Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Anyone following the Gabby Petito case? (Breaking)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 pm
Joy Reid has this to say about MWWS:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-joy ... n-syndrome
Reid ended the segment by suggesting that missing women of color weren't noticed as much because they didn't look like the daughters or granddaughters of newsroom executives, alluding to one of her guest's earlier claims on the show that stories on missing non-White women weren't sensational enough for the White, middle-aged males leading newsrooms.
I’m not gonna lie, I’m still not sure what the fascination is, but I understand how people get sucked into a story like Gabby’s. I mean, I’m posting on a thread about her, the subreddit named after her has 106,000+ subscribers, and tv news stations across the nation give almost hourly updates.

And you know what? I think Ms. Reid is right. I get what she’s saying, but I’m not sure what it says about us. It’s something to consider for me and how I view in-groups and out-groups.

- Doc
I spelled out my interest in a previous post that I'll copy here. Following these cases is extremely centering for me. I wouldn't care if the folks involved were white or POC. I followed the George Floyd case as intently as I do this one.

Anyway, here is what I stated. First para says it all.
This is ground zero in my behavioral related wheelhouse. It turns every gear that I have--psychology, sociology, behavior, motivations, intentions, cultural influences---like everything.

Up to and including the stupid mistakes that criminals make. Example: "Gabby" refers to her grandpa as Stan in her text to her mother. Sets off alarms in Mom's mind. Brian Laundrie is in his early twenties. He's smart enough to use his phone to dummy up a text message, but not insightful enough to call grandpa by Gabby's love name for him. Frontal lobe, executive function, issues.

Patrick Frazee same thing, smart enough to dummy up texts from his fiancee'...not smart enough to know the cells are tracking devices.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:15 pm
it’s harshin’ my vibe,
I understand what you mean. When I am following the cases, I manage to separate and focus on the investigation, then the forensics, and finally, the trials. They psychological aspects for sure. The pieces of the case are what captures my interest. Justice would be nice, if it's attainable.

Fiancee' is still missing. In a Florida reserve that is 25 thousand acres. Yes, you read that right.

To date there is no evidence disclosed tying the fiancee' to the disappearance or murder. Except for his actions on his return home which seems to point to consciousness of guilt...but we'll see.
There's a bit more than that. The woman's body was found, in my opinion, only because of a tip reporting a sighting of the van, 900 feet away. Without that tip, I doubt the body would have been found, for months or even years, given the huge area they were searching.

That exact same van arrived in Florida, Sept 1, and ended up parked in the boyfriend's parents' driveway. The boyfriend and the boyfriend's family however, have not explained, as far as I know, how Gabby's vehicle (yes, it was in her name) ended up at his home, with him, and without her.

There are coincidences. And then there are coincidences that are not coincidental at all.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ETA: Lem beat me to it.

Its worth considering that blanket news coverage likely made recovery of Gabby possible and allowing at least some closure. Those missing who don't get that level of coverage miss more than just notice. Had the story not been headline news all over the country, who is to say the person who captured the video of the parked van that led to her discovery would have realized what they were looking at while editing their travel video?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:07 pm
This is happening in Salt Lake City:

In the same area that Gabby Petito disappeared, 710 indigenous people— mostly girls—disappeared between the years of 2011 and 2020 but their stories didn’t lead news cycles, writes Molly Jong-Fast.
https://www.Facebook.com/mmiwutah/

I don’t recall, locally, any women outside of white ones that got the kind of attention like we’re seeing now. Anyway. This is venturing into derail territory so I’ll stop with this one.

- Doc
I don't think it's a derail. It fits exactly what is being discussed here. Whether one is a blonde blue-eyed young fit female, getting attention from the world, or you are a non-white, possibly older female, not getting attention, it's the same. Both cases are examples of sexism.

On a personal note, as much as I was following the story and feeling bad for gabby petito, watching the young, male FBI agent almost dissolve into tears with extreme anguish when announcing gabby's body had been found left me very, very uncomfortable. I had never seen that happen for non-white, non-young, non-blue eyed blonde females. The FBI agent's "anguish" seemed very race, age, and coloring-specific. And VERY inappropriate.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Anyone remember Elizabeth Smart>? She kinda looks like her.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:45 pm
Anyone remember Elizabeth Smart>? She kinda looks like her.
Exhibit A. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

I don’t recall, locally, any women outside of white ones that got the kind of attention like we’re seeing now. Anyway. This is venturing into derail territory so I’ll stop with this one.

- Doc
No, feel free to post anything you like that is case related here. I do what I do off this board with these cases in other online communities. I posted about this one here because a body (pending identification) had been discovered. In other words, the case was moving into high gear. Take it in any direction that you like. I'll more than likely jump back in when something breaks regarding Brian Laundrie or whatever floats to the surface that I find interesting.

If any folks here are interested in following and if this is the first time...I can almost guarantee that if an arrest affidavit is published, it'll blow your mind. As these cases are unfolding there are many critics of LE and the FBI. People get frustrated they want answers NOW. That's not how it works.These agencies know what they're doing and in the end, they'll likely make a believer out of you.

Take the arrest affidavit for Barry Morphew that I linked to earlier. It's a veritable gold mine of evidence and forensic discovery that heretofore had not been released publicly. People harshly criticized the Chaffee County PD and FBI. In the end, they delivered the goods.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gorilla
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc
No, feel free to post anything you like that is case related here. I do what I do off this board with these cases in other online communities. I posted about this one here because a body (pending identification) had been discovered. In other words, the case was moving into high gear. Take it in any direction that you like. I'll more than likely jump back in when something breaks regarding Brian Laundrie or whatever floats to the surface that I find interesting.

If any folks here are interested in following and if this is the first time...I can almost guarantee that if an arrest affidavit is published, it'll blow your mind. As these cases are unfolding there are many critics of LE and the FBI. People get frustrated they want answers NOW. That's not how it works.These agencies know what they're doing and in the end, they'll likely make a believer out of you.

Take the arrest affidavit for Barry Morphew that I linked to earlier. It's a veritable gold mine of evidence and forensic discovery that heretofore had not been released publicly. People harshly criticized the Chaffee County PD and FBI. In the end, they delivered the goods.
Interesting point about the Morphew affidavit. I'm reading that now.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:12 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 am

Interesting point about the Morphew affidavit. I'm reading that now.
Put your feet up and get comfortable! I'm not done with it myself!

Slava Ukraini!