Where did the Mormon God have sex with Mary?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Where did the Mormon God have sex with 14 year old Mary?

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:28 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:46 pm

You realize back in those days they were talking about a virginal birth. Speculation decreasing her age would have been meant to emphasize the virginal. Even the birth was imagined as supernatural.
I agree that Christians have viewed it that way, the point is that Mormons believe it was all real physical human sex processes, because of the King Follet discourse, and 100+ years of church leaders emphasizing that as quoted in the thread.
Drumdude, I am aware of the peculiarities of the LDS view. I was addressing the apocryphal reference to age 12. People in the development of the catholic tradition, believed Mary was a virgin not just a young girl

I think it is pretty clear that Jesus had a mother. How old she was when Jesus was born is not a piece of known information. I have read speculation that she was in her teens, but that is only a matter of maybe.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:54 pm
I think it is pretty clear that Jesus had a mother. How old she was when Jesus was born is not a piece of known information. I have read speculation that she was in her teens, but that is only a matter of maybe.
Yup. That's about it.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

toon wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:50 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:23 pm
This is literally a discussion about an event that never happened.
It’s like arguing about whether Santa’s workshop is at true north or magnetic north.
Because Canada Post takes care of such details for you, you need only specify the correct postal code - H0H 0H0 - for your Santa letters to arrive at the correct location.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:24 pm
toon wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:50 pm

It’s like arguing about whether Santa’s workshop is at true north or magnetic north.
Because Canada Post takes care of such details for you, you need only specify the correct postal code - H0H 0H0 - for your Santa letters to arrive at the correct location.
Records of baptisms for the dead end up in a similar very important file cabinet.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:08 pm
So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant.
She was likely 12 or 13.

"And when she was twelve years old there was held a council of priests, saying, ‘Behold, Mary has reached the age of twelve years in the temple of the Lord...And she wept bitterly saying, ‘As the Lord my God lives, I am pure before him, and know not man"
https://www.catholic.com/tract/mary-ever-virgin
Chap wrote:
I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14.
But it would be acceptable for many religions. Catholic law (updated in 1983) states, "If the man is under 16 years of age, or the woman is under 14 years of age, then their marriage is invalid."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedimen ... canon_law)
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 am
Catholic law (updated in 1983) states, "If the man is under 16 years of age, or the woman is under 14 years of age, then their marriage is invalid."
Could exceptions be made for those being threatened by sword-wielding angels?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

toon wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:49 pm
In fairness, the virgin birth and immaculate conception are among the dumbest doctrines taught in Christianity.
Yes, but at least we know something of the whys and how that caused Greek-speaking Christians to follow the Septuagint and surrounding mythologies, while removing some of their more disturbing aspects, to arrive at this silly idea. In the Mormon case, I think it’s just Brigham Young being the dull and plodding literalist who misread Joseph Smith in a particular way.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 am
Chap wrote:
So far as I am aware, there is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant.
She was likely 12 or 13.

"And when she was twelve years old there was held a council of priests, saying, ‘Behold, Mary has reached the age of twelve years in the temple of the Lord...And she wept bitterly saying, ‘As the Lord my God lives, I am pure before him, and know not man"
https://www.catholic.com/tract/mary-ever-virgin
Chap wrote:
I know of no major Christian group amongst whom it is generally believed that the age in question was 14.
But it would be acceptable for many religions. Catholic law (updated in 1983) states, "If the man is under 16 years of age, or the woman is under 14 years of age, then their marriage is invalid."
The source you quote via catholic.com is the Patrology of James, an apocryphal text written in the second century, probably over a hundred years later than the events it purports to describe, and of virtually no historical value. So, like I said.

The second reference is an irrelevance.

To repeat: There is no reliable historical evidence of the age at which Mary first became pregnant. And in no major Christian group is there a widespread belief that she became pregnant at any particular age. That, no more and no less, is what I assert, in response to the earlier claim that:
doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 pm
... most "sane" christians believe God impregnated 14 year old Mary.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I’d just like to note even faithful Christians agree 12-14 is a very probable age range. I’m not using some extreme atheist number pulled out of my butt.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:06 pm
I’d just like to note even faithful Christians agree 12-14 is a very probable age range. I’m not using some extreme atheist number pulled out of my butt.
I'm sure you can locate some faithful Christians who would agree with you about Mary's age. But the post I have been addressing said:

"most "sane" christians believe God impregnated 14 year old Mary."

A claim which is untrue.

(I am by the way not any kind of Christian, let alone a faithful one.)
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant: