Divine Hiddenness in Alma

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Divine Hiddenness in Alma

Post by drumdude »

Dan wrote some article about how miraculous it is that Joseph Smith dictated the same sentence at different points in the translation process.

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... -an-angel/

Yawn. However, here's something interesting from Alma he quoted:
Consider the story in which Alma the Younger famously expresses his yearning to reach all humanity with the message of the gospel:
O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. (Alma 29:1–2)
Candidly, I didn’t like it at all; I’m not really sure why. However, I’ve come to like it quite a bit over recent years. Again, I’m not quite sure why that should be so, except that I’ve begun to appreciate much more than I once did the urgency of getting the message of the Gospel and, now, of the Restoration out to humanity, and of calling people (not excluding myself) to repentance — as well as to feel more sharply than I once did a frustration at our inability to do so as widely and extensively and powerfully as we would like. I’ve seen too many individuals and families make choices that have led to pain and suffering, and I worry about a society that seems, collectively speaking, to be making analogous choices. How I wish that “they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth!”
I'll do some more mind reading of Peterson and claim that some cognitive dissonance may be the cause of his unease. Dan, perhaps unconsciously, struggles with God's divine hiddenness. God chooses to make all the religions appear equally false to unbiased outside observers. He chooses to hide all the evidence of Nephites and Lamanites. He chose every single stumbling block within Mormon history - Polygamy, Polyandry, Fraud, Deceit, Murder. Child brides, for heaven's sake. He allowed the Internet to spread awareness of these vast problems within Mormonism. Currently, he is causing Mormon growth to flatline and likely begin declining.

If there is a Mormon God, he is trying as hard as he can to prevent people from following him. Where are the angels?
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Divine Hiddenness in Alma

Post by Philo Sofee »

Drumdude
I'll do some more mind reading of Peterson and claim that some cognitive dissonance may be the cause of his unease. Dan, perhaps unconsciously, struggles with God's divine hiddenness. God chooses to make all the religions appear equally false to unbiased outside observers. He chooses to hide all the evidence of Nephites and Lamanites. He chose every single stumbling block within Mormon history - Polygamy, Polyandry, Fraud, Deceit, Murder. Child brides, for heaven's sake. He allowed the Internet to spread awareness of these vast problems within Mormonism. Currently, he is causing Mormon growth to flatline and likely begin declining.

If there is a Mormon God, he is trying as hard as he can to prevent people from following him. Where are the angels?
Deep insight here!!! Staggering actually.
However, the one shiny spot is we do know the name of the King in Facsimile 3, and that just has to count for God doing something to share his love for us... oh wait.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:00 pm
Dan wrote some article about how miraculous it is that Joseph Smith dictated the same sentence at different points in the translation process.

Consider the story in which Alma the Younger famously expresses his yearning to reach all humanity with the message of the gospel:

….

Candidly, I didn’t like it at all; I’m not really sure why. However, I’ve come to like it quite a bit over recent years. Again, I’m not quite sure why that should be so, except that I’ve begun to appreciate much more than I once did the urgency of getting the message of the Gospel and, now, of the Restoration out to humanity, and of calling people (not excluding myself) to repentance — as well as to feel more sharply than I once did a frustration at our inability to do so as widely and extensively and powerfully as we would like. I’ve seen too many individuals and families make choices that have led to pain and suffering, and I worry about a society that seems, collectively speaking, to be making analogous choices. How I wish that “they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth!”

It’s not clear. What is the LDS church doing with its money to get the message of the Gospel and of the Restoration out? How often do the apostles preach to large groups of nonmembers and call them to repentance? How many nonmembers knew that three apostles recently visited England and Scotland? What was the compelling message they shared there? How often do the apostles prophesy and perform miracles, including healings?

(As an aside, I wonder why Interpreter is recycling an old Deseret News column without any acknowledgment: https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/20 ... ly-written.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Because Interpreter has a miraculous unbroken publishing record to maintain. :D
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Dillahunty: Do you think God exists? Theist: Yes.
Dillahunty: Do you think God wants me to know he exists? Theist: Yes
Dillahunty: Can God reveal himself to me where it is undeniable he is God? Theist: Yes but....
Dillahunty: Why hasn't it happened? Theist: Because sin is interfering.
Dillahunty: Can't God overcome sin and reveal himself where it is undeniable he is God? Theist: possibly.
Dillahunty: Why hasn't it happened then? Theist: Because he is waiting for you to repent.
Dillahunty: Why are you making excuses for God? I have to believe first before I ask if he is real? Theist: It isn't that he doesn't want you to know.
Dillahunty: Then ask him what you should say to me that will convince me......