The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Atlanticmike
God

The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle

Post by Atlanticmike »

There are numerous benefits a Mormon and Non-Mormon will enjoy spiritually, mentally and physically by living a "Mormon Lifestyle". For me, the Word of Wisdom has played a crucial part in my life ever since I was a young boy and being offered to smoke cigarettes while playing army in the woods. In my teen years I was constantly in situations where alcohol was the driving factor for parties I attended and because of my knowledge and adherence to the WofW, I never partook. I never really knew how important the decision of not drinking or smoking in my youth were until I was older and having to deal with employees and friends with addiction problems. On average, living a lifestyle free from addictive substances and LEARNING, let me say that again, LEARNING how to be happy can be one of the best decisions one can make while living here on this wonderful planet

I look forward to sharing many articles and links on this thread in the future that may benefit anyone positively, not just Mormons.
Chap
God

Re: The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle

Post by Chap »

While I applaud the intention of this post, and welcome the way that it is phrased, I would question whether it belongs in this forum.

Super Spirit Paradise is part of the subdivision of DiscussMormonism.com that is specifically designated as for 'Non-Mormon discussions'. That would, I think, rule out a thread on 'The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle'. The appropriate place for that would be the Celestial or Terrestrial forums in the 'Mormon Discussions' section of the board.

I would like to stress that I have nothing at all against the tone or content of AM's well-intentioned post, which could be the start of an interesting thread. But I don't think it belongs in this part of the board, for the reasons stated.

I do of course defer to Shades on this matter.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Chap wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 pm
While I applaud the intention of this post, and welcome the way that it is phrased, I would question whether it belongs in this forum.

Super Spirit Paradise is part of the subdivision of DiscussMormonism.com that is specifically designated as for 'Non-Mormon discussions'. That would, I think, rule out a thread on 'The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle'. The appropriate place for that would be the Celestial or Terrestrial forums in the 'Mormon Discussions' section of the board.

I would like to stress that I have nothing at all against the tone or content of AM's well-intentioned post, which could be the start of an interesting thread. But I don't think it belongs in this part of the board, for the reasons stated.

I do of course defer to Shades on this matter.

So I just read the rules again Chap. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but the way I read them is all forums are open for Mormon related topics, but, if a poster wants to start a non Mormon related thread, it should be done in one of the three Spirit Paradise forums.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

You could be right - to avoid wasted time and distraction, I've asked the Mods to escalate this to Shades.

Meanwhile, there would seem to be no reason for you, me or anybody else to refrain from posting in this thread, subject to properly Celestial behaviour and diction! If this thread does not belong here, it will no doubt be spirited away up to the other Celestial, together with its entire contents.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Chap wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:34 pm
You could be right - to avoid wasted time and distraction, I've asked the Mods to escalate this to Shades.

Meanwhile, there would seem to be no reason for you, me or anybody else to refrain from posting in this thread, subject to properly Celestial behaviour and diction! If this thread does not belong here, it will no doubt be spirited away up to the other Celestial, together with its entire contents.
The rules are pretty clear, this belongs in Celestial. Thanks for asking the mods to review it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I think that’s a correct reading of the rules, Mike. But we also have to take into account the forum descriptions. The board is divided into two many sections labeled “Mormon Discussions” and “Non Mormon Discussions.” Each sub forum has a description that it’s for anything non-LDS related.

Being my usual charming post-modern self, I don’t think there’s any bright line separating the two categories. If, for example, what Mike wants to discuss is the benefit of not consuming alcohol, is that an LDS or nonLDS topic?

If anyone feels strongly enough to hit the report button, I’ll dash into the nearest phone booth and change into clone of Shades and puzzle it out.

What do you mean by “what’s a phone booth?” Darn whippersnappers!

ETA: Having seen Chap’s request, I’ll pass it on to Shades.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
I think that’s a correct reading of the rules, Mike. But we also have to take into account the forum descriptions. The board is divided into two many sections labeled “Mormon Discussions” and “Non Mormon Discussions.” Each sub forum has a description that it’s for anything non-LDS related.

Being my usual charming post-modern self, I don’t think there’s any bright line separating the two categories. If, for example, what Mike wants to discuss is the benefit of not consuming alcohol, is that an LDS or nonLDS topic?

If anyone feels strongly enough to hit the report button, I’ll dash into the nearest phone booth and change into clone of Shades and puzzle it out.

I'm reading UR #5 exactly as it's written, just like a lawyer would. No where in the RULES is it stated that Mormon topics can ONLY be started in the Mormon Discussions forums. Are the descriptive headers separating the forums part of the rules?

Besides, this thread is a health thread. Can Mormonism not be discussed down here?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:16 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm

I'm reading UR #5 exactly as it's written, just like a lawyer would. No where in the RULES is it stated that Mormon topics can ONLY be started in the Mormon Discussions forums. Are the descriptive headers separating the forums part of the rules?
Yes, I said you read the rules correctly. But Shades also created the forum designations. As clones of Shades, I don’t think we would simply ignore our own forum descriptions. But what I think is moot, as it’s been kicked upstairs to Shades’ attention.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I'm glad Shades will be considering this. Here are my thoughts:
  • The title makes it an lds topic.
"The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle"
  • The first sentence makes it an lds topic:
"There are numerous benefits a Mormon and Non-Mormon will enjoy spiritually, mentally and physically by living a "Mormon Lifestyle"."
  • The second sentence makes it an lds topic:
"For me, the Word of Wisdom has played a crucial part in my life...
  • The third sentence makes it an lds topic:
"and because of my knowledge and adherence to the WofW..."
  • And the final sentence shows the intent of the author to continue introducing lds topics in a forum designated for non-lds topics:
I look forward to sharing many articles and links on this thread in the future that may benefit anyone positively, not just Mormons.

Discussing the benefits of not mis-using alcohol is a non-lds topic, agreed. That is not what this topic is.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:16 pm

Yes, I said you read the rules correctly. But Shades also created the forum designations. As clones of Shades, I don’t think we would simply ignore our own forum descriptions. But what I think is moot, as it’s been kicked upstairs to Shades’ attention.
Got it! Thank you! If I'm in error and this thread needs to be moved, I think we need to define what a ""Mormon"" is.