Church officials respond to missing Anubis snout in Facsimile No. 3

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Church officials respond to missing Anubis snout in Facsimile No. 3

Post by _Shulem »

I'm posting this thread where information can be collected and posted regarding upcoming responses from the Church about this very important controversy concerning the authenticity of Facsimile No. 3, published by the Church in the Book of Abraham. Litigation or legal action by those who ascribe to beliefs and values of the ancient Egyptian religion or who have been misled to believe Joseph Smith translated ancient Egyptian may file class action suit against the Church and sue for damages -- in the BILLIONS of dollars which the Church readily has available in its secret account which has been kept from the members of the Church.

The original discovery and some continued discussion of the jackal snout is found in these Mormon Discussion links:

A few questions for Shulem
Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubis
BOOK OF ABRAHAM FACSIMILE NO. 3​​ WEBSITE

I'm confident this matter will be publicly addressed by BYU Egyptologists and Church officials who are responsible for the continuous slander in publishing Facsimile No. 3, with its accompanying Explanations in The Pearl of Great Price.

Two things need to happen in order to alleviate Defamation of Character and slanderous statements towards the deities of another religion, namely the ancient Egyptian religion.

1. Restore the snout of the jackal god Anubis in a corrected version of Facsimile No. 3
2. Cease the publication of the Explanations in Book of Abraham canon.

Also, for reference, here are links to Mormon Stories & Radio Free Mormon interviewing Dr. Robert Ritner about the Book of Abraham:

MORMON STORIES 1339-1341: DR. ROBERT RITNER – AN EXPERT EGYPTOLOGIST TRANSLATES THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM
Radio Free Mormon: 188: Dr. Robert K. Ritner on the Book of Abraham part 1
Radio Free Mormon: 189: Dr. Robert K. Ritner on the Book of Abraham part 2
Radio Free Mormon: 191: Dr. Robert K. Ritner on the Book of Abraham part 3
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Anubis in Facsimile No.1, is Anubis

Post by _Shulem »

Original Papyrus of Facsimile No.1

First, let me say that I'm going to speak plainly. I'm not going to attempt to dazzle you with references, footnotes, fancy terms, technical jargon, or pretended scholarly credentials. I'm not even going to appeal to authority! When you read what I have to say, you'll know within yourself that it's true. You'll know in your mind and heart that the truth resonates with you because it rings true. What you do with that understanding is entirely up to you. Dr. John Gee and Kerry Muhlestein can accept and embrace it or they can deny and reject it as they fight and resist but deep down they know it's true. I know they know it's true and in that there is edification.

PART I

In the scene above we see Anubis standing proudly before an honorable funerary lion bed on which the first pharaoh of Egypt (Osiris) and husband to queen Isis, emerges and rises up as a living spirit and soul. Blessed be Osiris in receiving the blessing in the presence of Anubis who extends his embalming hand of healing and protection wherein is a cup of life. Anubis holds the blessed cup and he carries the sacred ankh.

Under the lion bed are four Canopic jars that contained the embalmed vital organs of Osiris prior to resurrection and divine fertility. These are figurative of the four sons of Horus who are future grandchildren of king Osiris through his son Horus who is being conceived by Isis while her husband rises on the royal lion bed. The divine representation of life and fertility is manifest in combination with the gods who breathe life into Osiris who lives forever.

Amen.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

7 bedknobs and broomsticks

Post by _Shulem »

Calling Philo Sofee, calling Philo Sofee -- come in, come in Philo -- hello?

Rather than counting dots on the side of the bark in Facsimile No. 2 (do you remember doing that 20 years ago?, ha ha ha), try counting knobs on the side of the lion bed of Facsimile No.1, shall we?

Joseph Smith Papers Facsimile No.1

How many knobs are there? Five are visible, one is lost in the lucuna, and another is behind the legging of Anubis' kilt. That makes seven knobs which is an Egyptian lucky number!

What could this mean?

:biggrin:
Wikipedia wrote: Numbers in Egyptian mythology

Seven: symbol of perfection, effectiveness, completeness

The number seven was apparently the Egyptian symbol of such ideas as perfection, effectiveness, and completeness.

Examples

Seven thousand barrels of red beer were used to trick Sekhmet out of killing.
In her search for her husband's pieces, the goddess Isis was guarded by seven scorpions.

A legendary famine lasted seven years.

The lowest amount that the Nile flooded to solve the famine was seven cubits. The highest was 28 cubits (four times seven).

A doomed prince found a tower seventy (ten times seven) cubits high with seventy (ten times seven) windows.

Set tore the god Osiris’ body into fourteen pieces: seven each for the two regions of Upper and Lower Egypt.

The Pool symbol, representing water, contains seven zigzag lines.

The Gold symbol has seven spines on its underside.

Now, for fun and giggles, let's try something a little more esoteric:
Tehuti Research Foundation wrote:
The universal cyclical number par excellence is SEVEN. Seven of something frequently makes a complete set—the 7 days of the week, 7 colors of the spectrum, 7 notes of the musical scale, etc. The cells of the human body are totally renewed every 7 years.

The Egyptian word for the number seven is Sab-aa, which is the same word for Lion.

One of Osiris’ titles was The Lion; the same word as Seven.

The zodiac sign of Leo was chosen to signify the time of the year when lions go to the water’s edge to drink at the beginning of the rainy season.

Not only is Osiris is related to the number seven and to the Lion, but he is also associated with water supply, as we will see later herein.

Since Osiris represents the latent power of resurrection to begin a new cycle, the Egyptians depicted the deathbed in the shape of a lion being number seven (being Osiris).

Tehuti Research Foundation

That ties it! It's Osiris on his lion bed and that's got to be Anubis! Wouldn't you say?

:wink:
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Re: Church officials respond to missing Anubis snout in Facsimile No. 3

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Shulem has you seen this on Facsimile 3. https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/etd/7598/
Mores or less a summary .Note page 40 a comparison between Ritner and Rhodes
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Shulem note this on page 36 ""Since the metal printing plate is the oldest known extant illustration of the
Facsimile, it is worth considering the most likely process by which it was made, and how it may
have affected the overall accuracy of Hedlock’s work.17"
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

It was the Printers fault.
"Joseph Smith’s journal indicates that he only
visited the printing office once during the two weeks that typesetting for the issue containing
Facsimile No. 3 would have occurred, and unfortunately mentions no specifics of the business he
engaged in there.63 Furthermore, on the day Facsimile No. 3 was supposedly published, his
journal indicates that he never visited the printing office until late in the evening, and even then,
only to discuss certain matters with Brigham Young and several other brethren.64 On the other
hand, Wilford Woodruff, who had the privilege of assisting in the publication of previous
portions of the Book of Abraham, seems to have been present in the printing office the entire
day.65 The involvement of others besides Joseph Smith in the final publication of the Facsimile,
then, seems likely.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Page 83 you get a mention regarding the one ear.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

aussieguy55 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:34 am
It was the Printers fault.
Thanks for posting. Yes, I saw that dissertation you linked above only a few weeks ago and briefly skimmed it. Now that you've linked it I will be committed to go back and review it.

Yep, blaming the scribes and printers and everyone else for Joseph Smith's problems seems to be the old apologetic fallback. But, concerning the Times and Seasons during this era there can be no doubt that Smith was intimately involved in the Book of Abraham publication and worked closely with WILFORD WOODRUFF, an apostle, who was specially commissioned in seeing to it that everything was done in order and decently as prescribed by the PRESIDENT OF THE CHURCH. Woodruff later canonized the whole kit and caboodle almost as soon as he became Church President.

So, if they want to blame Woodfruff, let them. They can also blame him for canonizing the damn thing which he did first chance he got. They can also blame Oliver Cowdery (The Second Elder of the Church) for his part in producing the uninspired Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar. Just blame everyone else except for Joseph! In my mind it's kind of like saying that the getaway driver for bank robbers is innocent because he didn't actually rob the bank but was innocently and unawares sitting in the car during the actual crime. So they blame the robbers and not the driver who provides the final means whereby the crime could be successfully pulled off.

Joseph Smith was the driver of the Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar and he as Church President was responsible for the contents in those notebooks that were taken west in apostle Willard Richards suitcase to Utah. They were put in the First Presidency vault for a reason and are forever linked to Joseph Smith.

The following links in WIKIPEDIA are excellent sources worth bookmarking to acquire quick information about the Joseph Smith papyrus and learn more about this controversial subject.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Book of Abraham
Joseph Smith Papyri
Criticism of the Book of Abraham
Joseph Smith Hypocephalus
Kirtland Egyptian papers
Book of Joseph (Latter Day Saints)
File:Facsimile 3 plate anubis.jpg
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Seven thousand barrels of red beer were used to trick Sekhmet out of killing.
Has anyone tried to track down the records from Guinness Brewery to confirm this story?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace