"Finger Lakes" Theory of Book of Mormon Geography

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: "Finger Lakes" Theory of Book of Mormon Geography

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm
Shulem wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with any of that apologetic rubbish.
You gotta include volcanism and/or earthquakes on the scale described in the Book of Mormon into your Delmarva theory Shulem. If you have HALF the imagination Joseph Smith had you should be able to do it.
It's funny that you should bring this up, mentalgymnast. None of your "volcanism and/or earthquake" links addresses the three days of darkness in which a fire could not be lit, but folks could still breathe.
3 Nephi 8: 21 And there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;
Half the imagination, indeed.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm
Anyway, I appreciate the fact that you have your opinions in regards to Book of Mormon geography. If Joseph was around maybe he would look at yours too as a possibility. Although he might also question why your geography doesn’t show/result in a good match with the internal narrative of the Book of Mormon.

I feel confident that my narrative and model as expressed in my thread is in sync and aligns with Smith's internal narrative as he contemplated his original ideas for the story PRIOR to dictating with his head in a hat.

;)

MG 2.0 wrote:
That is, if he had/has an expert knowledge on geology/tectonic plates. He probably does by now. 😉 But back then when he lived? What a risk to describe/include the destruction narrative in the Book of Mormon in such great deal detail and specificity.

Unless he was simply describing what was revealed.

You hit the hammer on the nail of the head. Yes, Smith took risks. He took a lot of risks with the Book of Mormon in making it correspond with the Bible in many ways. The KJV ate his lunch but that's another story. Smith also took a risk in pretending to interpret and translate Facsimile No. 3 and publishing those revelations in the Times and Seasons. He took a risk and lost because he was over his head and God was not speaking through him.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Along with Chiasmus and multiple authors in the Book of Mormon, one would have to agree that Joseph was an absolute genius/savant as he was looking through his stone in a hat and coming up with all this stuff…that FITS the narrative. Granted, we’ve had to speculate as to where that narrative was located.

Joseph Smith was a genius who probably had a very high IQ. But he was no scientist nor was he an Egyptologist.

Look, I gave Smith credit where credit was due in my Celestial thread 600 Years in The Book of Mormon but was also quick to point out some fatal flaws on his part. Other than that, Smith was amazing! He could count, multi-task, and maintain several stories and amalgamate them into a fluent and cogent manner.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fictional vs. real? The question that will be with us until…

Until what?

Everything is as one eternal round. Everything is as One Eternal Now!

You don't have to wait for some imagined judgement day to learn what's in the great ether and all that is vibrating in our wonderful universe. Everything Joseph Smith ever did and said is still alive today in vibrations that last forever. All you have to do is is learn to tap into those vibrations and allow your mind to expand. That's revelation!

That's how I came up with Delmarva.

;)
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:31 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm

You gotta include volcanism and/or earthquakes on the scale described in the Book of Mormon into your Delmarva theory Shulem. If you have HALF the imagination Joseph Smith had you should be able to do it.
It's funny that you should bring this up, mentalgymnast. None of your "volcanism and/or earthquake" links addresses the three days of darkness in which a fire could not be lit, but folks could still breathe.
3 Nephi 8: 21 And there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;
For your benefit let me repost one of the links that you may have failed to read all the way through.

https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org/node/111

Check out the first two narrative extracts. (Santorini, Paupa New Guinea) Go on to read about whirlwinds. Dry wood. Read the Book of Mormon account. Find the matches between the Book of Mormon and the list on page 143. Keep reading.

Don’t stop.

Joseph Smith got a lot of ‘hits’ for not having an expert knowledge of volcanology.

Not bad for having his head in a hat and making stuff up, right? 😉

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:04 pm
Look, all that matters is what's written in the Book of Mormon and what Smith said afterward makes no difference so long as his followers believed.
I think it actually does matter what he said throughout his life.
Shulem wrote:
Read the thread, MG.
You can’t keep saying that to avoid the point(s) I’m making. They stand as they are, on their own.

And you, my friend, are unwilling to read any of the links that I posted which may contradict your cherished worldview.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:13 pm
Shulem wrote:
Look, all that matters is what's written in the Book of Mormon and what Smith said afterward makes no difference so long as his followers believed.
Shulem wrote:
Read the thread, MG.
You can’t keep saying that to avoid the point(s) I’m making. They stand as they are, on their own.

And you, my friend, are unwilling to read any of the links that I posted which may contradict your cherished worldview.

Regards,
MG
Oh my goodness will you read the thread already??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 pm
Oh my goodness will you read the thread already?
Your tired old request is a simple distraction from the fact that you have nothing useful to contribute. You have not tackled even ONE of the issues, answers, comments, or contradicting views which I’ve made on this thread or the other thread running concurrently of a similar bent/nature.

You’re boring. Not engaging AT ALL.

You could start by reading the complete PDF file I’m asking Morley to read all the way through.

Or go eat some more Fruit Loops. 😁🤗

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:13 pm
Shulem wrote:
Whatever he may have said LATER can't change what's published in the 1830 version of the Book of Mormon. What's said was said, period. Nothing in the future can change or undo what he said. The 1830 publication IS THE SCENE OF THE CRIME and subsequent testimonies given that the final wars occurred in New York State confirm that the crime occurred in America proper. Those testimonies are just as valid and important as the things Smith muttered while his face was buried in a hat. Wouldn't you say?

;)
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:42 pm
Marcus wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 pm
Oh my goodness will you read the thread already?
Your tired old request is a simple distraction from the fact that you have nothing useful to contribute. You have not tackled even ONE of the issues, answers, comments, or contradicting views which I’ve made on this thread or the other thread running concurrently of a similar bent/nature.

You’re boring. Not engaging AT ALL.

You could start by reading the complete PDF file I’m asking Morley to read all the way through.

Or go eat some more Fruit Loops. 😁🤗

Regards,
MG
:lol: From the person who CONTINUES to post nonsensical items that make it absolutely clear he has not read the threads.