Rules and Moderator information

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Rules and Moderator information

Post by Jersey Girl »

Markk wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:19 am
Why not just use a World Table type of Software?

This way the status quo, or the elite regular posters that feel their opinions and narratives supersede all others, can control what is written on the site. When a poster receives a predetermined amount of negative points, they are automatically suspended or banned. This way you can have an “army of trailer park warriors” so to speak, that can take complete control of Spirit Paradise and ban those that disrupt their happy place.

And if Shades, a man who gave most of us a place to heal while we struggled with our exit from a cult…a place to let our wounds scar, decides to visit and share his opinions, he would be welcomed as long as he did not offend the elite.

I could put this in a much easier way..like ….” Just destroy Shades vision because you are selfish, soft skinned insecure folks that can’t ignore what you don’t like.” Hell, I could be wrong but his dedication to this site and caring enough to provide a forum for others to heal might even have effected his marriage? I know when I use to post here all the time it took valuable time away for my family.

Carry on…
You have no blessed idea what has gone on here.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Our world is going to crap and you are whining about a troll that is yanking your chain on a obscure Internet forum? People are dying on the streets fro drug abuse, Ukrainians are dying and forced from their country, gas is 6 bucks a gallon, a pack of M&M’s is 2.09, Nickle just rose 250% and I have to pay 400$ for (1). Stainless steel 4x4 post base, a pound of bacon is $10.00, a pound of solder is $42.00, and you are upset about a Internet forum troll?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ha, markk. We’re on the brink of world war 3 and you’re worried about gas being 6$ a gallon and who is moderating at a Mormon discussion board?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:13 am
Our world is going to crap and you are whining about a troll that is yanking your chain on a obscure Internet forum? People are dying on the streets fro drug abuse, Ukrainians are dying and forced from their country, gas is 6 bucks a gallon, a pack of M&M’s is 2.09, Nickle just rose 250% and I have to pay 400$ for (1). Stainless steel 4x4 post base, a pound of bacon is $10.00, a pound of solder is $42.00, and you are upset about a Internet forum troll?
You seem upset enough about this obscure Internet forum to accuse people of destroying it. That sounds pretty similar to Jersey Girl to me.

One can always argue that thing X is more important than thing Y. Does that imply that we should care about nothing?

ETA: beaten to the punch by the Dean. Again.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:32 am
Markk wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:13 am
You seem upset enough about this obscure Internet forum to accuse people of destroying it. That sounds pretty similar to Jersey Girl to me.

One can always argue that thing X is more important than thing Y. Does that imply that we should care about nothing?

Huh? In what way does it sound pretty similar to me? Explain...and be honest about it, please.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

I am worried about 6 dollar a gallon gas for those that can't afford it, i am blessed I will get by, I hope. And if you read my posts it is about how you guys are dumping on Shades vision, not who is moderating, but that there is a need to do so. But your point is taken and maybe we all need to take a step back and look at what is really important.

Take care.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:36 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:32 am

Huh? In what way does it sound pretty similar to me? Explain...and be honest about it, please.
In that you both perceive that something is an existential threat to the board and are reacting to it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:39 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:36 am

In that you both perceive that something is an existential threat to the board and are reacting to it.

I'll own that. Thank you.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Potential Rule Changes

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm

But I've been on forums before where the OP had control over his own thread. It didn't cause any issues, but made things far more pleasant and organized.
We used to have thread starter rights at the beginning of this board.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Potential Rule Changes

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:40 am
K Graham wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm

But I've been on forums before where the OP had control over his own thread. It didn't cause any issues, but made things far more pleasant and organized.
We used to have thread starter rights at the beginning of this board.
My evidence.

_Yoda wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 am
Jersey Girl wrote:My darling liz,

Since you brought up the issue of the thread starter...what exactly is board policy on the preferences of the thread starter? Can we ask people to depart the thread?

Jersey Girl
There really isn't anything written in the Board Rules regarding starters of threads. As a courtesy, if someone starts a thread, Shades and I will normally consult with that thread originator before splitting a thread to ensure that continuity is intact.

As far as a thread originator asking an individual to leave a thread or not post in it, it is certainly within the thread originator's right to insist that a poster remain on topic. Since we're all adults, we should, out of common decency, abide by that courtesy if asked.

For example, in Harmony's "Ancient" thread in the Terrestrial Forum, I brought up a topic which Harmony felt was unrelated, and asked if I would refrain from continuing a discussion in that particular vein. I respectfully acknowledged her request, and posted further comments more directly on topic.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=1535229

Here is Shades on the issue:
_Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm
KimberlyAnn wrote:There is a new feature in the Celestial Kingdom which I feel is antithetical to the purpose of this board. . . Never did I imagine opposing views wouldn't be allowed on this board!
Allow me to clarify: Opposing views are just as allowable now as they ever were. The only difference is that a thread starter may now set down certain parameters for his/her own thread.

In other words, if someone posts his or her testimony of Christ or the divine calling of Joseph Smith, you can't challenge that testimony in the thread itself. You are perfectly free to challenge everything he or she said, but you'll merely have to start a new thread about it in the Terrestrial Forum is all. Title it something like, "Challenge to ___'s testimony in the Celestial Forum" or something like that.

So you're still free to say whatever you want. Thread starters in the Celestial Forum are simply allowed a little more leeway to determine the venue is all.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=1640329

This is why I called to reinstate thread starter rights earlier in this current situation. It would solve a lot in terms of board etiquette. As I recall, I got no response nor a ruling on that.

Slava Ukraini!