Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Re: Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

Post by Tinfoilhat »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:07 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:05 pm

Please point out what's inconsistent.

Holy cow you're obtuse! A miniskirt is **NOT** a rape provocation! Just like a 17-year old kid holding an AR-15 is **NOT** an open invitation to try to kill him! I am simply trying to point out that if you falsely believe the latter, then consistency demands that you also falsely believe the former: You don't get to have it both ways!

How can you and Marcus possibly not get this extremely easy analogy, even after it's been clearly and straightforwardly broken down and explained to you in pure, correct, easy-to-understand American English?

Every other human being gets it.

Rats, mice, and cockroaches get it.

Bacteria, germs, and viruses get it.

But for some inexplicable reason, you and Marcus are the only two carbon-based compounds in the entire multiverse who DON'T get it. What are the odds that both of them would be right here on this message board? Seriously, what are the odds?

I despise sock puppets and have long considered implementing a rule against them. I always worry about the law of unexpected consequences, though. So, what does everyone think? Should we implement a rule against sock puppets?
About damned time you showed up and said something, man. I can't count how many times I have gone to bat for you in various situations. I really can't support the work you are not doing as admin right now.

There is an entire moderation thread pending some kind of input from you. The most recent issues, date back a MONTH.

There is a rule against spamming the board.
There is a rule against harassment.

Every other human being gets it.

Rats, mice, and cockroaches get it.

Bacteria, germs, and viruses get it.

Every other poster except for the trolls and their variants get it, so why don't you get it?

You have the rules we made over the years. How about use them? Faqs got queued for FAR less than what these guys have been doing to this board for months.

The issue isn't the use of sock puppets per se, it's the behaviors of the sock puppets. Every single stinking one of them is troll spamming this board and sometimes that spamming includes sexual harassment of female posters. You know like the small percentage of female posters even left on this board.

Because the others are gone. Maybe they didn't like your freaking pedestal.

I, as a poster, do not care if you outlaw or reduce the number of socks a person can use. I would very much like it if you would be so kind as to lift even one finger (not that one) to do something about the spamming and harassment issues here that the rules already provide for.

What is this, 16 years down the road and you're okay with the place turning to crap? We requested a new mod team while the old board was burning. We begged you for a new mod team on this new board. We've GOT the new mod team so USE them. Use the mods. Use the rules. Use the queue. Use suspensions. Use bans.

Do something. And don't tell me how bossy I am or call me a board nanny because if I took on the job I'd be doing it.
And there it is!! Just like I said at 12:17 on page one. All the progressives will chime in and complain about Shades and soon or a later start talking about sexism and/or racism. Every single progressive/liberal that has commented on this thread came to bash Shades. They can't help themselves!! It's part of their progressive gospel. Now that they've run off ceeboo and Cultellus, they are complaining to Shades about me while complaining about Shades at the same time🤣🤣. I swear, this is some of the funniest crap I've ever seen.

I've never tried to hide my sock puppets. Infact, I told the moderators exactly who my sock puppets are. Everyone knows! And if someone new doesn't, I go out of my way to make sure they do with in a few post. Let's look at the facts! You miserable progressives have ran off Cultellus, ceeboo, Mayan elephant, Lee universe, ldsfaqs and probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting. Ajax is still around and all you insane progressives are still being mean to him. Like I said, I understand how your brain works, you guys are never satisfied, never, never never never. You will keep complaining and insulting until the board is 100% progressives. Hell!! If Shades wasn't the head honcho you guys would be going after him also. To bad for you I'm a crazy mother fricker that enjoys being your puppet master.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Help me here. Did Shades really say he considers mini-skirts a rape provocation?
No. His miniskirt example was a reductio ad absurdum of the position that K's manner of bearing his weapon invited his attacks. He's saying that the logic of those who say Kyle invited the attack by his manner of bearing his weapon would also justify the miniskirt example. Since he rejects the logic of those who say Kyle invited the attack, he rejects the miniskirt example.

Unfortunately, the situations aren't the same since nobody has ever feared for their own safety or the safety of others upon beholding a miniskirt, and then, commenced to rape in self-defense.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:31 am

Good idea! You have a hard enough time thinking for yourself.
Why?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:39 am
Marcus 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:31 am

Good idea! You have a hard enough time thinking for yourself.
Why?
I don't know! Just felt like the right thing to say😁
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 am
<blah blah blah something something > puppet master.
Puppet master? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Parasite, you mean. Maybe a tapeworm if people are feeling generous. Think it through, mike-tin-kard-poop-2. The ONLY reason you have sock puppets is because people stopped noticing mike existed. Mike had to create sock puppets just so someone would talk to him. Bragging about it now is kinda cringey. :roll: I'm embarrassed for you man, but you brought it on yourself. What a weird life you must live if you have to hassle random discussion boards just to get your jollies.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

None of his rules are really designed to foster civil, intelligent dialogue. And your presence here is proof of that.
If he wanted civil dialogue he would never allow you on the board at all. Anyone who disagrees with you is met with nonsubstantive bullying.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 am

I don't know! Just felt like the right thing to say😁
You like her don't you? Just admit it.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:03 am
None of his rules are really designed to foster civil, intelligent dialogue. And your presence here is proof of that.
If he wanted civil dialogue he would never allow you on the board at all. Anyone who disagrees with you is met with nonsubstantive bullying.
OK. I’ll bite. Earlier, you started a new thread claiming that ‘Lin Wood is a Democrat!!’, which is pretty much a stretch for most folks to take seriously. But, maybe I’m just not being fair to you.

So … seriously … do you believe that? If so, tell me that you believe it. I’m asking you in a civil way.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Tinfoilhat, how old is she?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Shades, in response to your question about sock puppets, I don’t despise them and, when used sparingly and cleverly, they can be pretty entertaining.

The problem as I see it is the same problem all “free speech” forums. While most folks will take advantage of a free speech forum by engaging in wide ranging substantive conversations, others will use the absence of rules to disrupt speech they don’t like. And this forum has attracted a couple of individuals whose behavior here has been consistently disruptive. There is little, if any, attempt at substantive discussion. When someone tries to discuss an issue that pushes their buttons, they respond by going full on troll — not attempting to participate in the discussion but to hassle and annoy those that try to participate until they throw up their hands and stop posting.

And they will both rules lawyer and change tactics to get around any specific rules you may create. As long as they can do anything to piss off those that they perceive as enemies, they’re happy.

So, if you ban socks, you won’t get them all. And the disrupters will find something new. That’s because they aren’t here to participate in the free speech forum you provide them. They are here to disrupt speech they don’t like.

I think you’ve got a couple of choices. The easiest one to implement would be to mirror the three part structure that exists on the Mormon Discussions side of the board on the Non Mormon side of the board. I don’t understand why it has to be patterned after some tri-partite structure in Mormonism, as it’s the Non-Mormon Discussions side of the board. I’m not understanding your reluctance to do this.

Or, you can implement some type of non-trolling rule, at least in Paradise. That would require is mods to use our judgment in determining whether the post is intended to harass or annoy.

I don’t think the specific problems are addressable under the current rules. I’ve spent a ton of time thinking through applications of the rules that I could fairly use while still meeting the requirement of acting as a clone of you. Although I have a ton of respect for Jersey Girl, I don’t agree with her interpretation of the current rules.

Or, you can wait until enough folks leave to address the problem. There’s some precedent for that.

At a minimum, I would prohibit the use of socks that present a likelihood of confusion. No using someone else’s nickname with a slightly different spelling or adding 2.0 to an existing nickname.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.