Systemic Racism is Alive and Well

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Systemic Racism in Louisiana

Post by Res Ipsa »

I did learn an important lesson in Jr. High school, though. You can't make a bully go away by ignoring him. There is only one way to stop a bully: find a way to hurt him and let him know that you'll continue to hurt him until he stops.

White folks in the south have been trying to keep black folks from voting for over 150 years. So, yes, I'm all in favor of MLB telling Georgians that if they're going to keep trying to suppress the black vote, they're going to take their business elsewhere. I'm in favor of consumers organizing to boycott businesses in GA to pressure them to leave the state. Because I get the message: y'all won't knock off the racist crap unless you face some consequences for your own actions.

No anti-speech laws needed. Just exercise my freedom as an American to choose where to spend my dollars and my right to freely speak and associate with other Americans.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I don’t expect adults to behave like Jr. High School students.
If Jr. High school students are capable of and expected to learn to not let name calling bother them, is it possible for black people to do the same thing?
White folks in the south have been trying to keep black folks from voting for over 150 years.
Would you care to back that up with the recent voter participation rate in Georgia during the 2020 election?
There is only one way to stop a bully: find a way to hurt him and let him know that you'll continue to hurt him until he stops.
What if that escalates into a deadly conflict?
Last edited by ajax18 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:12 pm
If Jr. High school students are capable of and expected to learn to not let name calling bother them, is it possible for black people to do the same thing?
Much better to drop the racial animosity and stop the name-calling. Become fine outstanding citizens and love your fellow humans.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
White folks in the south have been trying to keep black folks from voting for over 150 years.
Would you care to back that up with the recent voter participation rate in Georgia during the 2020 election?
There is only one way to stop a bully: find a way to hurt him and let him know that you'll continue to hurt him until he stops.
Even Jr. High students are expected not to bully others. I expect adults to not be racist.

No, I'd care too back that up with 150 years of voter suppression tactics used against black voters.

Once I figured out that bullies were, at bottom, basically cowards, I stopped the bullying without any escalation by the bullies whatsoever. But if you responded to an economic boycott by trying to kill me, I would do whatever it takes to stop you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

by the way, sorry to hear about the armed robbery attempt at the Judge's house. If one lacks judicial sobriety, that kind of event would get you hooping and hollering. I know that would do it to me.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Tell me some white racial slurs that are so sacred we can't actually say or type the word in court or online out of fear of losing your job and permanent public banishment.
Fortunately for white Americans, the nation's history hasn't had the oppressive opportunity to provide any.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Fortunately for white Americans, the nation's history hasn't had the oppressive opportunity to provide any.
Nor will the forbidden word ever lose it's sting I suppose, which is probably why black people continue to use it on each other. I'd say black people today are far more vulnerable to that word than their ancestors who actually suffered real oppression and slavery.

A good example of word that was originally intended to be an insult to WASP North Americans is "gringo." But it carries no sting. If I were to say that Sandra Sotomayor was not worthy of serving on the Supreme court because she used the term Gringo 30 years ago even Republicans would laugh. It has no sting because for the most part WASP individuals don't allow it to bother them, though the entire world is free to say it. I doubt spic carries much sting to Schmo because he doesn't allow it to bother him. It shouldn't be to hard to dig up racial slurs thrown around by Jeremiah Wright and his congregation while Obama was attending. Nobody would ever state that saying cracker or hurling unjustified accusations of racism that demonstrate real reverse racist bias would disqualify Obama from being a federal judge.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Tell me some white racial slurs that are so sacred we can't actually say or type the word in court or online out of fear of losing your job and permanent public banishment.
I thought of another good example. Would it bother you if the Reverend Jesse Jackson were elected as District attorney in your precinct given his past use of racial slurs against Jews? Should that election be nullified and void?
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:24 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm

I thought of another good example. Would it bother you if the Reverend Jesse Jackson were elected as District attorney in your precinct given his past use of racial slurs against Jews? Should that election be nullified and void?
I would think (hope) that Jackson's ethical shortcomings, and unqualified background would alone prevent him from such a position, but anyone who has expressed anti-Semitic sentiments has no place in public office, or the creation/enforcement of public policy.

Incidentally, being against anti-Semitism seems to be one of those things that largely only gets lip-service in the US, even in liberal Hollywood (Mel Gibson getting to be involved in Lethal Finale, for example).