The Rosebud MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: “Mentally Troubled” and “Assault”

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 pm

So, you want a system that produces an outcome that is equitable based on sex?

- Doc
My words were chosen because while it’s all great to speak of equality of opportunity, many of the barriers that women and other marginalized groups face are systemic but not easily solved through equal opportunity policies alone.

In my own field of political science, there’s long been a debate as to whether the scarcity of women in politics is due to supply or demand. Over the last few years however the research suggests it’s more of a demand problem, with one proposed solution being quotas.

I want a system that’s more equitable yes, but not just for women. Racialized minorities (particularly people of colour in Canada and the US), Indigenous & First Nations Peoples (who also face racial barriers), my fellow 2slgbtq+, there are a lot of people whose interests are poorly served right now.

I don’t believe in any ‘end of history’ as it were, but I do think we can do better to meet the needs of disenfranchised people, and much of what the church currently stands for is either in direct or indirect opposition to this goal.
Would you be willing to compromise on competency or availability if the standard within your system is predicated on the physical features and sexual identity as you described above? I ask that because if we create a hierarchy of needs based on perceived oppression or lack of representation it’s going to get complicated quickly and will breakdown under the weight of it’s own layering.

For example, excluding legacy admissions to Harvard, there exists a system in place to diversify the student population. One of the interesting things that has come out of this is that under ‘white’ admissions something like 75% of admitted white students are Jewish. I have no idea why that rate is so high, but if Jews who make up, I dunno, 6% of the US are getting 75% of the seats, then there’s an ethnicity disequity happening where Mormons, Evangelical, Catholics, Lutherans et al are underrepresented, no? Do you mandate that admissions are predicated on the hundreds, if not thousands, of groups in which people identify?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 pm
Canadiandude2 wrote:

My words were chosen because while it’s all great to speak of equality of opportunity, many of the barriers that women and other marginalized groups face are systemic but not easily solved through equal opportunity policies alone.

In my own field of political science, there’s long been a debate as to whether the scarcity of women in politics is due to supply or demand. Over the last few years however the research suggests it’s more of a demand problem, with one proposed solution being quotas.

I want a system that’s more equitable yes, but not just for women. Racialized minorities (particularly people of colour in Canada and the US), Indigenous & First Nations Peoples (who also face racial barriers), my fellow 2slgbtq+, there are a lot of people whose interests are poorly served right now.

I don’t believe in any ‘end of history’ as it were, but I do think we can do better to meet the needs of disenfranchised people, and much of what the church currently stands for is either in direct or indirect opposition to this goal.
Would you be willing to compromise on competency or availability if the standard within your system is predicated on the physical features and sexual identity as you described above? I ask that because if we create a hierarchy of needs based on perceived oppression or lack of representation it’s going to get complicated quickly and will breakdown under the weight of it’s own layering.

For example, excluding legacy admissions to Harvard, there exists a system in place to diversify the student population. One of the interesting things that has come out of this is that under ‘white’ admissions something like 75% of admitted white students are Jewish. I have no idea why that rate is so high, but if Jews who make up, I dunno, 6% of the US are getting 75% of the seats, then there’s an ethnicity disequity happening where Mormons, Evangelical, Catholics, Lutherans et al are underrepresented, no? Do you mandate that admissions are predicated on the hundreds, if not thousands, of groups in which people identify?

- Doc
I'm skeptical at the notion that hiring practices or university admissions have much to do with competency. But I'm also skeptical that equal opportunity standards in the air necessarily manifest in equal opportunity on the ground. I don't think we should expect perfectly equal outcomes when we compare racial groups, ethnic groups, gender groups, etc. But I also think that, when the evidence shows a large disparity in hiring, or university admissions, or pay, we should stop and do our best to figure out why. Because when designing fair systems in the air, it's easy to miss structural barriers that may occur on the ground.

On the Harvard question, I have no idea whether you are talking about ethnic Jews or religiously observant Jews. But, observing a discrepancy like that, I think it would be worth spending the time and effort to understand why. Is it because Jews apply to Harvard in percentages similar to their admissions? Is there some obstacle in the admissions criteria or evaluation process that disfavors white students of different ethnicity or religion? Is there a bias toward graduates of private vs. public high schools? Are there certain high schools that admissions personnel treat as being preferred to others? If you've got a system that looks fair in theory, I think it's good practice to make sure it's working as intended.

And I don't think one needs to run around and check the balance on every imaginable category of person. But where you have evidence of historical disadvantage to a specific group based on bias, I think it makes sense to keep an eye on how institutions are functioning for those groups. For example, when illegal marijuana use is roughly equal by white and black folks, but black folks are disproportionately arrested for marijuana possession, I think it warrants spending time and effort to figure out why that is happening.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:39 am
On the Harvard question, I have no idea whether you are talking about ethnic Jews or religiously observant Jews.
I think you just provided an excellent new category we’ll have to consider when ensuring equity. For example, here in UT there exists a variety of Mormons, ex-Mormons, and everything in between. If Utah business X or Utah government agency Y have 100 positions to fill, I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t be fair to fill 100 positions with just temple recommend holding Mormons because we want representation more than we want positions filled on, say, competency. Wouldn't it be fair to hold 50 seats for non-temple recommend holding Mormons?

Aha, but what about ex-Mormons? Ok. 33/33/34.

Thanks, but what about Christian ex-Mormons? Ok. 25/25/25/25.

Well, what about non-Brighamite Mormons? And atheist ex-Mormons? What about agnostic Mormon? What about LGTBQA Mormons and ex-Mormons? What about Latino and Hispanic Mormons?

Ok. Say we finally hammer out 100 categories where people have been oppressed, repressed, or distressed. On person per category gets a position. Who determines the hierarchy from least to most disadvantaged? How does this person or commission determine it? And how do they determine annual rankings as categories of unfairly treated people shift around with regard to privilege?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 pm
Canadiandude2 wrote:
My words were chosen because while it’s all great to speak of equality of opportunity, many of the barriers that women and other marginalized groups face are systemic but not easily solved through equal opportunity policies alone. In my own field of political science, there’s long been a debate as to whether the scarcity of women in politics is due to supply or demand. Over the last few years however the research suggests it’s more of a demand problem, with one proposed solution being quotas. I want a system that’s more equitable yes, but not just for women. Racialized minorities (particularly people of colour in Canada and the US), Indigenous & First Nations Peoples (who also face racial barriers), my fellow 2slgbtq+, there are a lot of people whose interests are poorly served right now. I don’t believe in any ‘end of history’ as it were, but I do think we can do better to meet the needs of disenfranchised people, and much of what the church currently stands for is either in direct or indirect opposition to this goal.

- Doc
Firstly.

The language used here is a little direct in that it assumes ‘I’ would be necessarily the [only] one initiating such quotas and finding solutions. Furthermore, I mentioned quotas as a specific policy option for a particular problem in a particular field (political representation). I don’t know that I have a solution to tackle the problem in every field’s needs. I further acknowledge that while I can speak re: the issue fields of political science, experts on similar problem in other fields might have better, different, or concurrent solutions to match its context. Nevertheless, even if quotas themselves are not a sufficient or workable policy solution for such problems in every field, my argument would still remain, and it is not necessarily the only possible solution. Mine instead is a call for greater research, resources and imagination given to improving such outcomes. An ethical argument.

Q: Would you be willing to compromise on competency or availability if the standard within your system is predicated on the physical features and sexual identity as you described above?

A: I don’t see why we’d have to compromise anything.

You’re argument (notice I didn’t say ‘you’) assumes that these bright, competent people don’t already exist in sufficient numbers, or be incentivized, trained, and supported to become sufficiently competent. Quotas can also be set at manageable targets or ranges that reflect a demographic’s general proportion of a population. Furthermore, are different standards necessarily unreasonable? For example, in the Canadian Armed Forces men and women must meet slightly different standards of physicality, and there remain many women and men able to surpass these standards all the same. The required demands and desired qualities expected of any specific branch of service personnel have also evolved, as the technology, mandates and problems faced by the militaries of established democracies change. Comment: “I ask that because if we create a hierarchy of needs based on perceived oppression or lack of representation it’s going to get complicated quickly and will breakdown under the weight of it’s own layering.”

Reply: There are a lot of assumptions within this argument. Are we so certain we don’t already have a complex hierarchy of needs, based on particular privileged group-interests, that’s not already breaking under the weight of its own making? What (and who) defines these needs? What is the logical and necessary progression here between each degree of your slippery slope? Are complex systems necessarily doomed to failure?

Your example:

“For example, excluding legacy admissions to Harvard, there exists a system in place to diversify the student population. One of the interesting things that has come out of this is that under ‘white’ admissions something like 75% of admitted white students are Jewish.

Qa: I have no idea why that rate is so high, but if Jews who make up, I dunno, 6% of the US are getting 75% of the seats, then there’s an ethnicity disequity happening where Mormons, Evangelical, Catholics, Lutherans et al are underrepresented, no?”

Qb: “Do you mandate that admissions are predicated on the hundreds, if not thousands, of groups in which people identify?”

My Response:

Can your argument be substantiated with a link to a reliable and valid source for the data provided?

Aa: Quotas might not be the perfect solution in equitably representing all identities, in all contexts, and I fear your argument misuses the term ‘ethnicity’. You speak of religious representation, at a university who’s prestigiousness incurs a massive amount of global applications. But that aside. Do you mean Mormon or Latter-Day Saint? Not all of the former are the latter and many of the latter no longer associate themselves as the former. Is there a special equity interest in representing white Latter-Day Saints at Yale or post-secondary institutions more generally? What about non-white Latter-Day Saints? Are Latter-day Saints marginalized within the United States? Are whites marginalized within the United States? In comparison to what or whom? Recall that I never had as my goal exactness. Remember that equity and equality are not the same, nor are all differences in outcomes equally disastrous. At what rate do white Latter-Day Saints achieve post-secondary education in the US? How does this compare with non-white Latter-day Saints in the US. What about between different ethnic backgrounds, and between race-based categories in the US more generally? Do the same, but with other variables: Income level; representation across high-income jobs; occupational mobility; life-expectancy; etc Is there something about being a white Latter-Day Saint that is disadvantageous in your country as opposed to being a non-white Latter-Day Saint? Caucasian compared to other ethnic backgrounds more generally in the US? Latter-Day Saints compared to other religious identities more generally in your country? What about level and degree of documented hate crimes?

Ab: Are all identities so equally and sufficiently disenfranchised in the outcomes they face as to require any special policy consideration re: attainment post-secondary education ?

My goal was never homogeneity. Exactitude. Or even the absence of unfairness. Policy furthermore is negotiable, adaptable, fluid. Indicators can be set. Other policies can be set instead or alongside. Most universities have policies that privilege the children/relatives of alumni. That could also be changed.

Final thoughts:

Upon reviewing your argument and questions, I am left with distinct impression that it may have been a reactive defence of privilege. Reactive, because it did not consider counter-arguments, or interpretations. It did not explain some of its assumptions nor much of its underlying logic (systems slippery slope). As for privilege… Of all the anecdotes to focus upon, why so much concern re: the lack of white Mormon representation at Yale? Or the premise of challenging patriarchy, and other similar systems of supremacy, with improvement not nec perfection in mind?

Curious.
Last edited by Canadiandude2 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Whoa. While I was thinking and writing, others were too!

But faster.

Lots of good and interesting comments.Perfect is the enemy of good.

And supper.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Res Ipsa wrote:

I'm skeptical at the notion that hiring practices or university admissions have much to do with competency. But I'm also skeptical that equal opportunity standards in the air necessarily manifest in equal opportunity on the ground. I don't think we should expect perfectly equal outcomes when we compare racial groups, ethnic groups, gender groups, etc. But I also think that, when the evidence shows a large disparity in hiring, or university admissions, or pay, we should stop and do our best to figure out why. Because when designing fair systems in the air, it's easy to miss structural barriers that may occur on the ground.

On the Harvard question, I have no idea whether you are talking about ethnic Jews or religiously observant Jews. But, observing a discrepancy like that, I think it would be worth spending the time and effort to understand why. Is it because Jews apply to Harvard in percentages similar to their admissions? Is there some obstacle in the admissions criteria or evaluation process that disfavors white students of different ethnicity or religion? Is there a bias toward graduates of private vs. public high schools? Are there certain high schools that admissions personnel treat as being preferred to others? If you've got a system that looks fair in theory, I think it's good practice to make sure it's working as intended.

And I don't think one needs to run around and check the balance on every imaginable category of person. But where you have evidence of historical disadvantage to a specific group based on bias, I think it makes sense to keep an eye on how institutions are functioning for those groups. For example, when illegal marijuana use is roughly equal by white and black folks, but black folks are disproportionately arrested for marijuana possession, I think it warrants spending time and effort to figure out why that is happening.
This all great. Thank you for sharing your input!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:55 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
On the Harvard question, I have no idea whether you are talking about ethnic Jews or religiously observant Jews.
I think you just provided an excellent new category we’ll have to consider when ensuring equity. For example, here in UT there exists a variety of Mormons, ex-Mormons, and everything in between. If Utah business X or Utah government agency Y have 100 positions to fill, I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t be fair to fill 100 positions with just temple recommend holding Mormons because we want representation more than we want positions filled on, say, competency. Wouldn't it be fair to hold 50 seats for non-temple recommend holding Mormons?

Well, what about non-Brighamite Mormons? And atheist ex-Mormons? What about agnostic Mormon? What about LGTBQA Mormons and ex-Mormons? What about Latino and Hispanic Mormons?

Ok. Say we finally hammer out 100 categories where people have been oppressed, repressed, or distressed. On person per category gets a position. Who determines the hierarchy from least to most disadvantaged? How does this person or commission determine it? And how do they determine annual rankings as categories of unfairly treated people shift around with regard to privilege?

- Doc
All you’ve done here is ignored almost everything in my post. Your slippery slope is based on what I specifically said I was not proposing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:21 am
Your posts are really good, Canadian. Please stick around. They're all just screwing with you. Rosebud threads bring out the worst in the people here.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Canadiandude2 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:21 am
Your posts are really good, Canadian. Please stick around. They're all just screwing with you. Rosebud threads bring out the worst in the people here.
I’m not screwing with Canadiandude. This is a discussion board, and when someone makes a declaration about something I find interesting I want to poke a bit to see the thought fleshed out a bit in order to get a better sense of their position. I thought his post was helpful in order to understand his mindset.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:56 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:55 am

- Doc
All you’ve done here is ignored almost everything in my post. Your slippery slope is based on what I specifically said I was not proposing.
I disagree that it’s a problem to point out that the complexity of the issue is a slippery slope. The solution to perceived inequity itself is rife with problems because it’s a massively complex system that’s being proposed in order to right wrongs both real and perceived. You create a double world, so to speak, where people operate using the color of your skin, your sexual preferences, your gender identity, and ethnicity to establish a new hierarchy - this new hierarchical world ends up being just as oppressive to every group that doesn’t occupy the top preferential position, and we’re expected to accept that this new hierarchy is going to avoid the pitfalls of gatekeeping based on race, ethnicity, gender, and other human fallibilities it’s supposedly trying to correct. The system itself is then designed not to correct historical wrongs, because let’s be honest, once a hierarchy is established it’s not just going to melt away because humans have reached color, gender, and ethnic blindness.

Why not design a system set to promote competency that removes these arbitrary standards? I know, I know, because marginalized groups aren’t going to measure up due to systemic inequalities. And that’s the crux of the issue. Once you determine the “system” is set up, by design, to promote one group over other groups there’s no fair way to promote equality of outcome because equality of opportunity never existed in the first place. in my opinion, creating a mirror oppressive system designed around arbitrary standards simply creates new oppression. It’s ill equipped to deal with a world that demands performance. I’m all for everyone getting a shot to be their best within whatever organization, but I’m opposed to sticking someone into an opportunistic position because of how they look, or what they believe. It’s disastrous when considered within the context of finding and selecting the best talent for one’s organization.

- Doc