The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: The distance between Christianity and the 4 Gospels

Post by Rivendale »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:13 am
For theism to be a viable explanation for the universe, it MUST describe a universe that is better explained by its own hypothetical conditions that differ from one that is simply emergent from prior conditions. God as first cause of an otherwise naturally evolving universe is no theism at all.
What does “simply emergent from prior conditions” mean?

As far as I know, “emergent” in this kind of context is a vague term. In expressions like, “consciousness emerges from neurology” or “thermodynamics emerges from mechanics,” I construe “emerges from” as “somehow comes out of”. Emergence in this sense isn’t any particular thing that anyone understands. When we say, “Humans evolved from small mammals,” we mean by “evolved” a certain class of processes of differential gene proliferation. When we say, “Consciousness emerges from brain chemistry,” in contrast, we don’t mean anything comparably specific by “emerges”. There probably is something comparably specific that we could mean, but we don’t currently know what it is. So “emergent” is just a vague placeholder term.

(Speaking of evolution: to clarify a possible misunderstanding, when honorentheos speaks of a “naturally evolving universe” he is not referring to Darwinian evolution in particular. Physicists say “evolving” to mean nothing but changing over time under the laws of nature, in whatever way that happens in the context being discussed. The Earth flying through space around the Sun is an example of time evolution; so is the absorption of light by a molecule in your retina. I’m not disagreeing with honorentheos here, just defining a jargon term that other readers might not know.)

Anyway, what about initial conditions? If a few photons had been tweaked a bit at the Big Bang, our entire solar system would never have existed. Sure, most likely some other form or sense of intelligent life would have existed instead, not here but somewhere. It remains true that the laws of nature as we know them literally cannot explain at all why our solar system exists instead of a different one, because that issue is decided by initial conditions, about which the laws say nothing at all. The laws of nature we know are all differential equations, and it is the basic nature of differential equations that they do not specify the starting point. They only tell us what will happen next, given the initial input data.

Something determined the actual initial conditions of everything in the universe. Whatever that is or was, its power to choose those initial conditions was in fact tantamount to a power to intervene in the universe in an ongoing way.

Lots of remarkable events are perfectly possible in principle, if only a lot of tiny particles were to come together just right at a certain place and time. The differential equations apply backwards in time as well as forward. So for any such a miraculous conspiracy of particles one can run the film backwards to the beginning of time and find an initial condition of the universe that would, billions of years later, produce that miraculous conspiracy—with the perfectly unerring certainty of a differential equation.

Furthermore, there would in most cases be no obvious sign, before that remarkable but predestined event finally occurred, that anything like it was going to occur. The series of perturbations in the Oort cloud that would eventually send a comet to hit the Earth would be undetectably remote and unremarkable in their implications until the event was underway. The twitch of a proton in one of my zillions of DNA strands would be completely unremarkable until after it had led to a tumor—or prevented one from forming. Yet that proton twitch would have been predestined, either way and with inevitable certainty, by the initial conditions of the universe all those billions of years ago.

Whatever it is or was that set the initial conditions of the universe, our lives are in its hands in every moment even now. Naturalism under the currently understood laws of nature is not an alternative to this feature of theism. It shares the same feature.

I thought the emergence idea or concept may be visualized by the analogy of neuron count and emergence of consciousness. It was once thought there was a threshold of neurons that would express consciousness. Was it 100? Was it 1000? Does 7 billion people communicating with cell phones have an emergence of consciousness? Is the World Wide Web conscious? Would the boiling/freezing point of water be an emergent phenomenon?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:44 am
I think the risk some find in advocating for naturalism as the best explanation for the universe is the concern it reduces life and meaning to something so minimal it leaves no room for humanity, aesthetics, love, or the poetic.

I suggest picking up Sean Carroll's 2016 book, The Big Picture if that is the case.
I second that.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:25 pm
honorentheos wrote:
I suggest picking up Sean Carroll's 2016 book, The Big Picture if that is the case.
I second that.
You both just cost me 14 bucks.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:52 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I second that.
Totally worth it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:07 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:01 pm
Yet I believe in miracles, that life arises with the care of God. I believe that people live in the light of the presence of God and receive inspiration guidance and strength from that community. That in Jesus God came to live with us and make atonement as a basis for increasing peace in our community so that there can be life eternal. None of these things can be proven. I have made no claim to prove them and have no intention to try. I do think each is in principal an extension of natural process as all things proceed from God.

If you wish to consider me a humanist I have no objection . I consider myself a humanist.
How so you view the afterlife? And are we saved by works or by grace?
I am adding a note for clarification because I mention the kingdom of heaven or the hope for a Kingdom of Heaven. I do not think that this kingdom which Jesus looked forward to is a particular church or social group. It is not a political organization or governmental system. It is not a theocratic political system. It is the human family realizing its greater potential and living in peace, creativity friendship and respect.
///////
Morley, I do not know if it is a matter of getting older or just rethinking but It has been some time since I thought I could make a reasonable imagination of what an afterlife is. I do not know. I realize the puzzle is deep enough that I might consider it meaning the life of humans to come in the future. I wonder if we can participate? Our human family needs to learn how to live better and to live in peace.

I have spent some time studying the traditional Christian doctrines and thought. There has been long standing fusses over your question which I am sure you are aware of. I think there is enough unknowns that a complete logical resolution is not possible, or clear enough for my satisfaction. I do hold some views on the question however. I think that there is no salvation without grace but I do not think grace is something remote for only a few. I do not even think it is limited to believers. I am inclined to think it is connected with peoples desire to live responsibly with others and the world we are in. We all live in a combination of grace and works. I do not see them as existing separately. Even conservative Calvinist or reformed thinking holds actual grace is producing works so they are always together. It is a theoretical exercise to say that grace is the primary foundation. ("we are saved by faith through grace and not by works lest anyman boast")

I do strongly believe that grace is for the human family not just mr mrs pious. I believe Gods grace can fill unbelievers as well as religious people. I believe grace helps and burdens Honorentheos as well as it does me or or people more pious than I am . Believers have both helped and harmed the hope of the kingdom of heaven. I think unbelievers, doubters and those suspicious of belief can make important positive contribution to the hope of a mature human race, (the kingdom of God)

I am calvinist enough to think God calls believers to believe and that is a choice made by God and not some thing people earn. However I believe that in the sense God may choose some people to be critics and that is their actual positive vocation. I see both believers and nonbelievers as living under grace and producing works which can grow the seeds of the kingdom of God in the human family. I believe the variety of religions in the world have their contributions as well. Not particularly this or that doctrine but the sense of responsibility which grows the human spirit.

But there are works that corrupt the human family. I believe that it may well require some work to get oneself outside of graces hope. I believe it can be done. How that happens is in part a mystery and I will not attempt any resolution. I do not believe hell is large but its danger is real. It is possible that working oneself to a place out of grace works oneself to a place of no longer existing.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm
Morley wrote:

I am adding a note for clarification because I mention the kingdom of heaven or the hope for a Kingdom of Heaven. I do not think that this kingdom which Jesus looked forward to is a particular church or social group. It is not a political organization or governmental system. It is not a theocratic political system. It is the human family realizing its greater potential and living in peace, creativity friendship and respect.
///////
Morley, I do not know if it is a matter of getting older or just rethinking but It has been some time since I thought I could make a reasonable imagination of what an afterlife is. I do not know. I realize the puzzle is deep enough that I might consider it meaning the life of humans to come in the future. I wonder if we can participate? Our human family needs to learn how to live better and to live in peace.

I have spent some time studying the traditional Christian doctrines and thought. There has been long standing fusses over your question which I am sure you are aware of. I think there is enough unknowns that a complete logical resolution is not possible, or clear enough for my satisfaction. I do hold some views on the question however. I think that there is no salvation without grace but I do not think grace is something remote for only a few. I do not even think it is limited to believers. I am inclined to think it is connected with peoples desire to live responsibly with others and the world we are in. We all live in a combination of grace and works. I do not see them as existing separately. Even conservative Calvinist or reformed thinking holds actual grace is producing works so they are always together. It is a theoretical exercise to say that grace is the primary foundation. ("we are saved by faith through grace and not by works lest anyman boast")

I do strongly believe that grace is for the human family not just mr mrs pious. I believe Gods grace can fill unbelievers as well as religious people. I believe grace helps and burdens Honorentheos as well as it does me or or people more pious than I am . Believers have both helped and harmed the hope of the kingdom of heaven. I think unbelievers, doubters and those suspicious of belief can make important positive contribution to the hope of a mature human race, (the kingdom of God)

I am calvinist enough to think God calls believers to believe and that is a choice made by God and not some thing people earn. However I believe that in the sense God may choose some people to be critics and that is their actual positive vocation. I see both believers and nonbelievers as living under grace and producing works which can grow the seeds of the kingdom of God in the human family. I believe the variety of religions in the world have their contributions as well. Not particularly this or that doctrine but the sense of responsibility which grows the human spirit.

But there are works that corrupt the human family. I believe that it may well require some work to get oneself outside of graces hope. I believe it can be done. How that happens is in part a mystery and I will not attempt any resolution. I do not believe hell is large but its danger is real. It is possible that working oneself to a place out of grace works oneself to a place of no longer existing.
Thank you, huckelberry, for taking the time to put that together. You did so candidly and beautifully. I don't know why, but as I read and reread, it reminded me of Martin Buber. If I ever believed in a God, I'd want it to be this god.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Morley wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:52 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I second that.
But it's dough well spent... I'm just sayin. A good read it is.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:21 pm
Morley wrote:

///////

Hey Huck... I just really enjoyed reading your missive here. Well stated. Thanks. I think the older I get, ironically, the less I think about heaven, and the more I realize man, we have a life to live right here, right now, lets live it. That is not to say I don't think heaven is real, it very may well be, but we are here for now, and so here and now is what to focus on. Heaven can wait. I don't think it really matters what you think of Jesus, like him, hate him, ignore him, but he got it right to love others. That just has seemed to resonate with me stronger the older I get. Be kind, and make friends, and just smile and enjoy what life we have right here, right now.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Morley wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:32 am

Thank you, huckelberry, for taking the time to put that together. You did so candidly and beautifully. I don't know why, but as I read and reread, it reminded me of Martin Buber. If I ever believed in a God, I'd want it to be this god.
Hi Morley, I am also a long time fan of Pieter Brueghel ,in that drawing artist and art lover the fan seems to be enjoying it more than the painter. Enjoying the paintings seems to be related.

It has been quite a few years since I read Martin Buber but I found him decidedly interesting. Besides his own thoughts there is a collection , Tales of the Hasidam, which I enjoyed. My mind may be a bit altered by Jewish thought but only a bit. Clearly my comments above directly reject some Christian conventional views. There are a variety of Christian thinkers whose direction of thought my comments relate to. Bonhoeffer's Ethics would be an example.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
honorentheos wrote:
I think the risk some find in advocating for naturalism as the best explanation for the universe is the concern it reduces life and meaning to something so minimal it leaves no room for humanity, aesthetics, love, or the poetic.

I second that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JsKwyRFiYY
As a sort of preview for the book here is a presentation by Sean Carroll. It is interesting and worthwhile I think.