bath & Tennis Club and held as slaves.
People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy.- Super Hans

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.- H. L. Mencken
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ajax follows the Nazi habit of fetishizing Vikings/the Norse and likely considers them "Ayran." I think he said "WASP" because he wanted to say white people - the good kind - but didn't want to confuse the matter with other white people he was talking about.

There's popular fallacious ideas about Irish slavery in Brietbart land, so just be thankful he didn't go that route.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:11 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:52 pm

Like who?
You can be white and still born into poverty. As I've mentioned both the Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered. No reparations were ever considered.

You can be an African immigrant from a black family from Africa who was never enslaved in tbe US. Obama is a good example.
Okay let me take a crack at this without reading replies from others that will influence me. Trying to keep myself honest here and it's okay with me if I look stupid doing it. Just a prediction. ;-)

Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered. No reparations were ever considered.

Do you mean that Vikings and Romans held slaves from WASP people they conquered in United States of America? If so, I am not aware of this. Keep in mind we're talking here about the U.S. providing reparations to it's own citizens.

Do you think that if reparations were offered, they would require documentation on the part of relatives of slaves? I'm not entirely sure where such documentation exists except I suspect there could be slave registries of some kind and genealogical information that can be traced through slave blood lines.

Have you read the book titled, White Rage?

I'm next on the list to borrow it from one of my kids after the person before me is finished reading it. Just going by what was shared with me, we aren't just talking about those who were enslaved but a situation of generational and systemic racism in which African American's were jerked around by their own government here in the U.S.

One thing that was mentioned to me was that our much revered President Abraham Lincoln, having issued the EP set about finding ways to relocate then freed slaves to other countries in order to get them out of the United States and leave them to colonize other areas of the world. In other words, he wasn't exactly on the up and up. Now...I don't know how true that all is. I have looked up information online that seems to support it. Until I read the book and see how it's put together, it's content and references, I hesitate to share more because I am fairly ignorant of American history and at this point I am willing to say that I was taught a sanitized version of the truth when I was in school.

So I am re-learning history even as it is taking place in real time.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Good gawd I just read the replies. I don't understand even half of them. And yet, I'm not embarrassed to say that in full public view. :lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb