Rogan gets Owned on Air by CNN doctor

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Rogan gets Owned on Air by CNN doctor

Post by K Graham »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4oRlqPntY8

Rogan says myocarditis is caused more from the vaccine than COVID itself, and the doctor tells him that's not true. Then Rogan says "let's look it up" and as he's reading through the study he realizes he's been wrong this whole time, but then he seems to cast doubt on the study.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Rogan gets Owned on Air by CNN doctor

Post by Dr Exiled »

Rogan might have been thinking of this recent study out of Oxford University that found an increased myocarditis risk among younger males after the second vaccine dose:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 276v1.full
Third, we report the risk associated with vaccination and infection in younger persons stratified by sex. Despite more myocarditis events occurring in older persons, the risk following COVID-19 vaccination was largely restricted to younger males aged less than 40 years, where the risks of myocarditis following vaccination and infection were similar. However, the notable exception was that in younger males receiving a second dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine, the risk of myocarditis was higher following vaccination than infection, with an additional 101 events estimated following a second dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine compared to 7 events following a positive SARS-CoV-2 test.
In summary, the risk of hospital admission or death from myocarditis is greater following COVID-19 infection than following vaccination and remains modest following sequential doses of mRNA vaccine including a third booster dose of BNT162b in the overall population. However, the risk of myocarditis following vaccination is consistently higher in younger males, particularly following a second dose of RNA mRNA-1273 vaccine.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

An important paragraph from that same paper:
There are some limitations we should acknowledge. First, the number of people receiving a third dose of ChAdOx1, or mRNA-1273 vaccine was too small to evaluate the risk of myocarditis. Second, we relied on hospital admission codes and death certification to define myocarditis, and it is possible that we have over or underestimated risk, due to misclassification. Third, although we were able to include 2,136,189 children aged 13 to 17 years old in this analysis, the number of myocarditis events was too small (n=43 in all periods and n=15 in the 1-28 days post vaccination) in this population and precluded an evaluate of risk. Given our observation that risk is largely confined to males under the age of 40 years further research is needed pooling data from international studies to evaluate further the risks in children.

Context matters. If he was referring to this study, Rogan unfortunately won’t provide that necessary context to his listeners.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I used to think Joe was open minded (5 years ago) but seeing his kneejerk reaction to defend his stupid belief just confirmed he's definitely not.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:53 am
I used to think Joe was open minded (5 years ago) but seeing his kneejerk reaction to defend his stupid belief just confirmed he's definitely not.
He's so open-minded, he falls for everything.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:34 am
Context matters. If he was referring to this study, Rogan unfortunately won’t provide that necessary context to his listeners.
Almost every good study that I've seen has a section that notes possible shortcomings in the study. They're not saying "these are the reasons to ignore our conclusions." They're saying "we recognize we are imperfect researchers and these are some ways future studies could be improved."

If the "context" negated their conclusions or data, then they wouldn't have published the study in the first place. Or at least, they wouldn't have published their study with the "here's why our study is wrong" part at the end.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

cinepro wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:34 am
Almost every good study that I've seen has a section that notes possible shortcomings in the study. They're not saying "these are the reasons to ignore our conclusions." They're saying "we recognize we are imperfect researchers and these are some ways future studies could be improved."

If the "context" negated their conclusions or data, then they wouldn't have published the study in the first place. Or at least, they wouldn't have published their study with the "here's why our study is wrong" part at the end.

Rogan’s claim (from the clip upstream) identified his group of concern as, ‘the young’. That’s a far broader category than just young males of a certain age group. His assertion wasn’t well-defined and he did not address the sample size or other cautions stated by the authors of the other study referenced above, or any other. Then he immediately attempted to sow doubt regarding any source that contested his assertion.

My comment doesn’t concern the study or its authors. They did their job. My comment relates to how Rogan - while broadcasting to millions - didn’t do his.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Canpakes wrote: My comment relates to how Rogan - while broadcasting to millions - didn’t do his.
I disagree. Rogan's average listener is a Cultellus-level "regular guy" who is unhinged and thinks there's a conspiracy against him personally. These people expect Joe to be contrarian to all institutions, especially institutions that employ people who make more money than the regular guy does. Joe made his audience happy and lined his wallet and so he did his job very well.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:18 pm
Canpakes wrote: My comment relates to how Rogan - while broadcasting to millions - didn’t do his.
I disagree. Rogan's average listener is a Cultellus-level "regular guy" who is unhinged and thinks there's a conspiracy against him personally. These people expect Joe to be contrarian to all institutions, especially institutions that employ people who make more money than the regular guy does. Joe made his audience happy and lined his wallet and so he did his job very well.
Um, no. Rogan isn't contrarian to all institutions. He's never once hosted people to bash FOX News or Trump when they are clearly the biggest and easiest targets for anyone who cares about truth. When he hosts Right Wingers (most of his shows) he treats them with respect and kiddy gloves (i.e. Candace Owens), when he hosts anyone who can be considered Left, he takes the gloves off (i.e. Gupta). He hasn't hosted a single medical expert to debunk all the lies he's told about COVID.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

K Graham wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:20 pm

Um, no. Rogan isn't contrarian to all institutions. He's never once hosted people to bash FOX News or Trump when they are clearly the biggest and easiest targets for anyone who cares about truth.
I suspect you are drastically underestimating the scope of guests Rogan has had on his show. Heck, he hosted Bernie Sanders. The only reason I know about it is because I hang out in some Sanders-supporting subreddits and they seemed to really like the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-iLk1G_ng

Also Andrew Yang.

https://jrelibrary.com/1245-andrew-yang/

And Steve Adler.

https://jrelibrary.com/1657-mayor-steve-adler/

And Dr. Cornell West.

https://jrelibrary.com/1325-dr-cornel-west/

And law professor Lawrence Lessig, who is part of this group:

https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/advis ... ce-lessig/

If you peruse the list of guests, you'll find plenty of people from the left end of the spectrum (and certified Fox-News and Trump haters). There's tons of people I've never heard of, so I suspect someone with more familiarity could pick out quite a few more.

https://jrelibrary.com/guests/

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Rogan fan. The only interview I've listened to entirely was with Robert Downey Jr.)