Where did the Mormon God have sex with Mary?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Where did the Mormon God have sex with 14 year old Mary?

Post by drumdude »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:08 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 pm

[...]

But most "sane" christians believe God impregnated 14 year old Mary.

[...]
So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant. I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14, or indeed any other age.
This is true, I'm being generous. Some apocryphal accounts say she could have been as young as 12.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Like I said, then.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:24 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:08 pm

So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant. I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14, or indeed any other age.
This is true, I'm being generous. Some apocryphal accounts say she could have been as young as 12.
You realize back in those days they were talking about a virginal birth. Speculation decreasing her age would have been meant to emphasize the virginal. Even the birth was imagined as supernatural.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm
drumdude wrote:

You realize back in those days they were talking about a virginal birth. Speculation decreasing her age would have been meant to emphasize the virginal. Even the birth was imagined as supernatural.
I agree that Christians have viewed it that way, the point is that Mormons believe it was all real physical human sex processes, because of the King Follet discourse, and 100+ years of church leaders emphasizing that as quoted in the thread.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
drumdude wrote:

What was the general age girls were married off in that era?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Osirs & Isis vs. Jehovah & Mary

Post by Shulem »

If you ask me, the whole thing is a mythical joke being played on Christianity in general. The Christian writers were trying to outdo or keep up with the Egyptians. Mythical god Osiris impregnated his wife Isis upon being resurrected and thus Horus the younger was born. The Christian writers were adopting concepts and fantastic ideas of how Christ originated in order to elevate him to the level of godhood. The Christians were trying to keep up with the Egyptians while inventing a new religion.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:18 pm
This is honestly one of the dumbest doctrines that has ever been taught in Mormonism.
In fairness, the virgin birth and immaculate conception are among the dumbest doctrines taught in Christianity.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:23 pm
This is literally a discussion about an event that never happened.
It’s like arguing about whether Santa’s workshop is at true north or magnetic north.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

huckelberry wrote:

I am no expert but I believe the Greek term for virgin used in the New Testament actually referred to a young maiden and not necessarily a girl who hadn't had sex.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Christians, disingenuously, have been mistranslating the Bible to suit their own ends for centuries. Mormons still believe Mary's virginity was integral to fulfilling this prophesy in Isaiah.
Almah (עַלְמָה‎ ‘almāh, plural: עֲלָמוֹת‎ ‘ălāmōṯ, from a root implying the vigour of puberty.
The Bible uses an unrelated word, betulah (‏בְּתוּלָה), to refer to a virgin.
Compare Genesis 24:16, which speaks of an actual virgin:
“Now the girl [Rebekah] was very beautiful to behold, a virgin [בתולה, betulah]; no man had known her; and she went down to the well, filled her pitcher, and came up.” (Gen_24:16)
To Isaiah 7:14: which is translated as virgin but actually just means young girl:
“Therefore my master [Yehovah] Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the young woman [העלמה, the al-mah’ – not betulah] shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Curds and honey he shall eat, that he may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. For before the male-child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings.” (Isa 7:14-16)