Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Gunnar »

Another vegetable I like even more than broccoli is brussels sprouts. My wife doesn't serve it to me often enough. :(
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Thoughts about dieting: When you start getting overweight, think about incremental substitutions. Less salt. More chicken and fish, less red meat. But if you concentrate on making the changes gradually, they become part of your habits. And the best diet is not one that you "go on". To keep weight off, your diet is the way you normally eat.

The other component I find invaluable is exercise. Find something that gets your endorphins going. it may be running or biking or walking or rowing or some team sport. Again, don't punish yourself. Be incremental. After a while, diet and exercise create a positive feedback loop. Your body starts metabolizing fat more efficiently.

At one point in my life I weighed about 210 pounds. I'm down to 153, and I feel great. Diet and exercise formed a symbiotic relationship.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:11 pm
Find something that gets your endorphins going.
Posting on DiscussMormonism.com. (Wonder how many calories I burn writing a post versus replying to a post?)
At one point in my life I weighed about 210 pounds. I'm down to 153, and I feel great.
Wow - Good for you!

Thanks for the post.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

I weigh at about 230 pounds.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

MeDotOrg wrote:
… if you concentrate on making the changes gradually, they become part of your habits.

The other component I find invaluable is exercise. Find something that gets your endorphins going. it may be running or biking or walking or rowing or some team sport. Again, don't punish yourself. Be incremental.
Like the dietary changes, that comment about becoming ‘part of your habits’ works for exercise, too. Ceeboo, if you get a routine going for a while, you’ll probably start to notice that it no longer feels natural or comfortable to skip that exercise routine for a day or two.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Brack.
Brack wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:22 pm
I weigh at about 230 pounds.
So are you happy with that? Or are you looking to loose a few? If yes, don't forget to post your "new" weight next Thursday, September 30th!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Cakes
canpakes wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 pm
Like the dietary changes, that comment about becoming ‘part of your habits’ works for exercise, too. Ceeboo, if you get a routine going for a while, you’ll probably start to notice that it no longer feels natural or comfortable to skip that exercise routine for a day or two.
Yeah - I'm thinking along those same lines - Just need to get a routine going.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Ceebs, a few meal preparation things I've picked up along the way. Again, nothing here is rocket science but starting off can be daunting so I figure I'll ease the burden any way I can.
  • Have plenty of reusable storage to use. If you're taking the meals to work I recommend something that is fairly air tight and microwavable. If you are like me I am notorious for leaving stuff behind so I also opt for cheap. I use something like this because I don't care if they are all melded together but there are tons of various options. But you want to pre portion your meals, having a giant pot of cooked food isn't that helpful.
  • To that end, I highly recommend a food scale. Although I don't count calories I do weigh my food (I also have designated utensils that I know roughly the serving amount for). You will be surprised at first how generous your portions likely are compared to a "standard serving".
  • Have a plan for the day you are doing the prepping. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but I have a mini dry erase board on my fridge that I right out what proteins are going with what starches and veggies. When you get all your skillets and pots and oven going it can get a bit hectic, for me anyways.
  • I bought a Ninja Fodi a few years back and it is an absolute Godsend. Any brand or style will work but I really like having my air fryer, pressure cooker, steamer, etc all in one place. The pressure cooker alone can cut WAY down on preparation time for large quantities of meat and it makes some killer rice.
  • I subscribe to the, season at all stages method. I like to marinate my meat, add a bit of seasoning as I cook and then also add a dash of sauce/spice after it is all done. I listed my preferred condiment brands earlier.
  • When I'm cooking a regular meal I will often prepare double or triple the amount and just save the rest, last generations leftovers is my generations meal preparation.
  • There is some trial and error in what you'll end up liking. Make sure to keep track of good recipes as you go along.
  • I use a lot of shortcut items to ease the process. I already mentioned the riced cauliflower and broccoli I use but if your budget allows you can find nearly everything pre-cut or seasoned from your local grocer (just make sure you are checking those nutrition labels).
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thoughts about dieting: When you start getting overweight, think about incremental substitutions. Less salt. More chicken and fish, less red meat. But if you concentrate on making the changes gradually, they become part of your habits. And the best diet is not one that you "go on". To keep weight off, your diet is the way you normally eat.

The other component I find invaluable is exercise. Find something that gets your endorphins going. it may be running or biking or walking or rowing or some team sport. Again, don't punish yourself. Be incremental. After a while, diet and exercise create a positive feedback loop. Your body starts metabolizing fat more efficiently.

At one point in my life I weighed about 210 pounds. I'm down to 153, and I feel great. Diet and exercise formed a symbiotic relationship.
I'm not sure there is any better advice in this thread and it is very condensed at that. To your point about exercise. One of things that I like to remind people is it should feel more like play than work. If you aren't having fun doing it then you likely won't stick with it.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Ceeboo, how’s your probiotic and fiber intake?

Remember to help keep your stomach critters happy, and they’ll help you to hit your weight goals.